Watershades.

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

fooj
Legend (Contribution King!)

Watershades.

Post by fooj »

Since we're talking about helmets it seems that water sunglasses aren't too far off the topic. Does anybody wear these? Are they any good? Do they get in the way? Yesterday, I prevented my face from frying by applying a fine layer of zinc oxide. Unfortunately, my eyes got blasted; ahhh... midday in Hawaii.
ScottMac

Watershades.

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Ed Quinn wears a helmet with a visor... my first thoughts weren't real high on it until we were in Indo and he was both protected from the shallows and the drop down visor had a nice dark tint.

So THEN he goes and gets one painted like the Easy Rider helmet... Don't worry about spotting him in the line up... you couldn't miss him if you tried!!!

My birthday is coming... perhaps I'll throw one on the list.

8) 8) 8)
Don Harris
Ler

birthday boy

Post by Ler »

You'll can finally throw away the I.D. and by beer legally Happy 21st.

Ler
MTBarrels
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MTBarrels »

I've tried a wide variety of goggles, including competitive swimming goggles of various configurations. But I've always had problems with them coming off in wipe-outs. That makes me worry about possible abrasion of the eye, or worse, when that happens. Hence when I'm somewhere where there's lots of sun, I typically pull them down and let them hang around my neck (on a leash) before catching a wave.

MT
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
red

Post by red »

Another use for glasses goggles:
I often surf a reef in howling onshores. The paddle out through the rip can be murderous after a few hours, with water whipping off the front of the board and lacerating the eyeballs (I think some of the salt is crystalline, that way it stings). Anyway, I just have swim goggles around my neck and use them for the paddle out. They help when the glare gets too bad, but I never surf with them on - they limit the vision too much.

I find a peak does a good job of cutting glare, but have to flip it back when riding waves otherwise i can't see enough of the lip and my timing goes off.
Birdie
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Birdie »

Lets see..

I have prescription goggles allocated for the pool. They cost a mint and come off in the impact- surf zone...etc. Speedo Barracuda's. Other than the cost & loss factors, you could scare people out of the line-up with them...that old fish eye pool geek look.

There are a cheaper version of Oakleys Water jackets called Sea Spec's. They run $60.00 US. Connect them to your zipper leash and hang them around your neck when on waves...use anti- fog and dish soap.

I have a gath helmet with a full visor - 98% UV protection. Needs anti-fog and dish soap....or fogs on the paddle out. I have a totally cool airbrushed one...has a sort of Neptune on Acid look....helps cope with longboards, reef and rocks, too.....not to mention, works well on a kayak.

Also, have the goggles from Austrailia....I forget the name....got them at Murray's.

Keep SAND away from all lenses.

My contacts offer UV protection.

Birdie
kneemor

barz googles

Post by kneemor »

barz googles work great!

Made for surfing with retainer leash.
scoop

Post by scoop »

jfoot

At our last comp down here @ Coff's I met a fellow distributing (his own company) a new range of surf glasses (worn in the water) or in other active sport situation so that the glasses breath and dont fog up...and drain water along with an adjustable retaining strap to keep them on your head and the best bit is that thet are much more affordable than the "namebrand" glasses marketed today but just as good if not better
look up www.sundogeyewear.com.au or contact resortsalesgolf@aceconnect.com.au

I hope this is of help

Cheers

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Techno

Sundog Eyewear

Post by Techno »

Scoop - and all others - the correct address is:

http://www.sundogeyewear.com

the .au link is wrong.
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
willkirkdrive
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

sunglasses

Post by willkirkdrive »

I have been wearing a set of sunglasses called Silverfish designed for surfing and other water sports (www.silverfish.com), and they are tested at the wedge. I have used mine for a year now and I have never had them come loose even a little. They cost around 100 bucks and the best thing is you can wear them as everyday shades. If you want eye protection in the surf then I would highly recommend these glasses.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Following EQ's advice I bought a Gath helmut w/ sun visor before my trip to Indo earlier this month. The visor was the ticket for those sessions when we were sitting in the line-up facing the sun. When everyone was squinting turning their heads, etc... I would pull the visor down just enough to cut the glare and was able to keep my eyeballs from becoming toasted. Can't say the same for the rest of the guys on the boat, their's all got roasted.
Additionally the helmut saved my scalp when my noggin decided to greet the inside reef at HT's during one of my trips across the sergeons table. Good investment.
skeg

Re: barz googles

Post by skeg »

kneemor wrote:barz googles work great!

Made for surfing with retainer leash.
Just me(?) but lens got sucked out early first session in average waves. Will give SeaSpecs or Silverfish a go. Thanks. Dunno 'bout the - polarise - bit for surfers, though. We need to see the water's surface - not see through it.
Last edited by skeg on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimbo

Sea Specs

Post by Jimbo »

They work well. Can be a bit of an issue with spotting up but I have never tried dishsoap or anti fog or anything. Great for hard offshores (Nica) and you can wear them when you are sitting in the line up and push them down when going for a wave if you want. Good for the $$$
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Oakley Water Jackets
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman