50+

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

norm
Local (More than 25 post)

50+

Post by norm »

I see the videos and pics.... guys 50+ years old just ripping overhead waves and being as stoked as a teenager. 2...3... maybe 4 hours out in the water for a session and doing it regularly. I'm one of those 50+ years old guys and I love to surf, but I want to know what other kneelos do to keep fit so when the surf is up, they just rip it up. There's some youngsters... 30-40 year old guys, what do you do to duck dive 10 waves, take a couple on the head, spin around and free fall on a double overhead wave, bottom turn and crack a carve in the pocket? Exercise? Cross-Train? Diet? Any of your thoughts on how to keep the knees fresh until I reach 75 years old is appreciated.
norm
Josh Peters

Re: 50+

Post by Josh Peters »

Ride bicycles.
Josh Peters
norm

Post by norm »

so far, this is what works for me. hydrate before session.. even the night before. Paddle on total gym with the arms pulling to the center of the machine whenever I can... have great boards...drink beer...take your time paddling into the line up but stroke it when I'm paddling for a wave...I'll consider riding a bike...just got to worry about whackos on the road.
norm
hankj

Post by hankj »

I'm 48 but not a natural athlete and my 6'3" frame is beat up like frat house lawn furniture from 40 years of thinking I should chuck it around in on the snow, on the concrete, in the sea, in the forest on a bike, etc. So in my mind I'm at least 57.

I work out like fiend to be able to surf and snowboard - if I don't I can't, it's that simple.

My current guidelines that are working for me right now:

1) working out needs to be done at "the speed of physical therapy." Anything that greatly breaks down my body is not okay.

2) this is the priority: core, heart/lungs. legs, upper body. If anything slides it starts from the bottom of that list.

3) exercises that engage many smaller muscles are far superior to fewer muscles. Plank holding dumbells alternating a push up with a row on each arm is far better than bench pressing for instance.

4) use weights as little as possible, as light as possible. Nowadays heavy weights always cause problems for me.

5) I don't like working out, so don't have a list of exercises to get through on my own schedule (or I'll procrastinate, and then will think my workout takes 2 hours,, then next time "won't have time." Instead I have a set of exercises that are timed. You push the start button on your phone's "tabata" timer and at that point mentally you're already finished - the next 24 minutes are nothing but a series of core exercises, you won't quit so it's basically already over.

6) Build in exercise. Much busier than when younger so my commute is always by bike now.

This is all because of my age and disaster of a body - when I was younger did it differently. I've got many work outs designed to tune me up enough to surf - happy to share them, just lmk if you're interested.
norm

Post by norm »

hankj
thanks for the guidelines. Very good insight from a fellow kneelo. I have also scaled back from using weights over 10 years ago and and I am doing a modified bit of interval training, although I don't time them. I share some of the same paths as you.... not lifting cause of (elbow, shoulder) injuries ... but the goal is to keep surf fit. very cool...thanks.
norm
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Norm,

Good topic! I can answer since I'm over 50...not sure about all of that radical surf stuff you mentioned however.

I think the main thing is to just keep paddling out! Even on small days paddling can keep me ready for when it's bigger. Paddle the long way out if possible. I like to mix sprints with relaxed paddling and sometimes count my strokes to make sure I increase the number of strokes on the sprints. When first hitting the water I take a minimum of 100 strokes before kicking.

Running/biking to get the HR up for 20 minutes is good for general cardio.

I do minimal weights but like to work on core strength and overall flexibility most of all. I find having a strong core, and being in shape, increases confidence as well as my fun factor in bigger surf. Keep an eye on the forecasts so if you are slacking off you can ramp up in the 7-10 days before the swell hits, but that's easier here in CA than in the Islands :wink:

~Bradford
norm

Post by norm »

Brad,

I just had a chance to check our Kneeboarding site... work, cleaning up the yard, other domestic duties got in the way. Good idea on paddling cause without strong paddling, it's tough to keep an edge n the water. Guys like Scott have an outboard motor strapped on some how, so that really is an asset when maneuvering in the lineup or catching a wave. When it's too big to surf my favorite breaks, there are a few spots that get some reforms but the bonus is getting some paddle time in. I'll keep that in mind when it's blown out and ugly.... just go out to get some exercise and I might get lucky with a wave or two. The waves on the North Shore were really good this past Tuesday. I had a good session off Sunset Point, and I thought about going out for another surf but I was too pooped to go out again. Paddle fit.... thanks for the reminder on what's basic and so important to having a good session. Core and cardio are some common themes so I'll be more conscious of those too. See you again sometime.

PS the radical stuff is only when I mind surf
norm
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

:lol: 8)
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

What hankj said...
Train like a maniac. For those like me over 60 and stuck inland, swim 1 mi 3x/week, bike 3X 15 mi/week (or 30-45" @ 250W indoors), and do core workouts to keep the back and abs strong. Like Jimmy V said, never, never, never give up..........
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
norm

Post by norm »

Now I know I am really at the elementary school level for fitness..... I'm glad I got some responses cause now I realize there's way more to stay fit than a few days of simulated paddling and mind surfing. Great responses, THANKS.
norm
crox

Post by crox »

I'm just in the 60+ club [how did that happen!]. The best single thing for me is to surf a longboard when it's small. Just really enjoy the glide & super long rides on 2 foot days but also keeps you very paddle fit. Having to rely on arms only is good thing & if you are jumping to your feet it makes getting to your knees a lot snappier. I double my surfing days with a longboard.

Other than that, just keep moving. Standing & sitting are the worst for me. Walking/stretching/squats/press ups/stretching/cycling/burpees/stretching/bit of running but my work is physical too, so I try to be moderate :D & then I stretch.

Four months ago I pinched a nerve in my back from lifting a wood burning stove, I lost about 3/4 of the power in my right leg & was having difficulty walking & thought I might have had my last surf. Thankfully I'm just about back to normal but I'm still doing the back exercises I did during my recovery & these really help with flexibility & without flex you are not going to perform. :wink:
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
norm

Post by norm »

Crox,

About mid June to mid August, there's maybe two or three tiny bumps on the North Shore, but the rest of the time it is flat. I got a paddleboard just to keep my shoulders sort of in shape but I always take a few weeks just to get comfortable in small surf when I can go kneeboarding. Keep paddle fit, cross train but let your body recover, stretch. My inspiration is Clyde Aikau, 66 years old going out in Eddie size waves at Waimea. If I surf overhead waves at 66, I'll be totally stoked.
norm
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ride a bike or walk for an hour any day you do not surf.
Am 57 and have started some yoga exercises for flexibility.
Kettlebells are really good for hamstring flexibility and arm strength; sometimes, as little as 10 swings per day per arm will do the trick.
80/20 Training (80% low intensity and 20% high intensity) per week, unless surf goes daily for over a week. The 20% is mostly surf time.

Just keep moving...
norm

Post by norm »

Seems like anyone 50+ that is surfing has some sort of exercise/fitness regiment I haven't got a response to just surf while you can and that's enough to maintain a good surf session. I guess it is not a coincidence that if you still surf, most are physically active in some other area.... core, cardio, stretching. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how to keep surfing. Good stuff.
norm
joe

Post by joe »

After a few minor injuries after turning 50, my doctor said "At your age you can't stay in shape by surfing, you need to stay in shape to keep surfing." PT shoulder exercises are part of my morning routine and keep my shoulders pain free when surfing. Working rotator cuff and opposing muscle groups. Core strength/stability and flexibility are important.