Anybody swinging kettle bells for a workout routine??

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

slucepan
Local (More than 25 post)

Anybody swinging kettle bells for a workout routine??

Post by slucepan »

Do you want a good training work out but don't have much time to spend in a gym???
I have started out swinging kettle bells as a new exercise routine. I borrowed my brothers kettle bell program and bought my first kettle bell to work out with. The things that attracted me to this workout over the p90x's and other intense workout programs is
1. I need only the minimum of equipment to work out at home IE a kettle bell and ma by a pair of sweat wrist bands
2. a half hours workout will hit most of the major muscle groups.
3. it is easier on the back and joints.
I am 50 years old and have been a telecom contractor for much of my adult life and like a lot of contractors by carrying un balanced loads standing on latter's and stretching in un natural positions I have put a lot of ware on the old chassis.
The exercise claims to give as much cardio as cross country skiing up hill builds strength in major and connector muscles through out the body.

Here is a couple of on line videos I found. the first is Michael Skogs xplaining his workout program and the other is a surfing kettle bell routine with an exercise ball. All I can say about the workout ball routine is you better have some good core strength before attempting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LOb9XAt9LE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUzYmOnhFiQ

I do believe this will help me take a pounding in the surf better and up my wave count in a session.
I am interested to see other surfers take on this work out?[/url]
Keep the stoke and may all of the waves in your life line up like corduroy.
Surfboard a collection of agreeable trade off's moving in one direction.
mmanners

Be careful

Post by mmanners »

Several years ago, my son-in-law a PE teacher got me into them. I overstretched my lats and was out of the water for a couple of weeks. I decided that it was not the work out for me.

Be careful and enjoy the swing,
M2
slucepan

Post by slucepan »

Thank you for the tip I will be watchful for that as I am doing the exercises.
Keep the stoke and may all of the waves in your life line up like corduroy.
Surfboard a collection of agreeable trade off's moving in one direction.
Bob
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bob »

Great kettlebell website:

dragondoor.com

I use them on days I don't surf. Long bike ride followed by 10 minutes of kettle bells. Great stuff!!!

Make sure you squat into downswing so you do not hurt your back.
Other than that have at it...
WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by WillP »

I use them to strengthen my blocks and punches in my martial arts training. Great strength training, but easy to hurt yourself if used improperly.
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

I use them in a modified Crossfit workout. Some of my fellow lifeguards are hardcore Crossfit guys and we have them at work. If you don't have a variety of kettles, you can use dumbbells-see pic in miscellanious gallery. Her name is Gia and yes she models :D
KenM

Post by KenM »

Bob wrote:Great kettlebell website:

dragondoor.c
Get their book "Enter The Kettlebell" by Pavel for proper technique. They have a saying: "If you hurt your back, it's your fault." :lol: www.dragondoor.com
Captain Kneemo fan club