Razor's freak accident

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Amanda Taylor
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Razor's freak accident

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Yesterday morning, Chuck Smith/AKA Razor was involved in a freak work-related accident. He was working in Ontario with his son Preston when his nailgun misfired. He was conscious the entire time, and didn't know what hit him for ten minutes. The severity of this accident was not revealed until an x-ray showed a 3-1/2 inch nail in his brain. The nail entered just under his eye (he was wearing eye protection, polycarbonate lenses won't stop a nail.) He was taken to UCI medical center where he underwent surgery last night. His three sons and their mom were there with him, along with Greg Shuman and Tom Backer. This information came to me from Greg, Wayne K and Big Fred. When I have updated info, I will post. If anyone has updated information, please post.
Chuck is the founder of Kneelo Cove in HB, longtime kneelo, and terrific friend. Please send prayers and healing thoughts his direction.
You know, when the phone rings and the first words you hear are "Have you heard about...?" It's never good. Joe and I were shocked to hear the news.
Chuck is such a great man, who we always look forward to seeing and hanging out with most every week.
Speedy recovery, Razor.
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

omg chuck...alot of us use nail guns on a daily basis,i will have new respect for them in the future...we will pray for a speedy recovery...
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

I`ve been shot by a nailgun more times then I care admit, But luckly, nothing serious.. Hope everything goes well and Razor makes a full recovery!!!
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Quick update...
Razor made it through the 7 hour surgery to remove the nail from his brain. He's in neuro ICU. Joe and I are headed up there shortly to see him. I don't have all the information yet, but will post later when we get back from seeing him. Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Just got a text from JimnPutz who's there now and says Razor looks great and is joking around, just like normal...
geo

Post by geo »

Good news Amanda! Wishing you a speedy recovery Razor
Akio Matsumoto
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Akio Matsumoto »

Wow :shock: Razor, Iam So Glad The Nail Did Not Hit Your Eye Ball,This Is Bad & Close One. My Best Wishes to Your Fast Recovery . You Have Always Been Cool & Nice To Every One ,Get Well Soon. Akio
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Oh my gosh! Thanks Amanda for the updates!

Razor, so glad you made it through. Praying for a speedy recovery with no setbacks. God Bless you :D
joe

Post by joe »

So sorry to hear about this accident. Best wishes for a full recovery.
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Joe and I just returned from the hospital. Razor is doing remarkedly well, all things considered. He is a very lucky man.
He's laughing, smiling, moving, joking around, in typical Razor fashion. His spirits are high and says he's feeling pretty good.

There were a couple of his doctors who came in while we were there, and they all agree, the man has nine lives (well, maybe eight now...). The eye doctor removed the patch and did some testing. He said he may need a cornea transplant, which they'll do in the next couple of days. The neurosurgeon was there and she removed the drain from his head. She too says he's doing great and looks terrific.

Razor is doing so well, in fact, he most likely will get moved to a lower level of care today. They are working diligently on pain management. As Chuck says, "He's got a splitting headache." Go figure... nothing like having a nail lodged in your frontal lobe to give you a headache, right?

Anyway, he's doing great and thanks everyone for the support of him and his family.
BillL

Post by BillL »

Wow Chuck, I'm so stoked you're doing better, here's to a safe and rapid recovery.
cake

Post by cake »

Heard the news this morning. What a shocker! All I can say is that it is a relief that you are OK. You were missed in the line-up. Take care, and get well soon. Cake
ross

Post by ross »

Hey get well soon chuck!I use nailguns most days of the week and will now be sure to wear eye protection after hearing about this!!
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

I was at the hospital hanging out with the Razorman yesterday along with Joe and Amanda and we asked one of the MANY surgeons that came in about the "trail of the nail" so to speak. Here's what happened.
Chuck was wearing his safety glasses. His nailgun kicked back and slammed into the right side of his face. Somehow a 3 1/4" nail entered his right cheekbone about an inch and a half below his right eye. Traveling in an upward direction it penetrated his maxillary sinus into the bottom of his orbit, passed through his eyeball, out through the top of his orbit ending up in the frontal lobe.
A team of amazing surgeons working together removed the nail and patched up his eye. He looks surprisingly great after all that he's been through and his mental cognition seems totally unaffected. Doing so well the plan yesterday was to transfer him to the Neuro Step Down Unit which is ONE STEP closer to the front door!
The staff over at UCIMC are doing everything in their power to keep him as comfortable as can be.
Just a helluvan amazing guy that's for sure.
Hoping and praying that his recovery will be swift and as painless as possible.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Yeah I've been praying for my brother ever since I heard about it from our friend Jerry Small Friday afternoon. I'm so glad to here my brother is on his way back to recovery.....