Skin care...

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Don
Admin

Skin care...

Post by Don »

Well,

After 27 years of fun in the sun it's catching up with me. 10 years ago I had Mohs surgery on my forehead (23 stitches) and today another couple of nips to remove basil cells that are progressing.

I go to the dermy once a year now and wear a hat most days when out of hte water and a hood with a visor while in the water. Curse of the Irish to be born with fair skin and grow up in Huntington Beach.

Oddly enough in asking my Dr. about the brand of sunscreen to use she simply said "does it contain zinc oxide?"... Now I remember as a youthful grom, zinc oxide was pretty messy and Lord forbid you should rub your face with it on. Kind of like trying to shake off fly paper... Unfortunately, I didn't use the ZO and now I'm paying the price.

For those of you with thick skin or dark skinned ancestory, you've got a few more protective components built in... but for the fair skinned make sure you use the screen, hats and whatever else you need because it WILL catch up with you.

Of course the by product of Mohs was getting a face-lift at 32... Once I realized my forehead wrinkles were gone I also noticed my eyebrows sitting 1/2 inch higher! Todays nips got rid of the crows feet on one side and my sagging neck skin on the other... a vision of beauty I tell you! You'll hardly recognize me at Jalama!

I joke about this but know it's scaring the heck out of me to think what's going to happen in 20 years!

OK... I'm off my soapbox.
Don Harris
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

zinc cream

Post by john - »

evening Don and others in search of "sunsmart" techniques

perhaps for the world titles and given doc strange was saying he was having trouble finding the coloured varities in his locale, an Australian could take a case full of coloured zinc cream to Tahiti.

Then national teams could zinc up in national colours - Green and gold(yellow?) for ozz - red, white and blue for the usa and so forth

nationalism, tribal, sunsmart and stupid fun

get the kids into kneeboarding because kneelos wear THE WILDEST SUNSCREEN- IM TALKIN young, 3 to 10 years old or so!! Any older and they my well have been brainwashed by other stuff - like standing up and wearing creasy sunsreen - we should brainwash them earlier!

It does seem that zinc cream like vegimite has to be employed early - like breast milk - to get a taste for it - perhaps an aussie should take some vegimite to the titles - oh sh#*! that was probably simon farrier's secret weapon - opps!!! terrible stuff vegimite forget i mentioned it!

i wish i was the bag person for the coloured zinc cream - they even timed it for school holidays

good luck

dorje
merely labled
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I've had chunks taken out of my hide over the past, few years. Last year I had a good size bit removed from my forehead.

I grew up outdoors, hunting and fishing and surfing, and was taught to wear hats and watch sun exposure. I've always been careful but the sun still gets you. I

've always protected my children since Day One.......we had the colored "Zinca" when they were really little so it was fun for them to paint their faces at the beach. Now that they are almost out of their teenage years, I'm still telling them to wear sunblock and wear a hat.

I would suggest everyone definitely wear a hat....and not just a baseball cap. Find a hat with a wide brim that covers the tops of your ears and the back of your neck. I have several, including a canvas hat by the Canadian firm Tilly. It has a sunblock rating of around 50 and is used by ocean-going sailors and the Canadian special forces-washes up in the machine and packs flat when traveling.
kbing since plywood days
gsurf
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by gsurf »

Even us darker skin folks need to get check out EVERY YEAR if you been exposed to burns when you were younger,
Case in point, to SCARE those who think otherwise to get checked.
Lost a good friend five years ago. He was 48. Italian dark complexion had a tiny mole on the back of his neck just in the hair line. It itched off and on and occassionally bled. We finally prodded him to get it looked at.
Too late. The mole had mastitized and spread to his spine. Game over.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Thanx for sharing, gsurf. Its really important that all of us to be aware of the danger of sun exposure and take care of ourselves and loved ones.

Lets keep a dialog going on various topics such as the best sunblock, hat, lyrca rash guards, etc.
kbing since plywood days
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

It does seem that zinc cream like vegimite has to be employed early - like breast milk - to get a taste for it
Never tasted Zinc...mmmmmm, zinc. Good news is basal and squamous carcinomas, the common kinds are supposed to not be risk factor for melanoma the really dangerous kind. Also they are pretty non-invasive.

About 3 years ago someone told me that essential oil of carrot would cure sun damage. Been using Burt's Bees Carrot Day Cream for after shave ever since. After about 6 months it had cleared up all my whatever they are called, keritosis?, pre cancer crusty spost... So far so good. Also I think the new fad of topical Vit C may be super helpful and rejuvinative for damage. Has to be the fat soluble kind. There's a bunch of less expensive knock off products based on the work of Pericone, a derm doc who was on PBS and has built a small empire around anti aging skin stuff. High levels of antioxidents in and on yer bod...

And definitely don't hesitate to see Dermatologist is anything odd on your skin. Melanoma is one of the few cancers where early detection/treatment can very likely save your life. (Late diagnosis and the stats are bad, bad, bad.)
john -

lipstick

Post by john - »

good morning Dr strange - it is here!

its a bit like lipstick - didnt like the smell or taste when mum gave me the goodbye pecks but learnt to love the stuff at about 16 years old - for obvious reasons

zinc taste on the lips is an aquired tolerance!! for obvious reasons - though not as good as the above ones

your original zinc call is prooving itself

cheers

dorje
merely labled
barry

Skin stuff

Post by barry »

Happily I say that the spots haven't gotten me.
But seeing we should all be concerned about prevention and treatment.
I have been spending lots of time recently investigating the benefits of
Essential Oils. There are lots of properties in essential oils that are proven to be antioxidants, antibacteria, anti--fungal,tumor,cancer,parasite, inflamatory, spasm,etc. etc.
there is even research being done at John Hopkins new facility in florida studying the effects/benefits of theraputic grade oils on various types of cancer tissues and diseases.Young Living Essential Oils are tested and proven to be The Highest Quality available across the globe.
I have been benefiting from applying these oils topically and internally
for over 6 months now. Please investigate this it could benefit you also.
the company website is www.youngliving.com
and for more info look into my personal website
http://benefiteverybody.younglivingworld.com
If any of you have questions about this please contact me
Barry
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Hey Don I here you, I hate the sun. Or should I say the sun hates me? I had a huge spot on the top of my left ear and it was growing. So a little plastic surgery and 36 stiches later I'm o.k. But I have to tell you, with all the traveling I do I'm the first to wear a rash gaurd and use sunscreen. The one spot I never thought of was my earlobes. Well that came back to haunt me. Thank goodness it is taking care of. Greg....
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

sun damage !!!

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:cry: :cry: cathy uses me to strain the pasta.
i had enough chunks cut out to make a 6 dollar burger.

thank you coco butter & baby oil ????????

:twisted: :twisted: pay to play :twisted: :twisted:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Its hard to imagine what people were thinking back when we were kids, watching people slather themselves with Baby Oil and coca butter.
As Jimmy Buffet once sang (something to the effect) about tourists coverd with oil, beginning to boil.

When I was at Scout camp in Big Sur back in the mid 1960's, I had a canoe instructor from South Africa who had his own method of 'tanning': he had the cooks save chicken grease in #10 cans then he would grease himself up and sit in the sun......

I used every method I could to not get too much sun. The reason was very basic; I wanted to surf more and sunburns were too painful to be in the sun. Wish I would have known more about ling range health matters.
kbing since plywood days
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Didn't mention this before as it is small local company but checked and they do mail order. Burt's Bees I started with and it did me good. This is better:

www.benedettta.com

tele: 888-868-8331

Skin care all organic essential oils. Their moisturizers and face oils approx SPF 10 due to naturally occuring anti ox in the oils. Very soon to come out with sun protection product currently being tested in Ariz desert. Red haired white skined lady says that and their geranium oil and she is getting tan for first time in life instead of fry.

They look costy but a little goes a LONG way. I now use their Neroli moisturizer for after shave and one bottle lasts me at least 3 months. 2 small squirts and a bit of toner and rub all over face and neck.

I NEVER thought I'd see the day I'd be using "ladies skin care" but hey, it seems to be working.

p.s. full disclosure, Benedetta folks are friends. But that is how I know they are fanatic about quality. Young Living does make good oils but they cost tons as they are Network marketing company (dont' get me started on that!!!!). But I also have to say that essential oils are a shady wierd risky market . Many are adulturated withe synthetic petro perfumes and don't tell you that. YOung Living is a for sure reputable source for oils.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

My wife has been using Bert's Bees products for years. I found some of that carrot daily cream under the sink and slapped some on this AM. Thanx, Dr. Strange.
kbing since plywood days
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Yeah, that Burt's will take the sting outta the old razor burn...
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

My turn!

Had a basal cell CA removed from my forehead today (only 9 stitches). Designated photog for the next swell I guess :wink:
Will use a surf hat more frequently now than before. I have a cool floppy hat style that I currently use and a new baseball style hat similar to what Gav, Nov, and Dogman use that I haven't tried yet.

Also, I'll probably be using this sunscreen most of the time now. It's a good formula that is very water resistant yet elegant (that's a pharmaceutical term by the way..). And, they are a generous sponsor of the 2011 KSUSA Titles! :D 8)

http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/

So, get your checkups everyone and cover up all of the time. For instance, use a daily moisturizer every AM with "broad-spectrum" coverage for daily living. That means UVA (skin damage/cancer causing) and UVB (sunburn) protection. Neutragena has some nice products for this use.

-Brad