Tahiti and Malaria

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Tahiti and Malaria

Post by red »

Don and Bud's headline on the home page reminded me of this.

Your doctor may recommend about a zillion innoculations before you travel to Tahiti (or other distant locales). Be aware that the side-effects may be worse than the risk of disease (DrStrange?). If you ate lots of sand as a kid you may have good resistance, anyway.

But in particular to Malaria, be aware that antimalarials are mostly no longer effective and have nasty side effects (and don't work against Ross River fever which is a real nasty). You're better off ensuring that you don't get bitten by using repellants and covering up with clothes. Sure the repellants are not good for you either, but you will only be using them for 2 weeks or so, and you won't be ingesting quite as much poison.

I always carry a mosquito net now and a thumbtack so I can rig it anywhere I stay without aircon. Weighs about 300g (a can of beer). Worth every gram.
Brendan
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Brendan »

I worked in New Guinea for 9 years and only took the pills for the first 3 trips. Nivaquin and Chloroquin (spelling). One you had to take weekly and the other daily. The weekly one tripped me out so bad I could not focus on things for 2 - 3 days afterwards. Now I'm not saying you should not get shots or take preventative medication but my experience was not a good one. I stopped taking the medication as I was working in a areas of PNG that were regularily fogged for mozzies (once every two days). I think I got bit probably 5 times in 35 trips to the country.

Again I am not advocating not taking the medication but be aware of the potential side effects and don't just consult your local practitioner. Go see someone who specializes in that field. Medications for prevention of Malaria differ depending on what country you travel to.

Also if you've seen before and after photos of Malaria sufferers you'll know what emaciated means. Depending of which type you get it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Brendan
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
Bryan Jackson

Post by Bryan Jackson »

Since the post topic is "Tahiti and Malaria", please be advised that there is no malaria in Tahiti or most other parts of Polynesia (Samoa, Tonga, Tuamotu, Cook Islands, etc.). Although other nasty diseases, such as Dengue Fever, which are transmitted by mosquito bites may be present in Tahiti, fortunately malaria is not among them :D .

Also, although malaria is serious problem throughout much of Melanesia on islands such as New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, fortunately Fiji has no malaria.

Indonesia, of course, is a malarial hotbed :twisted: .
Bud

Post by Bud »

Good Points Boys,

Malaria wasn't my main concern but Dengue Fever was.
Both are bad for sure.
There isn't any medication for Dengue.
It's seen a more recent surge in cases throughout the South Pacific.
We had an epidemic here recently.
It started from a Maui based hula troup that had visited Tahiti.
They got it and spread it to their community in Hana (40 cases).
From there it went state wide affecting nearly all islands.

I've had similar experience with anti malarial meds.
WILD dreams! and it generally made me feel weird.
I haven't used any for over 15 years.

NOTE: NEVER TAKE CLOROQUIN WITH BEER!
I watched a friend get very ill and foam at the mouth from trying that.
Also a friends wife ruined her complextion by taking larium.

The side effects are a real concern to these anti malarial meds.
That's why they reccomend taking them 10 days before a trip.
It's to see if you have a negative reaction to it as much as getting it into your system before you arrive at your destination.

Simple common sense should be your guide to keep from getting bit by mozzies.

The prime mozzie times are the hours just after sun up and just before and after sun down. Stay coverd up and use repellent at these times.

It's easy to slip up and stand around after a days surf session, watching the sun set, chatting with mates and sucking down a few beers.

Go get covered up first.

There might be some benefit to trying natural products like Eucalyptus oil mozzie spray and eating lots of garlic.
I've read that mozzies like and can smell blood with higher sugar content.
Not so sure about all that though.
But it's been suggested that not eating sweets can help.
I do know they are attracted to dark clothing.
Light colors are best for your protective clothing.
Hope everyone reads this and the WHO page link I provided.
Bud
albert

Post by albert »

I remember a huge campaign to inform people of dengue fever when I was living in Puerto Rico. I dont remember most of it now, but I do remember that the main thing one should do in a country where dengue fever is present is to make sure there are no small accumulations of water (puddles, pots, or even tires) near where you are sleeping. Mostly because thats where they breed, and dengue fever carrying mozzies do not tend to travel very far from their nest.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Several hundred mg of vit B1 may keep the biters away.

Artemisinin (Allergy research) has been used (I think I remember this right) for quite awhile in S.E. Asia for malaria, even drug resistant strains.

Dengue no joke. But always when you travel check with both the US govt and the consulate of the country you are going to. When I went to India got 2 very different stories as to what innoculations ot get. Turned out, it was based on US telling to get the ones for long term delayed onset one's (ie malaria) even though danger almost nil and Indian's telling to get for quick and nasty (ie cholera) which was a considerable danger, because no one wanted you to die on their turf.

Bottom line is ask lots of questions first. For tropical disease risk I'd probably go with DEET for repellant rather than risk effectivenss of essential oils. Citronel etc might work but the risk is enough that I'd go with the jungle strength chems. After my experience with my wife having Lyme, I don't want ANY chance of getting any of those wierd diseases.
red

Post by red »

I read somewhere that mossies can be attracted to people who eat bananas. I eliminate banana from my diet in the tropics and change from mossie magnet to just another piece of meat.

Garlic has no effect one way or the other, in my experience. Vitamin B1 eh? Roll out the Vegemite!

Incense is a good deterrent for mossies (smokepots using citronella also work, but give off a lot of soot). I think that the effect is purely physical. Mossies home in first on carbon dioxide (breath) and other odours (smelly feet), then do a body heat thing to detect where blood is close to the surface. I think the smoke (or a breeze, like a fan or wind) confuses the odour trail and slows the rate at which mossies can home in. Funny how many cigarette smokers object to incense, though.

Bryan,
Are there sand flies in Tahiti? (microscopic bities that live in beach sand). Read in "Wolverine is eating my leg" that this can be an issue for visitors on some Polynesian islands. Apparently bleach is adequate deterrent for short periods.
Jack Beresford

bugs

Post by Jack Beresford »

Anyone been to Stoners in Mex? Greg and I were there the summer before last. The last half-mile of road before you pull up to the break you run a gauntlet - literally clouds of mosquitos waiting to bite your ass as soon as you exit your car. So you roll up the windows (100-plus in shade heat) and run for the water as soon as you park. They back off once you get about 30 feet from shore.

Funny episode: Greg's buddy Eric put the car keys - complete with electronic theft device in his surf trunks. When we got out of the water the car wouldn't start because it shorted out. We kept trying every few minutes - running from waist-deep water to the car and back in the hope it would dry. Greg started freaking at the thought of walking through a half-mile of mossy-hell. I was ready to paddle it. After about 45 minutes of letting the keys dry out on the dashboard the car turned over.
Jack Beresford
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »