helmets - health and safety

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by DarcyM »

behind every lucky surfer is a good woman
Is that why I keep getting shoulder-hopped by footboarders? I'll only be good for so long, though, before I turn bad .... very bad ... :twisted:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
john -

Post by john - »

apologies

Behind most good ideas are women!!!!!

dorje
merely labled
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

what was that....

from behind most women are a good idea.... :shock:

apologies :oops:

I know, I know....................... :wink: outaline I know sorry :oops:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
fooj

Gath Surf Convertable

Post by fooj »

Has anyone used or handled the new Gath Convertable Surf helmet. It has removeable ears and looks pretty versatile, no visor though. I'm wondering about the quality and durability, also about the liner if its the same stuff as in their other helmets.
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

I checked out the Gath convertable before I bought the standard model w/ visor. The ear pieces on the convertable looked pretty hokey and seemed hard to deal with. The guy at the shop said most have been sold to people that did not want their ears covered and would therefore not use the "flaps".
Go with the visor. It is great for cutting the afternoon or morning glare.
fooj

Post by fooj »

Thanks. Is Gath the only surf helmet manufacturer? Gotta be others. Gecko in the UK? Didn't come up with much from a google search.
fooj

Post by fooj »

Ok. Took the plunge and bought a Gath convertible. Wore it for about 2 weeks in mostly small surf. Went out to 5 foot Backyards got worked pretty good. (BTW Bud, Da Hale looking good.) The fit of the helmet is poor, it is loose and darn near pulled over the back of my head creating a strangulation hazard. The velcroed-in foam spacers came off with the helmet just sitting in my house, thought I lost one surfing but found it later on my desk. Good idea but it seems to have some design flaws which will make themselves very apparent in waves of consequence. Though I can't seem to pinpoint what the flaws are. Fortunately, as I was cursing the damn thing, I ran into a guy who works at the shop that I purchased it from and he had had similar problems. He was very understanding and allowed me a store credit past the return date. Now I have an original Gath surf hat on order. I do hope this one works as I've heard many people say.

After a surf, some kids started asking me about the helmet. They thought it was cool and started begging their dad to get them one. I found that interesting, seems the kids are more receptive to helmets for everything, skating, biking, blading heck why not surfing. Invest now in the helmet market because it may be ready to explode.
john -

Post by john - »

jfooj

8 years in ths gath original with visor - no problemo

yesterday started to rain, dropped the visor down an inch 8) do the same when the wind is blowing the spray back into the face on the drop

its lasted 8 years so far (countless wipeouts) the original with or without visor should be solid

good to hear the kids like it - perhaps they will be nice to us old men in our goovey surf gear!

dorje
merely labled
Scott

Post by Scott »

Anyone got a Gath helmet he'd like to sell? Even the used ones I see on EBay are pretty pricey.

Scott
stemple

Post by stemple »

I got a black medium I will sell you. Contact me
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yeah, let's keep the helmet in the NorCal family. Jack B. is getting way too organized with his SoCal guys and maybe a few stitches in the noggen will slow some of those hot-shots down!

Scott
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

My std Gath (no visor) must be over 20 yr old now and still going strong. Just bought a Predator face guard for it in the hopes of reducing the frequency of nose impacts/bloody noses from (too) late drops--but I'm kind of skeptical how that will work out since the strap doesn't have a chin cup. On the other hand, maybe the visual impact will at least repel nearby surfers.
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
splashy

Post by splashy »

I got a Gath standard years ago after I helped a guy in who copped his board in the back of the head - it punched in inch by 4 four inch section of skull back into his brain. He eventually came out of it. Baden did an awesome pearl spray on it for me (sweeeeeet). I usually wear it on reefs in waves when I just get that "feeling" that I should need it. A couple of times I have come it with extra scratches and dints on it when I didn't even realise I had hit the reef. Great value. Naver had any problem with it and it is a great place to stash valuabe you don't want broken in the luggage when travelling. :D
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
eanorga

Helmets

Post by eanorga »

Just got my first helmet. A Protec from Gotriver website. Fifty bucks+ shipping. It's comfortable. Figure it's worth protecting my most valuable asset.