CALF CRAMPS!!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

flojo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

CALF CRAMPS!!

Post by flojo »

Hi,
It seems that after about an hour, (sometimes sooner) my right calf cramps up and literally ends my surf session. I have tried a variety of fins and am currently using an open toe design specifically to address this problem.

Well it ain't solved yet. Anybody out there have a similar problem? Were you able to solve it? Is there some kind of vitamin supplementation that can help??

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Flojo
Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bud »

This subject has been discussed on this site at length.
Check it out @ http://www.ksusa.org./Forum/viewtopic.php?t=604&start=0

Lots of good info.

Some simple basics to help avoid this are:

Drink lots of water.
Don't eat a thing before you surf.
Don't drink anything that is diuretic .....ie coffe etc.
Make sure you are getting enough trace minerals such as potsium and magnesium in your diet. Natural sources (vegies) are best.
Practice yoga.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Last time I had serious calf cramps was back in the early 1970's. both calves cramped at take-off on a good 10 footer at Moss and ended up being pitched by the lip, holding both of my calves. Luckily, I wasn't wearing a leash (yet).

That is when I decided to think seriously about my surfing and taking care of my body through good nutrition. Bud's comments are all right on.

I have always been a good cook and I was fortunate to meet my wife who was a chef and has taught cooking for various nutrition programs including the Pritikin Longevity Center. Stay in shape; cross train; moderation in everything.
kbing since plywood days
K-man

cramps

Post by K-man »

Got them fairly often,seems like after a 2-3 hr. session My right calf would cramp up,and I'd spin out of control to the delight of the locL crew.
After analyzing the situation,I figured out that part of the problem was how I placed my feet on the tail.My style is unorthodox to begin with.but with a little practice I figured out how to plant my right foot so it felt more comfortable.
When waiting between sets I'll stretch my right foot upwards,stretching the calf as often as possible.
As bud says,drink plenty of water,as dehydration and cramps go hand in hand
Pretty much solved the problem for me-in part thanks to the great input from the good folks on this site.

K
albert

Post by albert »

If you stretch before every session, soon you will forget you ever had them
K-man

cramps

Post by K-man »

seahorn,

Moderation in everything :!: :shock: Don't think I have that much discipline,especially when I stop off at pleasure p. pizza and inhale three large wedges :lol:

K
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

stretching really helps. especially the calf muscle.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
flojo

leg cramps

Post by flojo »

Thanks for all the iinput!! I do the yoga, eat well and take pretty good care of myself so I think the water thing might help--along with supplemention-

thanks all!!

flojo
curlykneelo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by curlykneelo »

If I haven't been out for surf for a few weeks , I do tend to the cramps but if I go frequently 3-4 times a week it doesn,t seem to be a problem
MEAT

Post by MEAT »

Hi all,
Approx 10 yrs ago I started copping heaps of calf cramps whilst surfing.I contacted my brother who is a doctor and gave him my symptoms.He advised me to drink milk, maybe two glasses a day or take some calcium tablets.Also,do plenty of stretches.Cramps generally are caused by lack of calcium and ligament/muscle contraction.I did what my brother suggested and not a problem since except, when I've been slack and raced down to the surf without doing presurf stretches.Obviously if the milk and stretches don't fix the problem maybe it may be best to go to your Doc.Anyway give it a go and see what happens as it may not be your fins at all. :)
DarcyM

calf cramps

Post by DarcyM »

Although the swim fins may exacerbate the problem of cramping in the legs, I've noticed that my legs don't usually cramp when I'm kicking around the lineup. Makes me think that maybe the fins aren't to blame. The cramp more likely starts while I'm kneeling or just as I'm getting up on the board (an awkward time to be incapacitated by excruciating pain, for sure). Had a hamstring go once at the same time as well. Is there something about the kneeling position that contributes to or even creates the calf cramp? I've always felt that the lower legs were pretty neutral when riding kneeboards, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Just curious, if any medically/anatomically correct can reply.

Since I've really increased my uptake of water, its rare these days to have a muscle cramp problem. Used to get them more frequently.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
joe

Post by joe »

I don't think its the kneeling that gets you, its that sudden burst of energy when you're scratching for that set wave. I also never get cramps just kicking around. Its always as I'm about to drop in.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

I think its the combo of sudden burst of effort then kneeling SHORTENS and relaxes your calf muscle, starting movement in the cramp (short) direction while removing the muscle control from conscious control. Or something like that. Combo of sudden effort plus sudden position. Stretching relieves crramps cause it takes muscle in opposite direction. Calcium lack is often a culpret but so is low magnesium (maybe more common) also other minerals and probably a whole list of other possible causes, potassium, minor circulation prob, etc...
red

Post by red »

DrStrange, Darcy, Joe

I think you're on the money with this. I actually kick out to relax my calf muscles and feel the cramp pangs ebbing away as action on opposer muscles encourage the cramping ones to "let go"

Flojo,
I've had similar symptoms to you. I cramp up during top turns or cutties, never from flippering. As has been said above, you can slow the onset of these cramps by pushing hard into your heel while bending your toes towards your shin. This stretches out the calf.

My solution, however, is to change my kicking method occasionally. Instead of usual flippering I kick with the toes curled up towards my shin. The action is a bit like kicking a ball. Your flippers push down into the water, rather than lay flat in it, so you'll need flexible flippers to get any forward drive.
This kicking action stretches out the calf muscles or uses different muscle groups and seems to stop the problem ones from shortening and "curling up".
flojo

calf cramps

Post by flojo »

Red,
Thanks for your reply and everybody else's. I usually get the cramp right as I launch myself up onto the board after catching the wave. I think it is a combination of the things everybody has talked about plus a last, frantic kick by me to get into the wave. I surfed today and made it a point to stretch my calves right before going out. At the usual time, I got a small cramp but not one the made me come in so I think all this advice is helping. I will also try your method of kicking--

thanks again

flojo