CALF CRAMPS!!

With the averge age of the kneeboarder these days this area should be used to post issues on health matters (surfer's ear, knee surgery, stretches, etc).

Moderator: Moderator

Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

I only get them with flippers on but I just jerk my leg the other way and they disappear.
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

mornin,

Got one yesterday.Did a morning session with doc s.2+ hrs. into the second session,got abeauty..At that point I realized I was dehydrated-extremly thirsty,and spent time between sets grabbing the right foot and streching it up toward the knee.Works good-squeezed out another hr.
Seen a few people around with small packs around the bod,with small boxes of sports type drinks.Once the liquid is gone it flattens down nicely and is out of the way.Might give it a whirl.
Another point being that i tend to whiz a lot in the water,which no doubt has somethig to do with the dehydration,and the cramps

K
MTBarrels

Post by MTBarrels »

I've tried lots of approaches (hydration, bananas, various minerals, quinine, etc., and stretching--both individually and in various combinations). The only thing that seems to correlate with when (or how frequently) I get them is the water temperature--seldom get them in summer, 90% or more of the sessions in the winter. About 2/3 of the time when I get a cramp for the first time in a session it will involve only one calf muscle; the remaining 1/3 of the time, both will cramp up virtually simultaneously. The cramps ALWAYS occur when transitioning to my knees. I usually can rub/stretch the muscle back out within a short time after the ride (although the muscle may still ache)...but almost invariably I will immediately get another one if I keep on surfing.
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
red

Post by red »

I guess I get around the transitioning cramps these days by seldom flippering the last few strokes. Once the board is on a plane I often lift my feet/flippers out of the water to reduce drag and let the board do the work until it's time to get up. But then I do ride a board that's a dream to paddle and 6' long.
Wheelo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Wheelo »

Try this.... when you are bobbing around inbetween sets... reach down and grab the end of your fin... drive your heel down & toes-up.... alternate legs and hold for 30sec min. Helps me avoid the major cramp and relax those small knots. I had a tendon "pop" in my right calf last Spring @ 1/2 way into the session ! Talk about pain... It felt like I hit something in the water plus the cramp! could barely walk for three days... finally healed @ 3-4weeks! As mentioned, drink water & no big grub ...

Good Luck Brudder

:mrgreen:
- Mark

~~ Surf'n Cali Since 1973 ~~
stemple

Post by stemple »

I find when I a get a cramp if I stretch and take it easy for 15 minutes it usually goes away. I also do not get nearly as many in warm water.

K-man interestingly a study done in Australia showed that there was a significant statistical correlation between shark attacks and pissing in your wetsuit. Apparently a urinating mammal leaves somewhat of a chemical trail in the water. The theory is the sharks pick up the urine scent and hone in on it. Based on where you surf drinking lots while in the line up may not be the wisest thing in the world.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Gotta have that fresh ground cup in the morning :!: ,with 1/2-1/2 of course.
Which of course,understanding that coffee is a diuretic is why I wizz a lot.Which means becoming dehydrated,which means calf cramps.
We are creatures of habit-no?

Stemple,Ya got nothing better to do than search the world for info on wizzing in wetsuits :?: :lol: No shark's gonna follow my trail,my sweety says it smells like ''BILLY GOAT PEE''-And don't ferget to flush :x

k :lol:
JIMMYDAWEAZLE

Post by JIMMYDAWEAZLE »

Iv`e noticed when I surf my shorter boards that I realy gotta pump hard rail to rail to keep up with the wave, I tend to get cramps more than the longer boards I carve on and don`t have to pump so hard and often, I also notice that the cold water makes me cramp up, been sucked over the falls at southside sealbeach with both my calves cramped and slamed on the sand thought my mucsles were being riped off my bones,that was in 73. I was told first massage your calves if you can`t get them to relax take a big gulp of sea water, your cramped legs should go away fast, wouldn`t drink sea water in or near a city or river mouth, might end up with stomache cramps too. That`s my input
DANCE ON YOUR KNEES AND NEVER GROW UP
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

It is a scary day when you have to admit that beeline is right about something, I recently switched from a Romo to a Flashpoint and have noticed how much less fatigued I am after the first two hours of surfing. The looser boards require less leg strength to turn, less fatigue less cramps.

Caffeine is another issue, I now drink less coffee before a morning surf and try to down a bottle of water right before suiting up.

Curtis
budman
Local (More than 25 post)

Leg Cramps

Post by budman »

Why would a 5-10 Romo give you cramps and not a 5-10 Blast? I have ridden Romo's for years as well as many other shapers and never could say a shaper caused my cramps.Cramps are caused by a cpuple of things.
1.Muscles and cells in the body that are not properly hydrated is 80% of the cause.
2. Muscles/Tendons that are not properly flexed/stretched is the other leading cause,not Romo or Hart or McCray.
Beeline2.0

Re: Leg Cramps

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

Too much whining and crying about swimfins and cramps --just get in shape and go ride some waves anyway you choose!! haha--My wife whines about her cramps alot less!!!
budman

Post by budman »

john wrote:Too much whining and crying about swimfins and cramps --just get in shape and go ride some waves anyway you choose!! haha--My wife whines about her cramps alot less!!!
Now there you go...my thoughts excactly