carbon edge spoon vid - from Fantasea movie

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

airboy808
Local (More than 25 post)

carbon edge spoon vid - from Fantasea movie

Post by airboy808 »

GG riding one of his carbon edge spoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Cr5Br0r8M
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

That was cool and I had the same suit as GG. It's an O'neill Supersuit drysuit. You blow into that tube coming out of his chest to inflate it. I bought it for $40. at the swap meet, used it for SCUBA diving when I was 14 years old. 8)
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
airboy808

Post by airboy808 »

I know I saw that suit and thought wow super baggy on the 138lbs GG. Then saw that the sleeves and neck are tight and just the chest / back area is baggy.

Why blow air in it? to help with float or warmth?
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

A diver could blow it up for buoyancy. It was kinda complicated and dangerous. It was a nice one piece suit which was something new, everyone still had beaver tails. It also meant a diver could dive without a buoyancy compensator vest, which made things simpler, less lines and stuff in front of you. A diver could connect a hose from the SCUBA tank to the inflator to inflate the suit using the tank, or he could blow it up manually. If a diver inflated it underwater a tiny bit to compensate for sinking at depth, he had to be careful if he went head first at the bottom, for the air would travel to his feet and he could go up uncontrollably to the surface and get injured. I never wore the seals on the legs to avoid that problem, the air could escape if that happened.
The Supersuit was accepted by the Navy for use by UDT divers.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Scott

Post by Scott »

I hadn't seen this footage before of GG on his edgeboard, which is something different from his classic Velo spoon. He sensitivity in his rail use and weighting to gain lots of speed was so apparent in this video. It's so great seeing this clip of him surfing it in really high quality, fast waves.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!