arghh! Ribs !!!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

SecoG
Local (More than 25 post)

arghh! Ribs !!!

Post by SecoG »

Last month, on a screaming left on a boogie board, I got a huge bounce & landed hard, bruised(?) ribs in a couple places.

at 58, this body sure is taking longer to mend than it did when I was cracking ribs in my early 40's falling off my mountainbike.

after a 5 week break, went out Monday on my Blast in 2-3', and OW! paddling still hurts a bunch! (cut the session short). Caught a few nice ones at the S.Mission jetty, so it was worth it.

Any suggestions? (2-3 tylenols help a bit)
Mark Ramirez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I cracked my ribs in my late 40's kneeriding the 'shoe. I wiped out on a really hollow left. My body got directly over my board and the board submerged into the water and came back up hitting me right on my side! :cry: Take 2-3 advil or 2 Aleve, and try not to laugh at any good jokes!
K-man

Post by K-man »

Pain hurts!.... :( Did that back late 60's...3 months for me.No sneezing either!I took extra aspirin.Time was the issue.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Try taping it with kinesiology tape. Worked great for me when I had some tendinitis issues a while back. One brand is KTtape, get the kt2, it's waterproof and stays on about a week. There are lots of videos on YouTube on how to put it on. www.kttape.com available at Sports Authority, CVS, etc.
Captain Kneemo fan club

rib "cushion"

Post by day »

Sorry to hear about your rib pain. There is a product called a Paddle Air Ergo that i use to pad my rib and to lift my chest for easier paddling. Check out their website. (They having a summer sale now too.)The product consist of an air bladder under your chest that pads the ribs from hard contact with the board. It would NOT fix your bruised ribs but it can keep the tender ribs off the hard deck of the board.
I usually deflate the bladder once out in the line up or if I spin to pick up a wave. This allows me to get chin and chest to board to push into the wave before pop up.
Good luck and speedy healing!
Hoppo

Post by Hoppo »

Mainland Mexico 2007, got launched on a "not so" big left, felt some impact on my left side. Came up got on my board and OUCH ! Every stroke. 800 ml. ibuprofen helped. Surfed 6 more days but one arm paddling and a lot of fin work. Got home and went to my Doc, as the pain was still there. X-ray and it's broken. NO TAPING ribs. Doc said they don't do that because it causes lung problems. Go get an x-ray to be sure of extent of injury. And get some grunt candy ... (800 ml. ibuprofen) ie. Motrin. Good luck.
SecoG

Re: rib "cushion"

Post by SecoG »

day wrote: Paddle Air Ergo that i use to pad my rib and to lift my chest for easier paddling.
Thanks for the suggestion (&'sale info') - and also for the condolences!

The pain is more to the side, so deck pressure isn't the main problem. The Cove Pad may help, too.

It's the arm motion, especially when really scratching to get onto the wave. I paddled back out with fins & right arm - that wasn't too bad. I'll take some Ibuprofen b4 the next session.

I didn't get an xray, at Kaiser, that would have cost at least $60, and I guess I prefer thinking it was a bruise, not a break.
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

I did mine last year so I feel for you! I don't think anything really helps much though the ibuprofen probably worked the best.
Good news was that when they mend it happens really suddenly. I remembered one day I couldn't lie on my board, the next I was back to four hour sessions.

I asked the doc about strapping it, and he said they don't advise that anymore as it can cause lung infection problems. Not sure though, it was a local doctor...