Brain Tumor Update !!!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Techno
Local (More than 25 post)

Brain Tumor Update !!!

Post by Techno »

Relle and I went to the Princess Alexandra Hospital this morning, for an appointment with the Oncology people about her treatment.

We knew this time would arrive – but we weren’t ready for it just yet !!!

They have told us that there is nothing else they can do for her.

Not “Go home and die” but not far off it either !!!

She is now 100% blind in her right eye and about 30% blind in her left.

This has happened in about 2 weeks. So I feel she may be totally blind by the end of September ???

Yes – the tumor is to blame – not just failing eyesight.

The tumor has grown across the area where the two optic nerves join her brain near the central cord.

It is attacking her left optic nerve as well – there is no doubt about it – they have shown us the MRI and CT pictures.
The Chemo has stopped working – it has run its course – and failed.

For a while it gave the tumor a flogging – but as time has shown, the tumor has become resilient to the drug.

We are gutted – is not even close to how we feel.
But we are not going to give up – never !!!

Relle says this is just another glitch to slow us up. She is still a strong, determined girl !!!

We are in the process of contacting Dr John Holt in Perth - He is our last hope !!!

The kids have been told everything and are taking it as well as can be expected – but they are going to need a lot of love and TLC over the coming weeks & months.

We are taking the kids up the coast to Coolum in two weeks for a holiday (for 2 weeks), so I’m hoping that her eyesight can last that long – for the children’s sake ???

We are being contacted by the Blind Society in the next day or two about what assistance they can be to Relle with products or services to make what time she has easier to cope with being blind.

Mt Olivet Hospital is also organizing Palliative Care for Relle when I’m at work.
This will also be where she will go if and when the tumor takes over.

There isn’t too much else to say – Relle is doing OK and isn’t in any pain.
She is still very positive about her life and where it is going – no matter what twists & turns it throws up at us ???

Please keep Relle in your prayers – keep her in your thoughts – it will only serve to make her stronger.

I will keep you all posted over the next few weeks as to her progress and future treatments with Dr Holt.

Thank you all for your emails and well wishes over these past months.
This site and those emails have been the only thing keeping me together.

Please stay in touch.

Tony "TECHNO"
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

Techno my heart goes out to your entire family.I will see Neil luke on sunday as we do Bible study,and say a special Prayer for Relle .Give her a hug for me,she will be constantly in my thoughts and Prayer. "I can do all things through Him who STRENGTHENS ME" Philippians 4:13
stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

Best wishes to your wife and the family. You and family are showing dignity and strength through this rough time. Your positive attitude is inspiring.

Syd
hart

assistance

Post by hart »

Techno,

If there is anything that Sydney can help you with, please let me know.

Cause if there is, it's yours mate.

Try to take care,

Bruce

Post by Rob »

Tony - strong healing prayers sent to Relle, you, your children, your family. God Bless you all in your great time of need.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Add our prayers and good thoughts from California, also.

My dad lost his eyesight when I was 5 y/o but that didn't stop him from teaching me how to camp, fish, boat and work on outboards and shoot (his friends taught me to hunt). This was due to diabetes and he lived for 13 years after that.

Not all is lost and life is full of miracles. Now for some double deep prayer, eh?!!!!

All the best,
Dan
kbing since plywood days
splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

All the best, stay strong and love each other.

If there is anything that us Brisbane or Sunshine Coast kneelos can do to help out, just yell.

Thoughts and prayers with you.
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Tony,
Having met you I know you are one of the good guys and will do the very best for your family. Stay strong.

Incidentaly Myself and my family will be up there staying at Maroochydore at the same time for 2 weeks so if you want to catch up give me a PM. No probs if you don't though.

Kind Regards
Brendan
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
john -

Post by john - »

Everyone has eaten and fallen asleep. The house is empty.
we walk out to the garden to let the apple meet the peach,
to carry messages between rose and jasmine.

Spring is Christ,
raising martyred plants from their shrouds.
Their mouths open in gratitude, wanting to be kissed.
The glow of the rose and the tulip means a lamp
is inside. A leaf trembles. I tremble
in the wind-beauty like silk from Turkestan.
The censer fans into flame.

The wind is the Holy Spirit.
The trees are Mary.
Cloudy pearls from Aden are thrown across the lovers,
as is the marriage custom.

The scent of Joseph's shirt comes to Jacob.
A red carnelian of Yemeni laughter
is heard by Muhammad in Mecca.

We talk about this and that.
There's no rest Except on these branching moments.

poem by the the leader of the whirling dervishes, Rumi - around 12C

its my mothers birthday

she died some years back - 6 weeks after my brother died from HIV

Tony its good to share life and life is a myriad of impermanent things

peace is everything - perhaps the only permanence when attained

I hope there is peace on your holiday which will truly make them holy days

love

dorje
Last edited by john - on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
merely labled
MEAT

Post by MEAT »

Techno (Tony),
I'm the short,with the number one hair do (on the melon) ex Fire fighter that you had a few beers (well maybe more than just a few) down at the Coffs contest.We waffled on for a few hrs on Firefighting (as one does),boring to everyone else but interesting to us, eh!!!
As Splashy and Brenden (heading up at the end of month) have said, if you are heading up this way it would be good to catch up. Whether it be for a surf,social, or even a BBQ at my place. If Relle,you and the family are up to it. Obviously,it will depend on how things are for you all. I think you have my ph #.If not,drop a line on this site and I or Splashy can give you a contact ph#. Brenden maybe you could do the same to get Splashy's or my ph#.
Tony, if it turns out that you won't be able to do the above...no dramas!!
Mate, Relle, you and the family have the greatest weapon of all to fight this "war".......love.
Regards,
MEAT (Steve)
willli

Post by willli »

Techno,
this storm has been upon you and your family, unrelenting. I cried when I read the update. and still you walk with your face to the wind pelted by rain, sheltering your family. words fail me. God bless you all.
willli
Techno

Thank You !!!

Post by Techno »

Thank You !!!

All you guys and girls are the only thing that keeps me sane at the moment !!!

I'm having someone babysit Relle tomorrow for my Club Comp and again on Friday and Saturday when I will be competing in our September 11th Memorial Surf Classic. (Look out Farnzilla)

I need some saltwater in my blood - real bad !!!

It seems that so much time has been taken up with Doctors / Tests etc. that I just plain forgot about me ???
And if I don't keep me functioning - who will keep the kids functioning ???

Thanx for the kind words - the prayers - the offers of help - the offers of $$$ - if and when it all gets too much for me - I will be ringing those that offered a helping hand.

The kids school is having free dress day on Friday and the kids will all pay $2.00 each as a fine and the proceeds will be going towards our trip to Perth and treatment with Dr Holt.

At the moment we will be leaving the kids here with school friends and just the two of us will fly to Perth for three weeks - but if we can raise enough $$$ we will take the kids with us and have a holiday/treatment stay there. Keep the family together.

I've also started making 1000 paper cranes for Relle - as you may be aware this is an ancient Japanese tradition usually done as a wish.
I think you all can work out what my wish is ???

Not all of you may be aware that I also have a serious medical condition - I have cronic renal failure (Kidneys are stuffed) and will be in need of Dialysis by Christmas - so I'm hoping that they might just last a little longer than that - and get me through whatever happens with Relle.

Life really sux for the "TECHNO" house at the moment ???

So say a prayer or two for me also while your at it !!!

Again - thanx for all your support !!!

Tony "TECHNO"
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!