Prescription glasses for surfing

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Prescription glasses for surfing

Post by splashy »

Hi All

For all you guys and gals out there who need prescription glasses - I've just got a couple of sets of prescription surfing glasses.

They're from Sundog, and are very similar to the Oakly ones but at a fraction of the price.

I got a pair last year because I have a trigium (spelling?) in my right eye which would go crazy itchy after 'bout half an hour in the water. If I had a big day in the surf it would be a sleepless night because my eye would be red raw burning with irritation.

Anyway, they worked really well at protecting my eye, and they have just started offering the glasses with prescription lenses, so I got me a tinted pair and a clear pair.

Can't wait to get them in the water!!!! Oh to be able to see the waves coming!!! And to be able to look down the line and surf down the line. Yeeeeehaaaa!!! Bring it on!

I'll post pics of the frames and update how they work later.

:D
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Splashy,
That's pterygium (te-rij e-um) 1. Web eye; a triangular patch of hypertrophied bulbar subconjunctival tissue, extending from the medial canthus to the border of the corena or beyond, with apex pointing toward the pupil.
..I've got em too. In high school (mid 70s) I was a Recreational Aid for the local Parks and Recreation Dept and all of the little kids thought I was loaded b/c of the red eyes I brought to work. No drugs, just too much surf and sun before work!
Nov

Post by Nov »

I have to wear contact lenses (I'm short sighted).
SCGARY
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by SCGARY »

You guys should look into CRT therapy. It's special contact lenses you wear while you sleep and take out in the morning when you wake up. The lenses correct your vision temporarily so you see fine all day without lenses/glass. You have to wear them every night but this also allows you to get up in the middle of the night and see fine.
I've been using them for over a year now and it works great.

PS- I'm still paranoid about getting laser eye surgery
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

I recently read about a new method of correcting far-sightedness due to aging that's minimally invasive and involves no surgery. They insert a pair of very fine wires (like a hair in diameter) into your eye, then excite it with a specific radio frequency for a short period of time. Over the following 12-24 hours, the eye responds by changing to a new (apparently virtually permanent) curvature. As I recall, it's just completing trials (very successfully) and becoming a new treatment option. Cost is estimated to be about the same as Lasik(sp?).

I'd like to get more info on this method--but I can't find the original reference, nor do I remember the name of the method. Anybody else heard about this?

MT
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

new method of correcting far-sightedness due to aging
Call me skeptical. Same for Lasik. Problem with older eyes (like mine) is that they loose flexability. There are little tiny muscles that make your eyeball longer and shorter for different distances. As you get older, collegen gets stiffer etc and you loose some of the ability to change shape. Anyone notice that in the rest of your body? Staring at computers is especially bad as you don't change focal distance for long periods of time. The best answer for the comitted (not me too lazy) is "exercises" like the Bates method and spin offs. There are folks teaching expensive knock offs but all you need you can get from a cheap book. Basically involves working your eyes everyday through range of motion in focusing and also lots of relaxing your eyes and NOT staring.

Me, I just wear glasses and squint. :wink: (that was a 1/2 squint there)
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

DrStrange wrote:
...<snipped>... Problem with older eyes (like mine) is that they loose flexability...<snipped>...
According to an old article in Scientific American, there's more to it than just lost muscle strength. For example, the index of refraction of the fluid apparently also changes as one gets older. Hence the refractive power (for a given curvature) becomes reduced as well and exacerbates the poblem of reduced muscle strength.

I've recently started making "over the bottom" speed measurements (using a waterproofed GPS) and unfortunately the display on the GPS is so small that I need to carry a monocular (magnifying) lens out with me so I can read the max speed (captured during and displayed after a ride). Sure would be a lot more convenient if that weren't necessary.

MT
splashy

Post by splashy »

Tested the new prescription surfing glasses on the weekend.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Very very lovely. So nice to be able to see the waves coming, and to also be able to see down the line.

They don't fog, run clear and super comfy. LOVE "EM!!!

Only problem is that previously it has changed my whole sight window.

For example, previously every wave I saw that was in focus and looked good was within 20m, and I knew I could catch it. Now I'm seeing good waves all up and down and felt like a rat on speed chasing these things all over the place. Made me laugh.

Secondly, I can now see all the dark shadows that creep along the bottom and come past and have a look at you.... hmmmm ...... got me a little edgey since I was surfing on my own.... :shock:

Top notch gear though - I recommend them to anyone who needs prescription surfing sunnies, or surfing sunnies in general.

They're also gonna get used when I pull out the kayak on flat days 8)

...hmmm, I think I mentioned earlier about getting a pic of them up... see what I can do....
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
splashy

Post by splashy »

ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splashy

Post by splashy »

I gave 'em my prescription and a couple of weeks later the glasses turned up.

I'm pretty sure they are going to start offering them with lenses in gradiants of .25 + and -

But at the mo there is a couple of weeks waiting period (they come from canada to Australia - but it might be quicker in other parts of the world).

:D
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

How do you keep those puppies on when you wipe out? I've tried all kinds of glasses/goggles/racing goggles, etc. and they always either come off, or shift around (so that the frame may be on your eyeball) in some wipe-outs.

BTW, the newly approved procedure I couldn't remember the name above in my earlier post (above) is called "conductive keratoplasty" which, as described in a Newsweek story "uses radio waves to reshape the cornea, for presbyopia or vision problems that develop with age" and is minimally invasive (two very fine wires--finer than a hair--temporarily inserted to the eye during the treatment. I personally like the idea of no cutting). Another newly approved procedure, especially for eyes with complex problems, is the implantation of a tiny pastic corrective lens behind the cornea (brand name: Verisyse -- see: amo-inc.com for more info).

MT