cramps

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

cramps

Post by K-man »

After a few hours of surfing I've been getting cramps [calf] Not all the time,just enough to make it miserable.Been taking my vit-k,eats lots of bananas,although it supposedly makes ya more prone to get get chewed by mosquitoes.Exercise-plenty.Lots of walking,all the good spots are a hike.
Any suggestions?Doc[north of here]you always seem to have a trick up your sleeve.So all you docs,PTs,nurses.vets,joksters,drinkers,slinkers-I'm all ears.

THANKS!
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Strectching other times besides pre go out, as in every day. Probably already do that?

Here's my latest fad: topical magnesium. Don't have info at hand but google "Norm Shealy" +DHEA and you'll get a load. He has a whole thing about anti-aging and lot of diseases and probs caused by Mg deficiency and oral dosing doesn't work well. He claims his magic lotion (receipe below) daily for one month will put more of the mineral in your cells than sevearl years of pills. Let me know if you try it as I am just starting to experiment myself and would love to hear the good, bad and ugly.

Magnesium Chloride aka Nigari (like used to make Tofu) I got at local health co-op for $1.89 a pound. (Shealy sells it for 3 pounds for $46!!!) Just be sure it's food grade. Powder it in dry blender and mix with water, ratio by volume, 1 part MgCl and 2 part water. I'm about to get some xanthan gumn or guar gum and add a pinch to make it a little thicker and easier to handle the liquid. That is what is in his finished lotion. Spread it all over your bod 2 tsp 2 times a day if under 130 pounds and 3 tsp if over. Avoid sensitive areas as it will sting like a mo'fo'.

I immedieatley noticed my achy oldman shoulders hurt less minutes after applying. lOng term no idea but Mg is definitely an anti-cramp magic thing. Great for women with PMS-cramps. Supposed to raise DHEA levels and give more energy and make you younger longer. If it stops your cramps only, its all good. Cheap too. If you cna't find in store, post and I'll dig up a mail order I found.
DarcyM

cramps

Post by DarcyM »

I've been fairly cramp free lately (knock on wood), and I've been prone to get leg cramps so debilitating that it keeps me out of the water for a couple days.

Bob W turned me onto a product called EMERGEN-C, a powder you mix with water for mega doses of Vit C, Mg and Potassium. It's available at health food markets like Henry's. I actually haven't had to use it lately (it helps with recovery, it worked great for me in Hawaii last year), but I keep a packet or two in the car just in case.

I've also been a lot more diligent about drinking water. I drink water all the time now, and make sure I have some before I go out, and more when I come back in. Cramping is due to loss of minerals and loss of water (dehydration). I used to drink a gatorade, but water works just fine and without the calories. I also have banana's to eat pretty regularly, although Avocado is supposedly higher in potassium.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
john -

Post by john - »

VEGEMITE - ON TOAST - NO TOAST IN AN EMERGENCY

DORJE
merely labled
Scott

A Lot Of Cramping Suggestions

Post by Scott »

K-Man,

This topic received some in-depth attention about a year ago, with a lot of guys weighing in with their favorite methods of dealing with cramps. Check out: viewtopic.php?t=77

Darcy, I like your water idea. I might add that to my regimen.

Scott
john -

Post by john - »

Tantric sex before a surf :wink:

However this practice requires no emission thus the retention of the vital juices :shock:

- good news is with all that juice no cramps 8)

having traveled extensively through the north of india and the himalaya i have read some stuff

4 posts in 50 mentioning sex calculates to a 2% preoccupation :wink:

dorje
merely labled
Birdie
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Best Mag tablets

Post by Birdie »

Magnesium Glycinate is the most absorable type of magnesium.

Other types of magnesium are difficult for your body to absorb, thus use.

I get Mag Glycinate made by Metagenics.

It's the best as far as I know...

http://www.metagenics.com/products/cata ... sp?pid=171
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Topical magnesium update: 1 to 2 ration with water too concentrated, makes me feel all greasy and slimy, nasty. Weird but true, a salt and water make a greasy feeling liquid. So I called 'em back and got a different story from another person and now it 1 part MgCl2 to 2 1/2 parts H2O. If you try this and it feels too much residue, try 1 to 3.

2-3 tsp spread around on yer bod twice a day...
Brendan
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Brendan »

Dehydration is the real killer. A night on the turps yesterday, went for a surf today. 2 hours into the session I took off on a late righthander. Got up and it hit the calf muscle. All I coud do was bail as I was sliding down the face. Ended up on a 3 foot deep bank and took 3 on the head whilst trying to stretch the leg. I've been normally drinking more water than I use to on GeeTee's advice and taking salt tablets on the advice of a runner friend of mine. Has been working real well. Today I did not drink much water even though I took the tab. Lot's of VBs topped up with lot's of rum and cokes....hmmm.

:?
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
K-man

RC's

Post by K-man »

Brendan;

Yes :!: You mentionig rum-cokes.A staple of this humble surfing-fishing community.Our favorite-The best rum available-A jigger or two in a cup-Fill with hanson's cola,don't know if you have it there.Wedge of quartered lime-squeeqed-dropped in.Small cubed ice[You don't drink this stuff room temp do ya :?: ]A sprig of spearment-grows wild here-crushed dropped in.Refined in a surfie kind of way.Sat in a comfy beach chair for severa hr.sNever had a cramp :!:

cheers :)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Vote Now: K-Man for official KSUSA bartender.
kbing since plywood days
DarcyM

mmmm ... rum and coke

Post by DarcyM »

oh Yeah! K-man can mix me up a rum & coke anytime!

Just so long as I'm not surfing the next morning! Alcohol really sucks all the H20 out of your tissues. A night of drinking means double up the water intake the next day or risk cramp-o-rama. Even if you don't drink to excess, it's a good idea to rehydrate with the good clear stuff (no, not tequila or vodka) before your next session.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
K-man

good health

Post by K-man »

darcy,
Well spoken.I'm not a drinker,just enjoy the odd tasty drink to set the day off.Alittle alcohol is stimulating.All night bouts are left to the young turks-been there,done that.

K
Nov

Post by Nov »

Leaving the flippers at home will sort you out.