tube ride bailouts

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

I hear you, but i think spinal injuries relating to diving into waters that you already know are super shallow top most things that we might like to avoid with regard to the effect they might have on someone elses long term quality of life
Jamie
tomway

Post by tomway »

EDIT: Just reread the title of the thread, so this is a bit OT.

We're all focusing on the tube here but in my experience it's not usually when you're in the tube that most injuries happen. It's when you're stuck out in the flats of a collapsing or surging beast with not tube to pull in to and an impeding lip behind you and a rocky or sandy shelf in front of you.

THEN what do you do? You have to get away from your board and you have to penetrate the surface without risking your essential elements :shock: As a stand up in shallow water you can go feet first, or eject the board and assume the starfish. For a kneelo? :twisted:
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

totally agree with that Jamie. so much comes down to luck....bad luck.
when someone as talented as Tom gets hurt it just proves there is no magic formula.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
crox

Post by crox »

When I said diving forward Jamie, I didn't mean towards the beach! :shock: I've nearly broken my own neck that way & still suffer from it. I meant diving along the wave....I try to body surf away from my board in the tube....by weighting down on the nose to bury at the very last moment & continuing to ride by bodysurfing to get away from my board......but you need some water under you...... I'm not sure you can advocate any method....it's just what works for you & a lot is instinctive.
Last edited by crox on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
jamie

Post by jamie »

Not sure what kind of barrels your talking about Crox, but if I am deep and thinking of bailing, then body surfing is not an option. Barrels and low tide seem to go together for me, so the bottom is close even if you exit parallel with the beach. i have grazed my forehead many times by glancing off the bottom when diving shallow off the front of my board.

Back on track i suppose i am advocating that simon's original call of staying on board for as long as possible seems like sage advice and even more so in light of Tom's accident.
Jamie
crox

Post by crox »

Quote "Not sure what kind of barrels your talking about Crox".......& this is the crux of it :lol: .......you adapt the way you surf to the conditions.

Quote "Back on track I suppose I am advocating that Simon's original call of staying on board for as long as possible seems like sage advice and even more so in light of Tom's accident." .....I wouldn't disagree with that either.
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
red

Post by red »

tomway wrote:This is a bit OT.
when you're stuck out in the flats of a collapsing or surging beast with not tube to pull in to and an impeding lip behind you and a rocky or sandy shelf in front of you. THEN what do you do?
Straighten out and bail backwards into the foam, roll over and swim underwater. Your leash will get punished, but that's what they're for.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Its great to read all this! hearing the different perspectives and experiences..the more i thought about how I ride the barrel the more i thought about how i do ride until the bitter end in the barrel figuring that im going to get worked anyway i might as well try and ride it out as long as possible.. I might avoid the criticle part of the lip coming down on me...
Simon/ max I always get hurt when its small!! I think a lot of us have that in common !!!
Around here in Huntington Beach its mostly beachbreak closeout barrels so we are always sniffing out a section that we can gain speed from and pull in down the line..
Barry Baker has always been an inspiration to me for a long time always pushing it all the time.. encouraging me/us around here in HB... not that I could keep up mind you but I would try and follow his lead anyways :shock:
and find myself in some scary predicaments :lol:
like minus low tide river jetties in newport crack of dawn new south swell that is basically walled but barrys seeing 20 second barrels :lol:
Big Tarantulas
I guess im saying that after this close call that I had I know im getting older and supposedly more wise :shock:
now im gonna watch barry at minus lowtide river jetties
and wait until the tide is a little higher :lol:
and use some of tips gleaned from this post next time im out and pulling in
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Great stuff, guys.

Yes, I always get hurt in small waves too. I think it's the lack of space to maneuver combined with lack of speed that always gets me "jammed." (Into bottom, lip, board, ect.)
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

I'm amazed there has been this much interest in this topic. When I first posted it I figured everybody would be thinking "hey this is just a kneeboard basic, how come you ain't got it down". I concur with the small wave thing, all of the head plant dings on the deck of my old fish came from working the inside at H.B. . Tom I was wondering, ( no need share if it's uncomforable ), did you hit your board or the bottom on that wave. Thank God you came out ok.

Thanks , Robert
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Same here Ed, all my injuries were in very small waves in shallow water. Getting rolled with the board in a tight space is a bad recipe.
Never leave well enough alone.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Watch....and watch again.

Some of the best in the world performing various techniques.
We all might just learn something from them. :wink:

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/prim ... -one_57636 :shock: 8) :shock:
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Bud, that was some incredible barrel riding on gigantic and perfect Cloud Break :!:
tomway

Post by tomway »

Agreed. That was some of the best tube riding in big surf I've seen i think :shock:

In terms of losing it in the barrel, that SUP rider wasn't really a great model of success :lol: :lol:
jamie

Post by jamie »

High line tube riding, not easy!!
I was mind surfing some of them, but no where near as deep or committed.
Jamie