Any Antidotes to Leg Cramps?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Any Antidotes to Leg Cramps?

Post by Scott »

I've suffered from calf cramps of varying severity for over 20 years. Sometimes they'd appear within the 90 minutes or so in a session, and once they start to hit, each successive wave gets more excruciating the moment I'd pop up to my knees. Finally, I'd have to call it a day, often long before I really wanted to go in. Stretching beforehand didn't seem to help much.

The greatest strides that I've made in diminishing this is taking Potassium Glutanate in capsule form for four days or so previous to surfing (there's a lot more potassium in capsules than in eating bananas). In addition, I take quinine sulfate tablets just before entering the water. Quinine has been taken off the market as an over-the-counter medication for a number of years now because of complaints about side effects (drowziness, headaches, etc.). However, I get a prescription through my doctor (lots of older people do, too, who have problems with leg cramps trying to sleep at night--they swear by quinine!). And I've never gotten malaria, to boot! I still stretch out, but it's these two boosters pills that have at least doubled the amount of time I can spend in the water. And I've gotten use to the third testicle produced by the quinine*

But I'm always open for other alternatives. Does this problem affect anyone else? What do you do about it?

*(no, I'm just kiddin' about that--no side effects).
Attachments
Calf Cramps.JPG
This is sorta what my calves look like after a bad session! My forearms always look like this, so don't mess with me!
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Last edited by Scott on Sun May 04, 2003 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryan
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

split fins

Post by ryan »

Hey Scott, I'm very new to kneeling but I have heard that split fins can reduce or eliminate cramping. Force fins are a good example, perhaps a couple of the guys familiar with split fins here can weigh in.

Certainly, comprehensive stretching daily and before and after surfing helps. Hope you find what your looking for!
Jeff
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jeff »

I found out if you drink more water that might help in reducing your cramps. Since I started drinking more water the cramps seemed to go away,and always stretch before a surf
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

It seems that I am not the only one with the problem with the calf cramps. I seem to experience it more when the water is in the colder temp.'s I thought it was a problem only I was having along with being a bit on the old side. I'll try some of the posted solutions. Great site for kneelos to share info.
fooj

Gatorade works for me.

Post by fooj »

The cramps i get are nothing to how yours sound, but i've found that gatorade works for me.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I have had very similiar calf problems. I have noticed that the more I surf the less problem it becomes. I usually get the cramps more severely if I have been surfing sporadically. For me it seems the cramps have more to do with the range of motion and stress on the muscles of the foot. I have tried switching fins with some success. I stretch alot and paddle more. Good Luck
Scott

Some Good Things To Try

Post by Scott »

Thanks to all of you weighing so quickly on my question! I'll try the "liquid diet" and the increased Achilles Tendon stretches. It's just hard stretching long and carefully while the sets fire a few hundred yards away...

Yes, Derek, I get the cramps much worse in cold water--trips to Hawaii have far fewer cramps, but then I take both my pills there, too. No doubt surfing a lot more helps keep the calf muscles strong, but I usually don't get out more than once every week or two. I'll tell my wife I'm going to triple my water time for health reasons--it's such an obvious solution!

I've never tried different fins. I've always been attached to my big 'ol Duck Feet all these years. They're definitely one of the most powerful fins available.

Beeline, I think you need to raise the level of mag from which you get your medical advice! If someone's gettin' calf cramps from sex, he's workin' the wrong part of his anatomy!

God's peace.

Scott
jonny
Local (More than 25 post)

immediate antidote

Post by jonny »

Something to try in the waves next time you get hit by a cramp is to:

hold your nose and blow hard. Your cramp may not disappear but the idea is to get your attention away from it so your calf relaxes a little, easing the pain....

old Ozi remedy.... :wink:
Techno

Post by Techno »

I've been a Kneelo for 20 years and have always had problems with calf cramps - usually after about an hour in the water - doesn't mater what the temp' is I still get cramps ???
Found the solution a few years ago - Calcium & Magnesium tablets !!!
2 x Day and 2 X Night - try taking them before you go for a surf also - works wonders - haven't had calf cramp problems since I started taking them.

Best of luck - give it a try !!!

See ya'
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
floete

Post by floete »

hey, techno: what dosage are you taking of those pills? thanks! e
Techno

Post by Techno »

I buy my Vitamin's online at Golden Glow and the Calcium & Magneisum tablets I take are:

Calcium & Magneisum Chelate

(Calcium Amino Chelate 500mg)
(MagneisiumAmino Chelate 250mg)

I take these - 2 X Morning and 2 X Night.

Take an extra 2 before going for a surf - they won't hurt in these small dose's !!!

Recommended dosage is 1-2 tablets 3 X times a day.

Hope this is of help ???

"TECHNO"
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
floete

Post by floete »

thanks for the info!
kneeman

cramps

Post by kneeman »

I have done this and it seems to work for me pinch the inside of your nose togeather with your thumb and for finger. Hold till cramp subsides this only takes a few seconds for it to go away
DarcyM

leg cramps

Post by DarcyM »

I've gotten leg cramps periodically for years. It doesn't seem to matter what the water temp is or whether or not I stretch. From what I understand, it's a build-up of lactic acid that causes the gastrocnemius (largest muscle in the calf) to seize up. I don't know if it's because we're kicking with fins (I too prefer the stiffness of Duck Feet), or if it's because we're kneeling. I do know that once I feel a cramp coming on, it's end of the session. I can usually feel it before an actual cramp occurs. If I keep trying to go, it'll just get worse. And if one leg goes, expect the other to go soon after. Both at one time is a scary situation out in the water. One time it was so bad that it was three or four days before I could go out again. The pain really sucks, too.

Supposedly by increasing the amount of potassium available to the muscle can prevent the cramping. Also making sure you're well hydrated -- drink plenty of water. I don't think we store these minerals very efficiently, so the body is taking what it needs from the daily diet. Bob W. of San Diego turned me on to a Potassium-Calcium-Magnesium liquid supplement that can help make these minerals readily available. A banana is a good source, but avocados are a better source of potassium and less sugar. Remember foods have to be digested before the nutrients become available. Last summer I started to make sure to have a gatorade before surf, and to take plenty of water to the beach as well, and I didn't have too any serious cramp issues. However gatorade has a lot of sugar (as do bananas) so I'm going to go with the liquid supplement instead.

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"