Good bye crutches!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Joe Taylor
Local (More than 25 post)

Good bye crutches!

Post by Joe Taylor »

As some of you may be aware, my wife Amanda, has been gimping around for quite some time, hence the lack of posting Picts.
In fact, it began in April when Jim Putz, JimBo, and Amanda and I went to Nicaragua. After a great day of surf and shooting, Amanda decided to walk back to Dale's place from Colorados. About 1/4 of the way back to camp, as she was scaling some of the lava flow with her gear on her back, she rolled her ankle really badly. She made it back to camp, with an ankle the size of a grapefruit. With still a couple of days left of the trip, aspirin, ice and Flor de Cana were her best friends. Once home, doctor said it was a second degree sprain, and she should take it easy.
If you know anything about my wife, taking it easy is not part of her vocabulary! She did, for the most part, stay off of it.
In July, we spent 3 weeks in Maui, surfing, paddling, snorkeling, swimming, etc. Needless to say, her ankle got worked again. This time it was Mai Tais to the rescue.
On August 20, the first day of physical therapy for her ankle, she had a terrible fall at work, seriously messing up her right knee. Thankfully, it was the same leg as the ankle injured in April. She's been on crutches since Aug 20, and has been trucking herself occasionally out to the beach to get some shots.
Two days ago, she had surgery where the doctor removed pieces of bone and cartilage that broke loose from the fall and were behind her kneecap and found some tears in her meniscus. She is resting fairly comfortably at home, dealing with the pain, and doing exactly what the doctor is telling her to... Nothing at all. Again, if of know anything about Amanda, this is tough for her. However, she is still working hard in getting the 2013 US Titles organized with the rest of the gang.
I know she will be back out there shooting and posting more Picts soon. She does miss it, and appreciates all the support she has been getting, especially that of Cove crew and Big Tony for all the info on knee injury and healing.
So, keep those thoughts of healing coming her way. She'll be good as new soon and looks forward to seeing you through her lens.
JT
knee_boarder
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by knee_boarder »

Ouch!

And I thought my frozen shoulder was bad! :lol:

Get Well Soon :)
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Just keep waitin' on her hand and foot, Joe. to speed that healing--we've gotta have her fully back for the January contest, and that is your mission!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Scott,
JT has chosen to accept his mission and is doing wonderfully at getting me back on two feet. Don't worry, I'll be good as new for the titles in January, thanks to his waiting on me hand and foot.

In fact, with JT's supreme care, we were able to make it out to dinner with Wanderer and his flight boss Lucas, Byron (bdwqld) and his gal Sarina, and my mom, for a dinner at El Ranchito. It was a great night, but left me completely exhausted.

I want to give a shout out to all those who have called, texted, emailed me with get well wishes. It does mean a lot.

Healing is going slower than I anticipated, but I am doing all the doctor has told me to do... Ice, strengthening exercises, rest, repeat. So, I'll be doing that for at least another week. The photos will just have to wait. I do have some stashed from the recent past that I will post during the week.

Amanda
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

good to hear the surgery went well amanda
let it heal :lol:
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Great news Amanda. You have the right attitude, and dude as well! Today, you are one day closer to where you want to be 8)
Jack Beresford

heal

Post by Jack Beresford »

To the hardest-working-woman (or man) in Kneeboarding...get well soon!
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Thanks, Jack! I need that boost.
With all this down time, it gives me a chance to work on some of the details for the 2013 US Titles. :)

Thanks to all for all the support.

Amanda
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Get well soon Amanda, rest and ice, and never underestimate the medicinal properties of El Ranchito food. ( just send Joe for take-out next time)

Rob
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
MWROBERTSON

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Keep up the healing Amanda. All the best to you!

Note: El Toro Bravo may be the ticket for positive vibes and faster healing. 8)
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

Amanda & Joe are the best even with crutches & a knee wrapped in ice
They took Bqwld his wife sarina myself & a work colleague to a great Mexican at elranchito for a perfect la welcome
Next day a surf with jimputz & Casey then off to breakfast at the legendary sugar shack at Huntington we even watched another Kneelo. Surfing glassy 4 ft south side at the pier
Get well soon Amanda
scott
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Hope your healing time is short for you Amanda..........
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Amanda get well soon. That knee must have been uncomfortable yet you and Joe still made the effort to make both Sarina and I feel extra welcome. That was a great introduction to LA.
Thanks again and get well soon,
Cheers Byron
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
randiego

Post by randiego »

Hey Amanda... there's always the Jazzy Power Chair. I hear those things are groovy for getting around the beach areas. :lol: :lol:

http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/index.asp

PS - You guys went on a surf trip to Nica without a bottle of Vicodin? :?: :?:
Never leave home without it!
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

That's pretty funny! Maybe you can get off road tires for it too! :)

Just had follow up with my doctor. Starting physical therapy tomorrow, and don't have to go back to the doctor for 6 weeks!
I'll be in great shape for running around at the contest!

Gotta thank JT for sitting on me and taking such good care of me!

Can't take Vicodin... Allergic to it and codeine.
Got me some Percocet now though. :wink: