tube ride bailouts

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bud »

Tom,
The SUP rider was my good friend Garrett McNamarra.
I agree that the board was being forced into a situation beyond its design parameters. Then again, maybe some giant of a madman surfer, would have been fine with it.

Jamie,
Yea, mind surfing them was inevitable.
I found it absolutely mesmerizing.
I watched it at least 6 times (and will again) studying every ride scrutinizing board performance.
What stands out in this, as apposed to scenes from Teahupoo, is that the riders often had to adjust their lines of attack and pump turns in the barrel for continued momentum.
Sometimes that wasn't enough.
Even the tow board guys suffered cavitation as the wave surged and bulged along the latter part of some rides.
The power was obvious and astounding to witness.
:shock: 8) :shock:
The "in the barrel" wipeouts showed a lot of variation on how to deal with it and how one is often unable to control the situation.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

the SUP got it fricken handed to him :lol: he slid headfirst into the axe :shock:
i'm not sure any of those wipeouts showed any premeditated escape technique and i dont think any of them penetrated out the back and escaped a thrashing. i'm not sure anything would do you any good if you lost it in the maw of a 15'+ grinding barrel. maybe just the ability to hold your breath for a very, very long time. i wonder what the ride in to the inside reef and lagoon was like? :lol: spectacular surf 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jdc »

tubes snnuubes

they guy who tried the reo at 52 seconds had me on repeat playback 8)

i think the orange longboard made it onto Magic Seaweeds photo of the day a few days back
i like surfing
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Good analysis Bud, I was shocked how hard they had to work-it to stay ahead of disaster.
That SUP wipe-out was just pure hideous ; looked like the inside edge of the lip ( and very nearly the board ) hit him right in the face, makes me want to curl into a fetal position everytime I watch it.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Smokin Rock wrote: maybe just the ability to hold your breath for a very, very long time.
Watching that footage I had to remember to breath :shock:
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

I've surfed those breaks but nowhere near that size, the power in fiji is equal to anywhere in the world, when it gets over 8' any board you have that you think will handle it no worries will more than likely pull up short. You need rhino chasers with thickness to get into the bastards, as usually there is a howling trade wind,because fiji only gets these swells through winter. Constant stiff s/easters blowing up the face. The hold downs are lung busting and the sets are continuous, well they seem like it anyway. Fuken awsome though
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

I know I've seen this before but now I know it is the same guy having a crack on three different craft. Can't make up my mind about this one.

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/grea ... mara_58799
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
RMcKnee

pump skip wallop ...

Post by RMcKnee »

Those are beautiful waves, but hell wipeouts. This Cloudbreak footage, like what we've seen from Teahupoo recently, shows the incredible power in big, fast-breaking hollow waves. The hydrodynamic energy in those things must be enormous. There's no way I can see you could escape an absolute flogging if you go down in the pit on one of those beasts. the most common problem that those guys faced was penetrating the water once they hit it: most of 'em were moving so fast they just skipped across the surface. Looks like Simon's theory of staying on no matter what might be the soundest, even if only for the possibility that you might actually make the wave in the end. For sure at big Cloudbreak diving off the board looks more likely to result in limb dislocations, busted ribs, whiplash, bruising, boardshort strippng, saltwater enemas and winding followed swiftly by a trip over the falls and into the reef. I think a large set of figs would help cushion the impact.
randiego

Post by randiego »

I'd recognize that footage anywhere. Huge glassy clean Cloudbreak, you usually don't see it like that :shock: :shock:

That guy going vert on the reo early on is a hero. Heck they're all heroes in my book, I love watching talented footboarders doing their thing! 8)

I'd say Garret M got it the worst. Not only did he get the axe it looked like the board and paddle were all in close proximity :P
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
bean57
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by bean57 »

i think on bigger waves you tend to slide away from your board quicker
because you tend to be moving faster, plus the lip takes that fraction longer
to pitch over....you can fall off on a small wave, have the board go over the falls and hit you in the nuts all in a fraction of second, ouch
randiego

Post by randiego »

Always love re-reading this post :P :P
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
southpeakbrad

Re: tube ride bailouts

Post by southpeakbrad »

..just wanted to bring this thread back to life given its popularity in the past, and how hard it was to find it.