Its our turn now for the Mentawai Islands

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

APPLAUSE!!!
8) 8) 8)

(This lip hit in front of Tom Curren is especially 8) )

You all we're killing it!
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Simon,

The cutback sequences are especially great on your site--the angle of the pics was really unique and captured all that compressed energy you bring into those turns. Keep 'em coming!
ross

Post by ross »

what about Barry Baker having a good go at that lip?that's f#ckin hot.
Tell me he made that and i'll wee in my pants :lol:

what about Gav smashing the hell out of that unsuspecting sector.

and the whole crew pulling into pits they have no business coming out of 8) :lol:

been a bit of a photo orgy lately eh? 8)
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

some remarkable GREAT surfing going on there 8) Otoole's photography is awesome
the resulting video has got to be nothing less than stellar.
ross if your refering to barrys hit in front of tom curren he did make it, then hit it again after that! barry shared some his pics with me.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Good to see you guys got some great waves, pics and footage to share.
Well done all involved.

8) :D

Indo can really deliver the goods eh?!

HEY DON !

How about adding Simon's website to the links section of this website ?
barry

wee wee

Post by barry »

Hey Ross, Hope your wearing a diaper :lol:
Not sure which photo your talking about.....

if its the 1 posted prior to Steenos signature headstand (gotta love it :!: )
I happen to pull that 1 and that is Dane Reynolds having a look at all the kneelo action going down all around him 8)

the photo posted prior to Gav flying on rail over the tube (he made it)
is the wave that Mutiny mentioned

There was lots of talent in the water over there
with respect being earned and given to all humans
willing to charge :idea:

There is an art to riding waves and it is not dependant on
the type of vehicle you choose to ride :wink:
Barry
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Incredible Pics and Amazing surfing,: Ya gotta be STOKED!!! 8)
I had the oppurtunity to see Barry's pics Robert O' shot too. Barry's annihlation of the lip and flipper dragging tube stalls, Simons power cutbacks with style smooth as silk, Bill's casual manner bottom turning under a crushing lip, Gigs power and speed, and great to see Gav tearing it up again. Can't wait for the video :D
HEY SIMON, wishing you and Bec smooth sailing on the delivery of your third child. :D Wayne
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Bud... spoke with Don this AM... he's switching servers and upgrading the site today and over the weekend, including the link to Simon's site.

Too bad it was blown out this AM, but that might make the site upgrades happen that much faster!
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

video clips mentawis

Post by stevea »

congratulations you guyssome the best kneelo photos ive ever seen takes a great photograher to capture equally great surfers ive always been impressed with the ozzie guys and was especially impressed with barry bakers surfing in new zealand 1996 and i stiil remember gigs barrel in the qld worlds this is going to be one awesome video im positive it will eclipse any previous efforts and thats not easy to do and all the best simon to you and bec in the coming weeks and into the futurewith your new addition
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Great photos, Simon your site works well for me and the images upload quickly. I have been staring at that shot of Barry in the tube and I'm still wondering what part of his board is holding him in the wave!
Shelfbreak
nwdude
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

help ?

Post by nwdude »

i'm bummed - none if the pics on this thread come thru for me - i have an imac - could that be the reason ? - i'm not techie at all, so any help here would be great - thanks !!!
Beeline2.0

Re: help ?

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Its been cool reading your posts guys when I get the chance :roll:
Thanks for the support & positive words.
The photo's are cool 8) & I must thank Robert O'Toole for his skills & dedication to the sport :wink:
Like Robert, George Blair & myself put in some serious hours to get the stills & footage sacrificing many good sessions.
The vibe in the Mentawai's was something else. The talk around the islands was of the Billabong crew with Occy, Egan, Irons, Parkinson & other pros like Dane Reynolds etc & the kneelo's. 8)
The lads where mixing it up like ive never seen.
Bill was nothing more than inspiring. Charging the bigger days & getting some of the best tube rides of the trip.
Barry was opening the eyes of all the pro's & anyone that got to see him cracking it, smacking it & whacking it then getting slotted. Unfortunately Barry got what could have been the best barrels of the trip at Lances left but the wave in front Bill was on & getting slotted on a 6ft beauty which I was filming from shore & George was in the dingy filming the same wave. I heard the screams from shore from all who saw Barry's tube from the water & surrounding boats. I finished filming Bills wave thinking how cool the wave was then when I saw this thick angry 8ft freight train barrel section on the wave behind with no one on it :!: then out of no where was this burst of spit followed by Barry & the up roar of spectators & groans from me that I had missed it. That's life & in some ways the wave stands out more to me & Im sure to others that saw it due to it not being captured on film. One of those moments that cant be spoilt as the camera would not have picked up on the emotion of seeing such a sight & the cheers that followed. I'm kidding myself about this I know :roll: but its the only way of stopping me from crying :lol: Well done Barry :wink:
Watching Gavin Colman was nothing more than breathtaking, exciting, unpredictable unless you expected him to do something crazy :twisted: at the shallowest section of the reef as that was where he did most of his dynamic surfing. :twisted:
Gigs Celliers was Mr all rounder on any of the days, big or small he just straight out ripped. 8) Where ever he went people new of him & his surfing ability. The main guy running Kandui Island pulled him up & asked if he was here a few years ago as he remembers a kneelo from Sth Africa that blew there minds & was talked about for weeks after he left the islands. They also knew he was a multiple world champ without asking anyone from our boat. Again the kneelo's are recognised & respected & remembered for there surfing ability.
Steen Barnes, when he was in the water :!: he was beautiful to watch as always. Smooth, powerful & a pleasure to have around in & out of the water. The man has an amazing talent with his hands which kept everyone in stitches the whole trip :shock:
Robert O'Toole, Mr ding :shock: weather it was equipment or himself. Amazing photographer & a hell of a kneelo. Check out his site http://service.foliolink.com/artist.asp ... y=8T5M8YEK
My hat goes off to my Friend George Blair. :wink:
The man was seriously injured(knee) from work before the trip & had every right not to come as he could only walk at best & was not likely going to get on his board but did come & sat in the baking sun for hours filming, swam over exposed reefs filming water shots of the lads, got cut from the reef coming in to help me film on land, got sea urchins Approx. 30 in one hand, fell off a raised boardwalk for a tsunami escape route which broke & narrowly missed some dagger roots that were sticking about a foot out of the swamp which could have killed him. Thanks George & I hope people if they see him thank him also. :wink:
Me!
I had an amazing journey. It was the first time I had sat on the back bench so as to record this special trip. It was the hardest thing ive ever had to do! Watching the lads going crazy in perfect waves & not go out there myself. The surfs I did go out in may not have been the best days but to experience the lads going off in the water next to me was so cool. One funny experience I do have was doing a big turn in front of Tom Curran (not the photo on the site!) & going almost up side down back to front trying at all times to look like I was in control 8) but deep down knew I was in trouble & so was Tom if he didn't get the hell out of the way. I ended up doing a pretty spectacular wipe-out inches from him.
The one thing that stood out to me was his eyes when I surfaced was of a mixture of horror & surprise. Gave him a bit of KNEEBOARDING to remember on the trip.
Don't know why but he got out of the water after that. Good last memory maybe :lol: :oops: :lol:
I am writting a short story about the trip & hope to put it up soon for anyone to read.
Thanks Wayne & Steve for the good wishes to Bec & I for the new bub :D 3wks & 6 days to go :shock:
So ive got 3wks & 6 days to get this film out :lol: :lol:
Not a chance :!:
I will post some more photo's soon of the trip.
Thanks again for your support

Simon
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Thank you Simon, thanks, thanks, thanks! Great read. Your description of Barry's wave is classic, and truthful. I think we can all hear the cheers/hoots from our computers. It'll make seeing Bill's great wave on film all the more intriguing. Thanks for returning Bill and Barry to us safely 8)
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

To Simon Farrer: THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THE STOKE ALIVE AND KEEPING KNEEBOARDING AWESOME. PLEASE GET THIS DVD OUT ASAP; I'M REALLY INTERESTED AND IT MAY JUST BE MY FIRST KNEEBOARD VIDEO PURCHASE!

--marcus bockman...ps--I don't know if I'll be able to kneel again due to mouting damage to my body from skateboarding (I've quit skateboarding and sit here with a leg cast), but you and other kneelos keep my stoke alive. KEEP DOCUMENTING THE ALOHA.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?