Fresh Stream Of Kneelo Videos Comin' Your Way

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Fresh Stream Of Kneelo Videos Comin' Your Way

Post by Scott »

I finally got around to getting some of my videos up on Yahoo Video. Future projects will have non-copyrighted music and will end up on KSUSA. But here are my older ones. I'll probably put two up each week for a few weeks. Some are better than others! And as short as 1 minute and as long as 6 minutes. There is also a place to rate the videos there, as we do with our own photo gallery.

These are longer videos and the file sizes are pretty huge. Sorry about that but further compression degrades the images too much.

These first video offerings are both from around the time of last year's Santa Cruz Kneeboarding Festival. Included is the contest highlite footage in two different formats:

Quicktime:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.488065

Windows Media Video:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.488038

The second video is a more of a documentary piece that I premiered with the contestants on the second night of the contest. It traces the early history of kneeboarding in Santa Cruz. It is also in two formats:

Quicktime:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.490399

Windows Media Video:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.490225

Enjoy. Keep an eye out for this thread as there will be more to come for the next few weeks, such as the 2005 North Shore Gathering!
Last edited by Scott on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skansand

Post by skansand »

those a sick//////love the old skool footage .....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Scott!!!
:D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) !! Wonderful job. Thanks!
Landlocked
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Landlocked »

I love it!
Thanks Scott
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Scott, GREAT JOB. Thanks for putting in the time for us to enjoy.
Greg...
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Its like the "Dogtown and Z Boys" documentary of kneeboarding in Santa Cruz! I loved it! And I have to give you guys more respect than you can imagine kneeboarding paipos--at the lane--sans leashes! Crazy!
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
kage

Post by kage »

Fantastic :D . I've watched the paipo section about five times. THAT'S what I want to do with my paipo. Thanks for putting this together you guys.
we are the knights that say knee
Scott

Post by Scott »

THAT'S what I want to do with my paipo.
Kage,

Yes, they really get going on some of those waves--really fun to watch. You are the current Santa Cruz paipo master and will take it, no doubt, to new heights!

Thanks to all of you who have enjoyed the videos, particularly Proto Kneelos. You can't imagine when Jon Manss had me over at his house last September and asked me to watch the raw footage he had just received from Bob DuBois (who has been living mostly in Costa Rica)--when I saw that paipo section and guys hopping up to their knees, my eyes just about popped out of my head! I got so excited!! I was actually around Santa Cruz around that time, though only about 13 years old and just fooling around with mat surfing and long boarding. I moved to Arizona the following year. I remember guys experimenting with kneeling on paipos, but never imagined that somewhere a video of this had actually survived. When I saw it I knew it just had to be released to a wider audience.

Jack White was also a friend of my brother's (MOW) and I always heard about what a great kneelo he was, but was only in the water with him one time by accident in 1973. I was also jazzed to be able to highlite his style as it is such a unique demonstration of style at that time.

Speaking of "that time", since I produced the video I learned that most of the footage was from about 1970 to 1972, not the late sixties. Bob DuBois just corrected us on this when he saw the video for the first time a month or so ago. But the narration and other time stamps were already in the video--too tough to redo Jon's impromptu narraration. But that's the truth for those of you who are keen for accuracy in such things...

Where is similar old footage of the San Diego crew under Steve Lis? Or something from Australia or New Zealand besides what GG has filmed and released? Or Hawaii? Or South Africa? Or Bolsa Chica?

I'd be happy to work with creating other historical pieces if it is needed.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Thanks Scott for the correction of dates. We will have to sit down with that Has Been Bob he can fill in every date, name and location. He's only seen them 5,000 times and he doesn't forget much. Not like some of us. :roll: Jon
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Scott thanks putting that together and for making that video available :D I watched it twice in a row! I saw it up north on the bigger screen and its wonderful to see it again. Much respect to all those guys, and to Jon Manss whos still rippin it up with style 8)
that jack white sequence at stockton ave. is killer too! those barrels !!
I do have a question jon, did anyone in the lineup give you guys any trouble for being on a paipo and later kneeboard?
tomb
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Scott, quality work, especially on the history vid, right down to the music, and so moving the way you presented it. You could say the nostalgia came in waves. Props to Jon for his words.

Any plans to start shooting from the water? The Worlds are coming.
Last edited by Man O' War on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
strudle

Post by strudle »

Oh man! The speed they were getting on those little machines!! I wish I could go that fast on my modern equipment. Is it because they were made of a warped piece of plywood? Absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing it world wide.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Tom to answer your question, did we get hassled yes and no. When there were no leashes and you surfed next to cliffs you had the surf all to your self and a few hard core good riders who could afford a broken board. Therefore medium to high tide Kneeboard heaven. As the tide dropped and the stand ups came out it was sort of, get out of my way you already got yours. But all in all we got a lot of respect because we were watched from the cliffs alot. The other thing that a lot of people forget about is when you don't wear cords the surf spots become advance, intermidiate and beginners. If you can't surf well enough to hold on to your board you found a place where you could afford to lose it. So most of the great spots that required skill or a broken board were surfed by the same crews. Yeah, and we got respect there.
Last edited by Jon Manss on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Thanks Scott

I really enjoyed both videos, but particularly the historical piece on Santa Cruz including Jon's narration. Fascinating how kneeboarding developed semi independently in various locales. Good luck in your quest for more archival footage.
Shelfbreak
rodndtube

Post by rodndtube »

Hats off to Scott and Jon Manss!