Shoulder Bursitis

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

fruitbat
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Shoulder Bursitis

Post by fruitbat »

Anyone had shoulder bursitis?Had a steroid injection 3 days ago still giving me grief-any feedback welcome
mmanners
Local (More than 25 post)

shoulder

Post by mmanners »

I've had joint problems in various places, and I've had cortizone and steroid injections several times. One thing I have learned is that if the shot is not injected exactly where it's needed then you will get little or no relief. The best thing for temporary relief is a set of 3, 20 minutes each with ice and heat, followed by slow full range (as much as possilbe) movements. If you can do this a few times a day for a few days you should get pretty good relief, but if it gets too painfull ice and rest are the best.

Take care and enjoy the glide,
M2
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Thanks manners-the injection was done int the bursa under ultrasound guidance-worst time is getting up in the morning waiting for things to settle down.At least I am better than this tim last week.
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

fruit, silly question but have you seen your physio? i know from experience that bursa's do react well to ultrasound treatment.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Fruitbat,
I've been dealing with bursitis in my hip, and the best therapy so far is an ice pack on the area three to four times a day. I saw a huge improvement when I increased the ice frequency, especially morning therapy while I'm eating breakfast. I bought those pharmacy freeze packs, keep one at work and home. Physical therapist also showed me some correct stretches that have really loosened up the joint. I assume there are some similar shoulder stretches.
Newest therapy is apparently injection of synovial fluid into the joint, not well tested yet.
Good Luck
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
day

Post by day »

Aloha fb,
Sorry to hear about your shoulder pain.
The bursae is a fluid filled sac that acts like a cushion between your rotator cuff tendon and the overhanging bone (acromion). When the bursae gets over irritated, it becomes inflamed ->bursitis.
Many things can cause shoulder pain, and a good evaluation by a physio (as suggested by ab) or an orthopedic surgeon can help in really getting the right diagnosis and cause.
One of the primary causes of shoulder pain is impingement of the soft tissue (bursae and rotator cuff tendon) between the top of the arm bone (humerus) and the overhanging bone (acromion). The repeated pinching of the soft tissue leads to inflammation (bursitis and/or tendonitis).
Besides getting treatment for the inflammation (injection, ice, ultrasound, etc) you want to find out what irritated the tissue in the first place and correct or eliminate the cause of the irritation. This is where the physio can be of help. A good physio can analyze your shoulder mechanics, your posture/position of your shoulder, your activities, your muscle balance and strength, etc and figure out why your shoulder went "bad". Based on a good evaluation, corrective treatment/suggestions can be initiated.
Hope you find the help you need and get back in the water before surf withdrawal and mental health issues set in.
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Thanks all-shoulder is slowly getting better, I have been seeing a phiso for the last couple of months then the shoulder went wacko 2 weeks ago. I will see the GP tomorrow. Also a muscular skeletal dude on Wednesday. Thanks for all your feedback. Got a new board 2 weeks ago so I will have mental issues if this does not get better soon.

Thanks again

Eric