Does anyone wear a hat in the surf to gaurd from the sun?

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

geetee
Local (More than 25 post)

Does anyone wear a hat in the surf to gaurd from the sun?

Post by geetee »

anyone out there in kneelo land wear one of those peaked caps to keep the sun off? If so is there a preferred brand/type?
Just surf
Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jon Manss »

Try this one for laughs. Tie a baseball cap to the end of your strap that pulls up the zipper of your wetsuit. You never lose the hat and sometimes get a rush of cold water after drag from the hat unzips the suit, lots of fun. :shock:
scoop

Post by scoop »

I have one but rarely use it
I take it too the tropics as everything you can get to help you is good
I have realised though that the bigger the peak the easier it comes off whilst duck-diving
hope it is of help

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Steve Neal

Post by Steve Neal »

I have a cap my parents just gave me thats 100% nylon baseball cap style made by Nautica. It actually has a pocket with a zipper that has a leash in it. Have'nt wore it in the water yet.
Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

Patagonia makes a good surfing hat. I prefer lots of sunscreen with a coating of zink oxide on top. I've never burned my noggin with that combo... and I'm hair folicle challenged !
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barry

water hats

Post by barry »

I have been wearing hats in the water lately.(not all the time) there is a brand called headhunter (sunblock) they make a ballcap type hat that covers your ears and has an under the chin strap to prevent loss. it keeps the sun off the top of my head and ears. I also flip the bill up before catching waves for better visibility. Also billabong and quiksilver make the surfari type hats (circular bill all the way around) of this kind I prefer the one that has the snap to hold the bill up in front for riding waves then you can let er down while waiting for the next set. Hope this helps, Peace
Barry
willli

Post by willli »

http://www.surfshade.com/order.html

I have found this product to be excellent. They are lightweight, cover your ears (helps keep out sand etc. and cuts down on flushing) and the bill can be flipped up to increase vision when paddling in.
nwdude

hats

Post by nwdude »

i've got a hat that's lasted 20yrs - bill, velco chin straps - does not come off
they're made by a guy who calls his brand " Made in the Shade " - was selling them thru surf shops in north co of san diego ( encinitas, etc ) - they are perfect - anyone know if still being made ?