GoPro Helmet Cam, Episode 1

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

GoPro Helmet Cam, Episode 1

Post by Scott »

Got my replacement helmet cam from GoPro (they gave me a nice discount after learning I lost my first one on my first day out). Gave it a try with a helmet mount two days ago at Four Myle. Sorry for the duplication of a few scenes--something I didn't intend but happened in the conversion to Flash video.

There were only about 5 of us out on this Monday morning--so much swell over the last few weeks, no one's jonesing for a surf all the time, and school is back in session!

These little cameras are really cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySOR41oMnw
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Scott, That's cool! I enjoyed surfing with you and I wasn't even cold 8)
greg "swivel"
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by greg "swivel" »

Hey Scott, sorry to hear bout your 1st rig,well lend that to experience right? Well this perspective and being able to surf with you iz way kool and I'm looking foward to seein how your experience and progress grow!!! Lookin 4ward to seein more expression sessionz 8) :wink: Bro!:D
~"Be Seein Ya From The Inside Lookin Out"~
~"SWIVEL"~
~GH~
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Really great Scott! I liked the soundtrack too!

Post by randiego »

Great stuff Scott! You better be careful or you'll get the bug!! :lol: :lol:
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

I really enjoyed this - keep making more! Haven't been wet in a while but I felt like I'd had a surf after watching the vid.
It was interesting to see how often you seemed to look down at the board, and where your head was turned at different times on a wave.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

really cool Scott. keep em coming 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Scott

Post by Scott »

It was interesting to see how often you seemed to look down at the board, and where your head was turned at different times on a wave.
Yes, Kneebumps, keeping one's head up and looking mostly across the wave face is really important with a helmet cam, but not nature for me. I'm trying to learn better how to do that and position the cam looking up a bit more. I guess this shows how often I check the trough of the wave to time my bottom turns and make sure the nose of my board is at the proper trim. Makes me respect Simon's headcam shots even more as he keeps the view up and really allows us to see the wave in the best sense.

For those interested, the Hindi-hip hop music is by Punkara from their Asian Dub Foundation CD. I first heard it as bumper music on the Dennis Prager talk show, and thought, "now that would make cool and unusual surf music!"
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Ditto on the footage and music, Scott. I thought even the rock walk at the beginning was suspenseful.
scoop

Post by scoop »

Hey Scott

Great stuff matee

I purchased a bright orange floatable wrap on US eBay as a backup which is easy to see if it does detach from the board for my GoPro ... A good buy I believe ... a kind of insurance policy.
Keep up the great work mate
Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Scott I'm in NYC with my old computer, too slow to be playing YouTube stuff :lol: but will try to view it sometime when I get home. What mount are you using for the helmet? Is it the little square ones that come with the camera?
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Scott

Post by Scott »

you should let me know next time you show up so i can let some of my buddies know. they always enjoy people from san jose bringing video cameras and posting them on youtube. i'm not a fan of the music but the footage was awesome. was it about 1-2'?
Capt, I may post on YouTube, but only on spots well known, and there is nothing in the YouTube video title that references the spot, or helmetcam, or even kneelo. You pretty much have to know just what you're looking for to find it at all--no one doing any sort of ForMyle search will find anything. Guys in the water here know me and thought it was cool having the camera out there... Yeah, like I'd travel to someone else's intense local, film and post.

The waves were about 4-6' that morning, but the camera's fisheye lens doesn't give a sense of size at all. I think I'd have to be surfing about 12' or more to get any real sense of size. I noticed that same "shrinking effect" with the great Mike Fernandez' cool video he made from his solo session in NZ last year. He said it was 10' but it was really hard to tell that from the video itself.

Speaking of you, Mike, yes I was just using the standard "little square clip" on the special helmet strap available from Go Pro. Feels like it would take a wave of immense power to dislodge it. Or being pile driven head first into the reef.

I did happen to find another helmetcam kneelo video from one of the British guys from last spring, but it's only be viewed by a couple of blokes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4htkxsvO41c
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Maybe I'm missing it, but what exactly are you trying to say Capn?
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Okay.
Thats what I thought. . . You are writing after or during the aforementioned imbibing.
Hey Capt. Take it easy okay? 8)
It's nice to have you around.
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: dssdv

Post by Moderator »

CaptKneemo wrote:O.K. i errrrrrrr uhhhhhhhh "really" do respect your errrr good perspective, that you only call out spots that are really well known. I'm sure everyone that surfs Blacks is glad they did a great write up on Blacks in TSJ. It was very informative and Blacks guys should be thankful for all the props, exposure and reminders! Blacks, Blacks, Blacks. Everyone knows Blacks exists. No one really reads this site anyway. but should we be reminded?
The Moderator is confused. We've reviewed the video in question and we are giving it an enthusiastic two thumbs up. :P

Our confusion lies in how this relates to the poor souls who have to tolerate the continued exploitation of Blacks. We do support the efforts of the membership who are seeking clarification on that point.

Frankly, we can't tell tell if the video was filmed at Point Baja, Point Conception or Point Arenas, and we're in favor of that.