First day back after Knee Surgery

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

First day back after Knee Surgery

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Today was my first real day back in the water on the kneeboard. I had surgery about eight weeks ago for a meniscus tear. I have been reluctant to push it at this point as the knee still feels real tight and painful if I put too much pressure on it in the kneeling position.

The waves look real fun and it was a bright, beautiful morning.

I took out a 6'2" and had it in my mind just to cruise around a bit. My first wave was a left and the knee felt ok so I keep going for a few more. Pretty much just went straight off, no turns. I was sooo stoked to be in the water again. I was going crazy standing on the beach watching everyone get great waves.

It was even more encouraging to hear my bro's shouting MR ! MR! and welcoming me back to the line-up.

The acid test will be to see how it feels in a few hours from now and If I can ramp up more in future sessions.

Stoked to be back................well sort of. It's a start. 8)

MR-
Paul
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Paul »

Congrats, Mark! Glad you're back on it. Don't forget the Aleve and an ice pack! Actually, couldn't you just wear a short johnny and be icing the knee at the same time as you're surfing? :lol:
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Mark,

The ocean will be waiting. Take as much time as you Kneed :-)

Glad your back. Take it slow.

Cheers,

Don
Don Harris
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Mark
keep on doin what your doin
you looked like you were surfing well the other day
I watched you set up and negotiate a nice barrel the other morning!
tom
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

I surfed with MR yesterday evening....He's Back :!:
Peter Ware

Post by Peter Ware »

meniscus tear should be fine after 8 weeks. Slowly slowly and ice after use. It does take time and you will know yourself if you push it to far. Kneeboarding puts a lot of stress on your knees and it is the turning that will hurt (sideways pressure) Enjoy and welcome back. In the old days they just ripped the meniscus out :oops: