Calf pain (not cramps)?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

TimM
Local (More than 25 post)

Calf pain (not cramps)?

Post by TimM »

I've been having the wierdest pain in my calf when riding a wave, it almost feels like there is a build-up of pressure from kneeling on it.. When I first paddle out and get a few it seems fine but after a few it seems to build up.. It is especially painfull when I pull off a wave and staighten my leg again, almost as if when the pressure is realeased it also hurts..

If I don't surf for a few days it seems a bit better but when I surf for many days in a row it gets a lot worse..

I'm considering trying to bind it up with some kind of strapping to see if that doesn't help..

Any ideas?
mmanners

calf /knee pain

Post by mmanners »

IF what you are experiencing is over or around the knee, it sounds a lot like what is comonnly called water on the knee. I've had this before and if it gets bad enough they lance it and remove the liquid. If it's at the top of your calf and if feels better when rested it sounds like a ligament strain, which I have also had. Binding it will help temporarily but it may not do anything long term. The easiest thing to try is cold and heat for 15 minutes each in a series of three sets together, that may give you pretty good temporariry relief. You could take something for the connective tissue, Manganese (not Magnesium) and B6 together work well for nerve endings and help with ligament and tendon connections. There are things called Joint compounds (usually sufidin and chondridin) but these will need to be taken for about 2 weeks before you feel any results. Good old buffered (easier on stomach) Aspirin or Willow Bark (natural aspirin) will also help temporarily.

Take care and enjoy the glide,
Mark
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

are you using pads on your boards? if so how thick are they?
TimM

Post by TimM »

Thanks foir the response Mark, it sounds like it might be a case of ligament damage.. I'm going to try and persue some of your ecommendations and see if it improves a bit..

I do use pads Albert, I would say they are around 8-10mm thick.. do you think that thicker pads might also be beneficial..?