Billy Lerner

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

matttherat
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Billy Lerner

Post by matttherat »

I paddled out late yesterday afternoon on a beautiful evening and word in the water was Billy broke some ribs in the morning in a long big deep barrel.

Hope you are okay brother, you have healed so many other people, we will send you quick healing kokua.

Get well
“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of.....
mutiny
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by mutiny »

I hope your doing well there bill.
thinking of you
tom
Scott

Post by Scott »

Any updates? Did this indeed happen?
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Joel5150Photo
Local (More than 25 post)

ribs and stuff...billy learner

Post by Joel5150Photo »

javascript:emoticon(':(')yooooo! B.L....joel5150 here,are you ok???????where were ya??? was it a pier,your kneeboard, the bottom?????? hope you feel mo' better soon, if you need anything im a phone call away..(858)775-5511 joel5150photo.merry x-mass to you and your family..javascript:emoticon(':P')
SamC

Post by SamC »

I saw Bill as he was coming out of the water and seemed to be in quite a bit of pain and was pretty sure he fractured some ribs from his board hitting him in the back. Luckily some of the local crew was able to help drive him up the cliff.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

That sucks, hope you feel better Bill.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by BillL »

Hi Guys , here's the story as best as can recall. I dropped in late in the tube on a really nice wave and the wave must have clamshelled, throwing me toward the beach with the board on the wrong side. Anyway it felt like the board pile drove me in the back, knocking my breath out. I made it to the beach, couldn't get up and couldn't talk, how do those football players do it??
Thanks to Sam Coyne for helping me down the beach and carrying my board. My friends Sheldon, Chris , Big Mike and CK really helped me out, transporting me up the hill and getting off my wetsuit.I was literally stuck and those guys were like the cavalry, I'm blessed to surf with such a good crew, everybody really looks after one another. Turns out I fractured my 11th rib, non displaced, no pneumothorax, it could have been a lot,lot worse. There has been some discussion in the past about how you end a tube ride if you don't make it out. I always try to land on the base of the face of the wave trying to come out the back, it usually works pretty good. Unfortunately, I didn't foresee this scenario coming and paid for it. Thanks to all you guys for the well wishes and concern. Compared to some of the other injuries that have plagued our tribe this is a walk in the park! So Brad, can I borrow your camera??
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Arrrgh, that injury really hurts,and unfortunately , for quite a while.

I'm glad you're OK and wish you a speedy recovery.

Time behind the lens is good for your recovery and all your friends. it's almost as good as surfing: at least you're still involved :wink:
joe

Post by joe »

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Get well soon.
walt davidson

Post by walt davidson »

Hey Bill,

Glad you're OK - like you say, it could have been much worse. I can't remember ever seeing you have a bad wipeout - normally you're just getting one wave after another! Must have been scary when you finally made it to the beach and couldn't move!
Heal up and we'll see you out there in a couple of months.

All the best, Walt
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

What a Blessing to have a close cadre of surf buddies that came to your aid. The hike back up the cliff or even the road would be a bear if your'e hurt, glad you had help. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
frog

Post by frog »

Bill glad to your ok..take care
Scott

Post by Scott »

Sorry to hear this, Bill--just shows there is always some uncertainty in surfing. Let your SF brother-in-law know he should come down to Blacks right away so he can surf it all he wants without the worry of you snaking all the set waves!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
maxb

Post by maxb »

Bill, I always thought you were invincible, no? Glad you are ok,the ribs are a painful bunch,but as healthy as you are, you will be back out there in no time.
I cracked 3 by a board to the back at wedge some years ago, so I feel your pain.
On a lighter note, does this mean I can fill in for you in the line up at Blacks? I promise I will make you proud :D
Get back out there soon.
Max
kbing newport
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Bill, that's a big Yes! Get healed up quickly my friend. Stoked, and not surprised, that so many were more than willing to help you out 8)