Some Sad News to hit the Surfing World Today.

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by RMcKnee »

Shocked.

This kind of stuff should not happen. Stands as a stark reminder that in spite of all our science and technology we still depend on each other as much as ever.

Andy was a nice guy. Late one afternoon a few years ago in the lead-up to the Quikkie Pro, I was surfing the Superbank. Usual crowd, solid 4-5ft waves, falling tide, no wind. Having failed to make an impossibly fast section going into Greenmount, I went down in a blaze of barrelling glory at full speed. On surfacing I was greeted with the smiling face of AI, who had just fallen victim to the same section on the wave previous. We laughed at each other and then watched his brother eat it right in front of us on the next wave seconds later. When a guy at the top of his game can find the time to share a little stoke with a grizzled kneeboarder in a crowded line-up thousands of miles from home just for the sake of a smile ... well, you can't buy that stuff for any amount of money.

Here on the Goldie AI will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

I was shocked also, made me feel sick thinking about his partner being pregnant.

and I thought to myself, what about the ASP's "Care of Duty" here?
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

steen, there are reports that he was admitted into hospital but discharged himself & went to his hotel. Also that there was other medication found on his night table including one that contained methadone.If this is true and he was an adult, so how can the ASP be responsible for an individuals actions? I think the duty of care thing has gotten way out of hand. People have got to start taking responsibility for their own actions.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

I see your point, suprised me how sad it made me feel
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
womble
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by womble »

Regardless of any facts that may surface ... AI was and will always remain a surfing enigma. A truly amazing surfer ... with a passion to match his talent ... outspoken maybe ... or maybe just brutally honest.
Three in a row ... yes three in a row ... surfing against supposedly the best ever. Yet Kelly got smoked by this guy ... repeatedly.
To be that ruthlessly focused and at the top of your game ... to be better than the best ... yet somehow despised for achieving your goals ... constantly beating the golden child. That has to take something out of you.
I gained a newfound respect for Andy after watching some recent interviews ... he seemed humbled and content ... almost zen like ... happy with his place in the world.
He just wanted to get home ... who could blame him ... it's just another sad story now ... and a great loss for his family. A sad day indeed.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

RMcKnee wrote:Shocked.

This kind of stuff should not happen. Stands as a stark reminder that in spite of all our science and technology we still depend on each other as much as ever.

Andy was a nice guy. Late one afternoon a few years ago in the lead-up to the Quikkie Pro, I was surfing the Superbank. Usual crowd, solid 4-5ft waves, falling tide, no wind. Having failed to make an impossibly fast section going into Greenmount, I went down in a blaze of barrelling glory at full speed. On surfacing I was greeted with the smiling face of AI, who had just fallen victim to the same section on the wave previous. We laughed at each other and then watched his brother eat it right in front of us on the next wave seconds later. When a guy at the top of his game can find the time to share a little stoke with a grizzled kneeboarder in a crowded line-up thousands of miles from home just for the sake of a smile ... well, you can't buy that stuff for any amount of money.
Great story R.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

analbirth wrote: People have got to start taking responsibility for their own actions.
AB your right. I was reading the early reports where it sounded like he was too sick to continue the flight, and they took him off. I assumed he was flying with an entourage.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
day
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by day »

Hawaii has lost one of her favorite sons.
All wave riders have lost a brother.
His family and friends on Kauai have lost their beloved.

Let's not take another day for granted. Hug your family and friends and tell them how much you love them. Share Aloha in A.I. name.
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

He had big figs i know that for sure with his no care attitude at pipe and chopes. S adly missed
rooster

Post by rooster »

Andy Irons

RIP

:(
Never trade luck for skill.
KenM

Post by KenM »

There is a report that Aussie competitor Owen Wright says that he, fellow Aussie Chris Davidson, South African Travis Logie as well Kelly Slater's girlfriend Kalani Miller all fell ill with similar symptoms after the Portugal leg of the tour. The cause of their illnesses is so far unconfirmed.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thought I would pass on what I consider to be some great writing about AI even though I am not a writer. The last sentence really kicks you in the stomach.
http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/news/ ... s-obituary

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Ken, I haven't been able to read about this unfortunate news,(RIP Andy), but if he did pass away fron Dengue Fever, it is a collection of several viruses that are passed to humans from a mosquito bite! :(
jdc

Post by jdc »

womble wrote:He just wanted to get home

perhaps he is

:arrow:
i like surfing
KenM

Post by KenM »

Mark Ramirez wrote:Ken, I haven't been able to read about this unfortunate news,(RIP Andy), but if he did pass away fron Dengue Fever, it is a collection of several viruses that are passed to humans from a mosquito bite! :(
Mark, there has been a huge increase in the numbers of the particular type of mosquito that carries Dengue in Portugal in the last couple of years.
Captain Kneemo fan club