Ears and operations

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

IronMonkeyone
Local (More than 25 post)

Ears and operations

Post by IronMonkeyone »

Hi all,
I had my left ear operated on for removal of the dreaded exostosis. The operation started with the girl trying to give me an IVstart, it was only a 20gauge needle and she wanted to numb it with lidocaine(hmmm, why?) and while she was fishing around missing my vasculature and stabbing my muscle tissue, I broke into a nervous sweat and became outraged. I snatched the catheter from her, and told her that she needs to leave the room, and wasn't welcome back, and that I would start my own IV. I have ropes for veins so it really isn't that hard. I was about to go home and call it a day at this point. I don't mind blood or body parts as long as it's someone elses...So emotionally shot, i proceeded to gear up mentally for the operation , after watching way too many operations on Youtube the night before. The anesthesiologist came in and we chatted, then my doctor came in(Dr. Cyrus Torchninsky in SD), and we discussed the operation, and I was good to go, Layed down on the operating table anesthesia hit and I was out. I awoke in the recovery room after a SEVEN HOUR surgery. What normally takes 90 minutes to 2.5 hours took a little longer. 41 years of surfing in cold water, cold wind made for some crazy growths in back of other crazy growths, the exostosis growths were actually morphing and growing skin amongst themselves, while one was leaning against my eardrum, WITH AN INFECTION BEHIND IT!!! Geez, insult to injury. Dr. Torchinsky is a technician who took his time to delicately remove the morphed alien-like growths without any bone damage or facial nerve compromise. I feel pretty good and on the mend.So, on the 8th of December, I go in for packing removal, and the beginning of sucking out the sludge of my ear. Both ears were 99% occluded. The left ear looked the worst on the scope, but my right ear is by far my weakest. I am gonna attack that one in May or June after PUMPING spring swells that we have coming. my $5000 insurance deductable is getting a workout this year. After a almost deathly debilitating lung bacterial bout a couple of months back... I am in fighting form now. My ear got put back in the right place without any added obscure angles either. I felt compelled to share my experience, as we all are subjected to different degrees of cold wind and water, and some people are pre-disposed to get Exostosis(surfers ear) than others. It is no fun. I had it pretty bad in the 80's, but ear plugs held off surgery to the bitter end. I did a pretty diligent amount of research and felt very comfortable with my doctor. He has performed at least 60 of these surgeries SUCCESSFULLY, and he has a technicians prowess. I can relate. I also advised him that it only takes 13 pounds of pressure for my katana to remove his head from his body, so he was very motivated to perform a skillful job! (HAA!!! I didn't tell him that, but it's a fact just the same) ,;-)
I will advise you on my progress. It has been a long time coming, and I expect to have monumental hearing gain. A new lease on life.
Enjoy the surf.
Happy Holidays and good cheer, Joey Goodman
I am part monkey and part fish. Opposable thumbs and great set of gills and flippers.
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Wow Joey, thanks for the report! Stoked for you that you have finally been able to have surgery. Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery with no setbacks 8)
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I wonder if Mexicare covers Surfer's Ear? Going to check to see if there will be a Christmas truce in the war in Matamoros.
Surf Hard Live Slow
IronMonkeyone

ear better

Post by IronMonkeyone »

Today Dr. Torchinsky pulled out more packing, and for the first time in decades, my eardrum was in clear view. And I can hear better than I did back in the late 80's. Loud music, cold wind, cold water played a huge role in closing my ears up. So, I would definitely recommend Dr. Cyrus Torchinsky for anyone who is thinking about getting exostosis removed. He is a true technician and takes care of his patients. I am gonna start wearing a hood for those freezing cold mornings!
:) Joey
I am part monkey and part fish. Opposable thumbs and great set of gills and flippers.
Bob Gove

ear and operations

Post by Bob Gove »

I started having problems with my ears in the late 80's, clogging up after surf sessions, but have been using earplugs religiously since then, with no problems (except when going to the tropics, which seems to dislodge any errant wax). I use Earplanes which have a hole in the middle and a valve that keeps out water. They are designed for use on airplanes to help with clearing you eustachian tubes on ascent and descent, but the bonus for surfers is that they allow you about 80% of your normal hearing. They run about $6 at CVS or Rite Aid-you can even find some generic brand occasionally. Hope this heps.
Bumps
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bumps »

I've had a total of 4 exostosis ops, 2 in each ear. The first opp in the early 80's left me with tinnitus in my lt ear and with substantial hearing loss. It's only a problem when I'm in a quite room, consequently I enjoy noise environments!! some positives there guys. Way back then, they did not have the dissolving foam packs they use to pack the ear, rather very fine gauze, which they would remove after about 4 weeks and it would feel like they were pulling out the core of your brain....pretty bizzare!!

Make sure you get the best surgeon possible, my first two, even though the first resulted in tinnitus was a good outcome. the second series was poor. The guy had not done enough and was too cautious, resulting in not enough removal of the bone growths.

Moral of the story, ask how many they have done, google and get your GP to ask around as to who he would go too!

Merry Christmas!!
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
Paul

Pediatric docs.

Post by Paul »

I know it sounds bizarre, if you must have this surgery, consider having it done by a pediatric surgeon.

I'm a PEDS traveling nurse, but when I was a staff nurse at Texas Children's Hospital I had the honor to work with some great slicers and dicers. I guess that because I had the inside track, one especially skilled ENT surgeon took me on when I asked him to cut out my blockages. Why did I ask him? Because of his technique. Pediatric docs don't peel the ear forward to get to the bone, they go right down the outer ear canal using especially fine and delicate Dremel like tools. It takes an especially light and skilled touch but recovery is shorter and it has less chances of scaring and infection.

Six years post-op and I have better hearing than any of my co-workers, most half my age.

I hope that this is something to throw into your internet search. Think about it: If a doc can do this same surgery on little tiny kid's ears, then doing it on adult structures is akin to hitting that ropey vein that Ray Charles could have started an IV on.
M.E.
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by M.E. »

I had both my ears done last week, left ear at 99% blockage and right ear at 90%. left ear was bad, the doc cut it from behind and folded the ear forward to have better acess to the ear canal. right ear was no problem, straight in with a 1 mil chisel, tap tap and done... a total of five hours on the cutting board.
These things are progressive and I've been having problems for a long time. now that this is behind me my advise would be to get it done before the blockage crosses the line that requires the doc to practiacaly cut your ear off. I slept on my right ear the night of the opperation and my left ear (5 days post op) still hurts bad :(
on the bright side The WSW that rolled thru the Nard last weekend was on fire and my three day pre op barrel count was ridiculous 8)