Mutiny injured.

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Mutiny injured.

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Preliminary reports are that Tom did a face plant into the board, or sand, and was briefly paralyzed this morning at the Cove in some building, and heaving 6-8ft waves that were causing the sand to churn to the surface.
Tom's wife Jen said Ed Dimick saved his life bringing him in to shore. Tom is in the hospital, I couldn't get in, but Jen says he will be fine, he is not paralyzed, but his arms still have that burning sensation.
This is all I know.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Big Fred
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Big Fred »

Update on Tom he has bulging in his spinal column between C3 C4 and will be having surgery within the next day or so to correct this. I will be keeping everyone updated on his condition through Jenn.
scott hayward

Post by scott hayward »

Just talked to Jennifer.C-3, C-4, C-5 compression. Tom is alert and being moved from ER at the moment. Probably needs to be with family only right now. (hosp. rules) I am sure we all will be there for him in the days to come. We are currently helping a family and my wife has a program we will post to provide meals for the family.
" Tom you are one gnarly dude and we are sure you will do fine"
Love, the Haywards
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Prayers for you Tom from the Odom family.
Never leave well enough alone.
khoningford

Mutiny injured

Post by khoningford »

Just saw this...sounds very similar to my own injury. Thank God Ed was there to get Tom to the sand. I'll be in to see you as soon as it's OK Tom, until then I've got you in some serious prayer brother.
spidah da kneeridah
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Just saw this, holy crap, please pass our best wishes to Tom, I'll let Waka & Slats know (if they don't already).

Hoping for a speedy recovery Tom,
Cheers Russ (Wolruss)
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

Prayers and Positive smoke headed his way for a speedy and full recovery..

Jeff
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Prayers for quick healing!

Cheering for you up here, Tom.

Awesome work Ed!

Tom = Timex... takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' :D
fishfinger
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by fishfinger »

tom was so lucky ed paddled down there ...we were all away from him for awhile and there was only a couple guys out where he was...here is some more of the same report from his wife...
Hi tom....tom is at Hoag in neuro icu he is able to move everything but his c3 and c4 are affected and be will be having surgery today or tomorrow. He has gotten some mega doses of steroids and is now on a steroid drip. He has alot of burning sensation on his arms. Ed Dimik saved his life. Pulled him out of the water. Tom said he opened his eyes under water and thought his life over. Fred Rodriguez came to wake me up. Please let all the guys know. I will post fequently on face book. Ask to be my friend. He is resting now...got some fentanyl. Thanks for asking about him. Jennifer.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

:(
Speedy recovery, my friend.
Ed Dimick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Ed Dimick »

Here's what happened with Tom. I had just taken and wave and was inside watching Tom paddle in to a right hand set wave. He carved a big bottom turn and set up for a a big barrel that closed out on him. I was giving Tom a big hoot when I noticed he didn't come up right away. When he did, it wasn't the usually surface and find your board. He was bobbing on his side. I paddled up to him and asked him if he was ok. Tom let me know he needed help. I asked him what was wrong and he said he couldn't move. I put him in front of me with both of us floating on our backs and started kicking in to shore. Our boards were still tethered to us and we were in the impact zone which created some problems until we could get further in. A big thanks to stand-up Larry, Wayne Kopit's buddy, for seeing there was a problem and quickly paddling in to take Tom the rest of the way to short while I got our boards untethered. Tom walked out of the water which was a big sigh of relief for all of us. Get well soon buddy. I'm so glad I was nearby to help out.
geo

Post by geo »

Speedy recovery Tom, all the best!
Anthony B

Post by Anthony B »

Get well soon Tom
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

new report...
Jennifer Backer Thanks Tom for posting. Tom is resting, just got some Ativan IV and is feeling good. Got a little antsy with the neck brace on and having to stay still. Just found out he will go into surgery tonight.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

So glad you survived that Tom!! I'm praying for a successful surgery tonight and a full recovery....as long as that may take.

In the past few years Jim, Kenny, Chris Beresford, and myself have all hit bottom head first, or had severe neck injuries from heaving lips. NOT a good Club to be in.

Way to go Ed. So thankful you were on the spot and were there for Tom :D 8)

Keep us posted Fred!