Fresh Stream Of Kneelo Videos #2, June 13th Additions

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Fresh Stream Of Kneelo Videos #2, June 13th Additions

Post by Scott »

Next of my weekly installments:

1. Some 2005 North Shore Gathering Highlites (during my week there). It was tough to stay out of the water and to even think about filming as the waves were soooo good. Even for the few minutes I did film I got some pretty hot surfing. I also spent some water sessions with a digital camera in a waterproof housing, but that was a lot harder than I expected; nothing much to show for my efforts there. But it was all great fun being around with so many great people and their families, and watching the filming of Simon's NSG05.

Quicktime Format:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.510943

WMV Format
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.510924

2. A short clip of a fun wave I had a few winters ago at Scott Creek. My son, Jordan, was filming. I was surfing my steady: a Blast Tri-fin that has always come off the bottom well--thanks, Bud!

WMV Format
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=e ... 19f.510081

All of my posted clips thus far are found at:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/profile?yid=spjk4
Last edited by Scott on Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by TC »

Hi Scott, I was wondering if you might post the new videos on this site. We have not had an update of the video selection for a bit and I’m sure we all would love to see your new footage. Cheers TC
Scott

Post by Scott »

TC, good suggestion about updating our site. I've been talking with Don Harris about new videos on this site, for which he also has a passion. My previous video projects, unfortunately, cannot be posted here as any videos on this site should use only non-copyrighted music. Thus, I am using Yahoo as my hosting site.

Don is sending me, however, some very cool as-of-yet-unseen kneelo footage from various trips, events, etc. I will be producing more video shorts based on this material over the summer and into next fall with the "right" music and those will appear on KSUSA. That will make everyone's life easier to watch kneelo video!

There are some other issues having to do with live streaming, not currently a feature with KSUSA and rather expensive depending on how much use it receives. Yahoo has a great streaming engine and it's free for novices like me. KSUSA does not live stream at this point; you have to download the file completely before viewing. Some of my videos on Yahoo are upwards of 25 megs, so figure out the hassle that would be for most of you out there if you had to download them first!
strudle
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by strudle »

You could always convert your videos to Flash video format. Then if KSUSA embedded the flash movie into the Video page you could stream for free. Some video editing programs are able to export as Flash video. Streaming in fFash is pretty easy to do, and I can help if need it.
mike schmaeling

Post by mike schmaeling »

Hey Scott,

What program are you using to edit your filming. I'm interested in getting Power Director 5, but would love to get your (and anyone else's) opinion on good, easy to use DVD editing programs.

Mike
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Another question...

I'm sitting on High-8 film and some lower-grade VHS. Since I'm a knuckle-dragger, and very time-constrained, I'd love to talk to someone about conversion.

On a slightly related topic... there's a more complicated project that involves my folk's benchmark anniversary and a skunk-works PowerPoint / independent audio presentation that would be very special for my folks to convert to a contemporary and enhance-able solution...

Job 1 is hopefully cheap and cheerful. Job 2 is something that could/should be compensated...
Scott

Post by Scott »

Bob, nice projects you've got. I have some ideas for you; especially the video conversion of your VHS and Hi-8 stuff is soooo easy now. See you tomorrow morning for the a.m. surf.

Mike: best entry-level consumer editing system? The answer--go with the one that is easy for you, you actually use it! You can't afford to become discouraged in your early attempts at editing video or you will give up. I have three suggestions:

a. go with a system that you can download as a trial version first (Pinnacle Studio Plus and ULead have this, I believe, and others). If you don't like it, if it doesn't work for you well, don't buy it.

b. go with a editing product that you clearly overpower with your current PC or Mac. You should have a faster CPU and more memory than they require, and plenty of hard drive space. It's no fun to edit video on a machine that is bogged down by the complexity of the software program. It might even lock up on you with some frequency, and you will quickly lose all interest you ever had in editing.

c. don't spend much money on video editing until you have completed a few simple video projects and you know you really enjoy the process. The more $$ you spend upfront, the more guilt and pressure you will feel to have it all work perfectly for you. Video should be a fun creative process (like sticking Johnny Cash into a kneelo clip!) and it takes very litte dough to be creative.

d. have a friend somewhere who is pretty techy and who will help you out if/when you get stuck. Most problems are minor (as long as your machine is not overpowered by the demands of your software--see b above) and the right guy or gal can keep you moving.

All that being said, over the last four years I have used ULead, Premiere 5.0, Premiere 6.0 and a little bit of Final Cut Pro. ULead was by far the easiest (I did the two Oceanside contest videos on this site on ULead two years ago), but not a lot of extra features. Final Cut Pro is by far the most powerful, but I'm not a Mac guy, and it's very expensive, and it really needs a powerful computer tailored for serious video editing. Most of the videos that you will see from me, such as the 2005 North Shore Gathering posted today, are on Premiere Elements 2.0. It's new, pretty inexpensive, quite powerful, but not the easiest one to learn on. However, it's very well supported by Adobe, there are consumer bulletin boards out there of guys helping each other out, and Elements will be around for a long, long time and just continue to get better and better. I'm just beginning to learn some of its more complex features. My earliest videos were created on Premiere 6.0, such as the "Winter Memory" posted today, which is now considered a dinosaur.

You are interested, Mike, in Power Director 5.0. I don't know much about it, but it gets a very strong review against other similar entry-products in this comparison study:

http://video-editing-software-review.to ... C=standard

but I don't know if the review was underwritten by the makers of Power Director--kinda seems that way!

In summary, go cheap and go simple until you're basking in a number of initial successes and, like me, you're definitely getting hooked.
Bud

Post by Bud »

mike schmaeling

Post by mike schmaeling »

Thanks Guys,

Great website, Bud!!!

Scott: Your suggestions hit home. I had to recently upgrade my memory and RAM just to handle the cheap program that came with the camera.

I had seen that review, that's why I planned on getting Power Director. Unless I hear/read something bad about this progam, I'll probably purchase it this weekend. If you want, I'll PM you with a short evaluation.

Mike
skansand

mike

Post by skansand »

why not tell us all what you think about it here on this thread???...its just cyberspace ....there no limit of room or words.......???????????
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon