New Fins=Bad Blisters.

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

I have a nice collection of Duck Feet including really old UDTs and a fin from the Spearfisherman of Huntington Beach, the pre-Duck Foot. Many moons ago I started researching for a story on Duck Feet. Spoke with Voit before they sold the molds/rebought the molds.

I'll try and dig out the file....if the rats haven't got to it.
kbing since plywood days
Polite Psycho
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Polite Psycho »

Blisters could degenerate into cellulitis or something even worst which could place you out of commission for a period of time of longer than a week. How about a larger size or a different brand of fins? In the mean time, keep the affected area dry and clean. Triple antibiotics sold over the counter could speed up the healing process.
DarcyM

new Ducks

Post by DarcyM »

I got the new Duck Feet from the ad Beeline posted here (thanks Bee!) by emailing Greg and ordering a pair from the warehouse. It took about 3 days for them to arrive via UPS. Total cost was $30.76.

They are softer and flexier than the Ducks that I bought at Sport Chalet in April, but they look nearly identical. They're definitely softer in the foot pocket, and much more flex in the blade. The only other difference is that these new ones have "custom model" imprinted on the top. I tried them out for the first time today. I didn't use fins socks, and I have a couple of red spots on my toes (same place as before) but so far no real damage. They had good thrust, and were stiff enough to make my feet feel like they were cramping "just a wee bit" about halfway thru a 2.5 hour session. Adjusting my foot and kick took care of that and I kept surfing.

They were more comfortable than the other pair by far. I wish they made the UDT's small enough to fit my feet, but I'm still happy with the ducks.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Beeline2.0

Re: new Ducks

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Hot Buttered Octoblades. No blisters out of the box, enough push slim profile no need to wear sox and iv'e never used keepers or lost one. I should'nt have said that.

AB.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
skansand

udt

Post by skansand »

is that the friend who only rides spoons Beeline? .. i only wore my duckfeet 2 times(i wear a 14 size shoe) before i retired them to the finbox i keep in my room for abandoned fins i find on the beach.(someone always has a friend who wants to paddle out but has no fins..i just tell em to come over and pick whatever fins they want out of the box) im checking out the fins Mark cunningham uses in A Broke Down Melodie.. They're called Da Fins and go up to a size 15-16(which im getting and coupling with my xcel booties...if theyre too big still ill add the neoprene/epoxy for comfort when im in mexico and not wearing booties.

could i cut the end of the footpockets of the udts and extend them to fit my feet with carbon fibre or maybe even fiberglass if the interior was made up of neoprene to avoid the itchiness???
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
KenM

Post by KenM »

Size 14!? It's a wonder you need fins at all. :twisted:
Beeline2.0

Re: udt

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TC
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by TC »

Big Smokey, If you are not wearing booties/fin socks in the Pacific North West you are a better man than. I wear Churchill Slashers and picked up some Henderson Microprene, ultra thin ½ mm neoprene socks. They are so thin that I can use them under my summer fins with no blisters and no foot cramping. I picked them up at: http://www.diversdiscount.com Hope this info helps Cheers TC
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Good tip, TC. My L Slashers are nice barefoot but one is a bit tight with fin sox. When using Duck Feet, I need L barefoot and XL with sox.
kbing since plywood days
TC

Post by TC »

Surfhorn I had the same problem till I tried the ½ mm socks. I live south of you in Moro Bay area and use these sox all winter. After a couple hours in the water my feet do get a little cold but it is nothing compared to foot cramps from tight fins. On another note I would love to see your story on Duck Feet. If you find it post it, minus the mouse droppings… Cheers TC. _
gumby

Post by gumby »

Quack Quack Duck foot bird brain barrel rider. :twisted:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig