kneeboarding with a fused shoulder

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

jdavie
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

kneeboarding with a fused shoulder

Post by jdavie »

after watching my kneeboard my father want to try he hasnt surfed before because he can only use one shoulder and can stand up but he think he might be able to pull himself up on a kneeboard would a handle of somesort make it any easier or does anyone with only one arm them can use ride and have any advice ?
sarj
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by sarj »

early & mid 70's there was a guy that would show up once in a while at riverjetties that had one arm. He had a handle of glassed in marine rope horizontally across the nose of his board and he did just fine. He actually was fun to surf around. We liked him out there and would jam for him to make sure he got his waves. I don't have a spare donor board for the handle thing, but if you find one, you ought to be able to get a glass shop or a guy like balestar to glass it in for you for not too much.

A beach break might be a little tougher for learning unless he's really determined, where a nice easy point would help him on the paddle around the line up. Either that or something like the cliffs.
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

hmm maybe Bud Mcray from Blast is the guy to talk to.

In the seventies when I made my first board on it I put in stainless steel mesh handles that were curved and flexable onthe rails.

I went over the falls one day with one arm trapped in one of the handles and nearly snapped my wrist in half

thankfully the board broke after about six months

good luck, i'm sure your dad will have a stack of fun
red

Post by red »

I have a mate in NZ that moved from surfing to kneeboarding after losing his arm in an accident. Surfed the World's in '06, I think it was, and did darn well. Flippers. No handles.