My heart was all A-flutter

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

My heart was all A-flutter

Post by bdwqld »

"My heart was all A-flutter"
A line from The Pig Song where our hero ended up in the gutter with his heart all a-flutter.
I ended up on the kitchen floor a 3:43am (the stove clock was the first thing I saw when I came to), my circumstances were not from too much to drink as was the pig man's problem.
I had Atrial Flutter:
"Atrial flutter (AFL) is an abnormal heart rhythm that occurs in the atria of the heart.[1] When it first occurs, it is usually associated with a fast heart rate or tachycardia (beats over 100 per minute),[2] and falls into the category of supra-ventricular tachycardias."
Thank you Wikipedia.
I first picked this up when I went to the gym, turned my heart rate monitor on to see it sitting at 160 bpm. What the, turned it off and back on again same result, reset it, same result. "Bloody thing is broken" however something in the back of my mind figured there was something wrong.
That night I out it on my partner (it was still at 140bpm on me) her reading was 70 bpm, something was wrong.
As I was working away I waited until I flew home and went to the Doc. I was severely chastised by my Doc and sent straight to the emergency rooms at the closest hospital. I spent the rest of the day on heart rate monitors and ended up with a list of pills to take to slow my heart down. A week later the drugs hadn't had their desired result so I was on the table having Cardioversion to reset the beat.
Excellent everything back to normal for three days.. Then I came too on my kitchen floor, back in hospital with wires going everywhere. By this stage one side of my chest had been shaved that many times I was starting to get a rash. Ever had a shower with wires and a grey box hanging off you? How about being woken in the early hours by a flustered nurse who tells me "Your hearts going really fast" my reply "that's why I'm in here".
I digress: another cardiversion followed by an Intracardiac electrophysiology study (EPS) is a test to look at the heart's electrical function. This meant having my groin shaved on the opposite side of my chest, now I have two embarrassingly itchy areas to attend to. A catheter was inserted into my femoral artery and some wires were put through the artery all the way to my heart. Here they monitored what my heart was doing and found a dodgy nerve which was ablated (zapped) and the problem fixed! A problem I was told I had all my life :shock:
It has been almost four weeks of regular heart rate that behaves itself. 8)
Why am I telling you this???
Because wanderer would not let me have my new board for 2 weeks!!! He tells me it was for my own good :?
I am convinced that he was colluding with my wife to keep me out of the water and working around my neglected home :wink:
I don't know what was worse sitting in hospital or knowing that your new board had arrived and you couldn't get at it :evil:
No.. None of the above: the sudden death of a friend and this little episode has made me really appreciate how precious life, family and friendship really is. :D 8)
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

wohaa, thank fuk your alright, would be a bummer to bow out without surfing your newby :wink:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Glad your ok sounds scary
Kev

Post by Kev »

freaks me out !
you need a hug

good luck with the new stick
wanderer gets a hug too
:)
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

G`day Byron, if you ever watched the Sleek Geeks series on ABC, they say that surfing is one of the least strenuous sports.
If you think about the time we spend waiting for sets rather than paddling or surfing, they may be right. Cleaning the house for 2 weeks may have been a healthier option after all.
Glad to hear you`re ok, and hope you`ve got pleanty more years ahead.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Strewth mate, a close call. We're lucky to be able to simply front up at Emergency and get fixed up more or less straight away. I'd guess the extra waves you'll get on that new board are going to be fair compensation for an itchy groin ...
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

An itchy groin is really hard to scratch in a steamer. :lol:
New stick, more waves arrr... Queensland spring bugger all waves, oh well looks like the house gets more done to it. Might even get my shed finished, ha ha ha ha, I even make myself laugh!!! :P :shock:
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

thats the main thing :wink: good thing the " scare " didn't change your realistic self expectation thingamiewhosawhatsit :roll:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

Hey Byron,
Glad to hear the Docs figured out what was up and zapped that pesky electrical impulse you've been plagued with.
I've been an RN for over a decade and too familiar with your condition.
I'm also the guy who picks Scott up from the Hilton and takes him surfing when he's up here in Southern California.
Your new stick is very very nice. Hopefully this one won't end up wrapped around your itchy body like the last one! :D
Took Wanderer surfing this morning but we didn't get into the water. Big, walled up, and super crowded.
Sat at the Wedge for about an hour watching all the carnage though.
Amazing place. A great show. 15-20 ft faces busting into 3 feet of water.
Scott has pics and probably some video.
Take care,
Jim
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

its good to hear your doin better :D and a sense of humor helps ward off bad thoughts :lol: my neighbor, who is a dedicated body builder, also suffered from the same thing you had and is doing wayyyyyyy better after the dr. tweaked with my neighbors electrical currents...bits... in his body..
now he's back to sculpting his body :lol:
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

mate, I know too well what your dealin' with as I myself have had quite a few of those little episodes.........
Have you had the injection yet..............Now there's something to be very F@%$ing scared about, E-denizen I think its called,literally kills you for a second and re-sets your heart rate.
the feelings your body goes through that few seconds after the shot when your body is shutting down are pretty freaky but as quickly as they start they're all over and your all good again......
My doctor once explained it to me as if our hearts were an engine, with two spark plugs to keep it in rythym and firing..........But I have three which causes the extra spark ,therefore sending my heart rate skyward.Ive had several episodes in my 43 years but mainly in the second half of my life......basically when I discovered abusing fast drugs,caffiene,cigarettes and coca cola. They are not a good mix but since I have given up the most of them..........(damn you coffee shop) I have been ok.........(unless the missus sh@ts me or the kids start arguing)No,no no only joking.....anyway everything in moderation and stay healthy mate....Damo
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ha :!: Small world. I had a episode of the ATF too. About a year and a half ago. While mowing the lawn :evil: :oops: And I too, received the dreaded injection. The doctor said before administering it that I would experience " the feeling of impending doom " And that's exactly how it felt. Vowed never to mow the lawn again :idea:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Those pills sound nasty :(
I had the paddles, but the only thing I remember is having a sore throat when they put a "TOE" down it too have a look for clots. No idea what a longboarder was doing in there.

Jerry try Astro-turf 8) that way you don't have to mow! :) And you get more water time :idea:

Damo I know what you mean, a long black or a macchiatto just doesn't taste the same without coffee :twisted:

Interesting to hear that I am not alone, you spend the first half of your life neglecting your body subconsciously believing that it is infallible. :?
Then you spend the next half putting it back together again, not quite the Humpty Dumpty syndrome, must have run out of kings horses... :oops:

My the rest of our lives be a long and regular sinus rhythm. Need more Kneelos in the crowd.
:D
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

[quote=" " the feeling of impending doom :[/quote]"
Man, that must be the "manträ"in the medical world for describing that adensione(thats the name)........
a few little hints Ive been told If it happens again is to plunge youself in cold-freezing water (as to shock yourself back into rythym) or blowing hard into a large straw but pinch the end so no air escapes,or just belting yourself in the chest (don't like that one)
Were you doing any strenuous activities,stressed,too much caffiene...(including those evil energy drinks,drugs"Hell" did you just finish shagging the missus :lol: :lol: :oops: just curious as to what bought it on so I can "compare"notes..............Damo
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Shaggin da missus, wozzat :!: :shock: :shock:
Now that would be worthy of AF. :lol:
I am not certain when or how it started, my theory :idea: was being hammered by a 3m New Caledonian monster I was trying to avoid. When I duck dived and went backwards over the falls :( I still had hold on my board :o
The two of us had a lovely time in the washing machine (knocking each other around), followed by a massive hold down, lots of panic stuff, a very short gasp of yummy air, another ridiculous hold down.
When I finally surfaced I was 200m down the reef in about 1m of water, not feeling real special either. :( :shock:
All of this on a hangover :mrgreen:
I must have looked worse than usual because the guy I was surfing with was very concerned.
So I ended up with AF (possibly) and a board creased in three places, one of the creases cracking the rail. I didn't pick it up (AF) till I got back and went to the gym. I had indigestion for a few days before the gym, I have since been told that this (indigestion) is a possible symptom of a heart complaint. I though it was from very rich French food,beer and wine, that came with the trip. :oops: