Crystal Voyager!!!!!

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Crystal Voyager!!!!!

Post by skansand »

http://youtube.com/results?search_query ... rch=Search

...sick movie.
george greenough paddles out in some epic looking waves and get ridiculously long barrels alone....you dont see anyone in the lineup or even greenough himself the whole time, although i think i spotted his fin,er... flippers one time...

so where is that spot anyway? :)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Skansand,
Lennox Hd a long time in the past, early in the morning,
I always thought he'd got the wrong side of Meddle for the sound track.
:roll:
while waiting for the cyclone I think I'll dig out my copy of that old vinyl and amp up in anticipation....real waves due at the points in Oz later this week
cheers
Riq de kneelo :)
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
frankfqr

crystal voyager

Post by frankfqr »

Been 35+ yrs. since I read an interview about those shots, and I've never seen the flic. Thanks for posting that ska!!!! As I recall GG's description details his urge to film one particular "square" pitch in the wave from the inside out, after a number of attempts and failing, due to the weight of the camera, he nixes the idea of taking off in the bowl and paddles further up the point to build speed and fly thru. I always remembered that detail in the interview and having now seen the pics. I can see all the attempts, and right down to the straight pitch of the lip on the final one he made. Good Stuff!!! Lot's of texture on those faces, looking forward to Simon's versions of the "old in out, in out."
randiego

Post by randiego »

ya gotta blaze up before watching that! :P

regrettably, it's only available in PAL format. I saw one VHS tape on ebay. $175. :shock:
skansand

Post by skansand »

haha...we all get to watch it for free....thats great.....

..on a couple wipeouts the water turns red....really trippy ...is that because of austrailias red earth,possibly in the water?...or maybe its a digital effect?.....someone ask greenough for me :)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I let RT borrow my Tape about 10 yrs ago but ...he never returned it :cry: :cry:
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

I"M getting flash backs man! :shock: :shock:
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

No, your getting those from that Floyd concert with Echoes footage.. remember?? It was you wasn't it... :idea: :idea: :idea: :?: :!:
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

The laundrymat down the street from my apartment shows Aussie videos on the T.V. monitor. The owner is a surfer I believe. I've seen Crystal Voyager, about 6 months ago, and another video where Greenough is driving to a surf spot in Australia in a old car with the roof chopped off so that it is a convertible. It's a real classic, watch George while you fold your clothes.__________Mark. :)
Headwax.

trust me

Post by Headwax. »

fortunate enough to see the original in the Music Room (?) Sydney Opera House either late 74 very early 75 and err

You can buy CV in DVD was released in 2004 for its 30th anniverasry. Buy it and you will be happy. You get to see George Greenough with the same hair cut but a very wrinkly face, acting the part of a cranky old man who lives on a farm which is scattered with old tyres where he grows his vegies

Mind you, its worth buying for the music alone. And alby's mercedes is getting very old .....

Trust me

;)
Last edited by Headwax. on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Headwax.

Re: trust me

Post by Headwax. »

Last edited by Headwax. on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john -

Post by john - »

randiego wrote: regrettably, it's only available in PAL format. I saw one VHS tape on ebay. $175. :shock:

did it sell?
gene west

g.g

Post by gene west »

I remember going to see this flick at Hoover High School.....an odd venue for a surf flick since it's inland, 1969, everyone trippin',lots of hootin', and lots of just plain awe. I have a copy on tape,anybody who wants a copy can send me a blank tape......
geno
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

geno, nice offer. i bought the dvd in the foreign format, had to have it reformatted for $50, then burned lots of copies and distributed them around. don't tell anybody.

i got some background on this movie, because i was surprised by gg's surfing when i first saw it. he seemed to be catching rails, bogging down, falling behind and sort of struggling. turns out it was one of his proto edge boards, a transitional shape he was messing with. wasn't satisfied with it, kept making changes after the movie, added runners, this, that, till it was working. so you have to take that into account when you're watching it. nice period piece, regardless. how about that music? i was embarrassed, el nino loved it. go figure.

btw, i caved in. i'm free of capital letters. next the punctuation is going.
gene west

g.g.

Post by gene west »

Mark....good to hear from you hermano, and thanks for the inside info! As for the music, it seems El Nino and I are kindred spirits although my real connection for Pink Floyd was from being dosed by them backstage @ a concert of theirs here in S.D. and watching them play Echo's while using G.G.'s film as a back drop! As for your leaning toward dropping capital's and perhaps punctuation, I reckon your post's will resemble stream of consciousness, ala Kerouac.....here's to your freedom!!!
geno