Messy little video

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

hankj
Local (More than 25 post)

Messy little video

Post by hankj »

welp I learned some lessons from the first mouth-mount sesh with a GoPro. A) the lens is scratched up badly enough without getting wax all over it and letting water bead on it. Next time I'll mange these issues. B) The camera facing straight forward in the mirror at home looks slightly down in the water because even upright guys lean forward - will adjust next time. C) You can be in a legit barrel with just your nose poking out from the beach and w/ a GoPro it doesn't look like a barrel - you gotta get deeeeep or it looks like you're cruising the shoulder D) really best to shoot other people - best way to show what the surf was actually like. E) s*&^'s small on the GoPro - gotta play it back big to see anything or get really close up when shooting.

All that said here's where I surf 90% of the time on a clean shoulder to head high day. The Jetty was soft, up the beach hollower

https://vimeo.com/117530173
Kurt
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

GoPro Bites

Post by Kurt »

....Nice video!!!...that place looks sweet great lines and you bagged some great rides!!!....throwing slashes all over the place!!...Hats Off!!!

I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to when your trying to use a bite mount ...about drowned my first wiped out with the damn thing in my mouth and tn of water up my nose and down my throat....Freaking Doh..gotten a little better over time....I made a little bite mount that i can zip in my wet suit so i can go from board to bite and back to board pretty quick...

Your Wave are looking much better than mine...but here is a little vid i did a few months back.....

http://youtu.be/VHSL0qq_BOQ

your so right you got to be deep to get that barrel view
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Good to hear about your experience with the mouth holder for the GoPro, Kurt, as I've thought about getting one of those. I usually just mount my camera facing forward--I've found it should definitely tip up a bit to get the top of the wave; pointing it level ahead will not give a good view

As long as we're sharing GoPro videos, here's from just this last MLK Day in Santa Cruz. It's just two waves, my first wave and my last wave a few hours later as it was getting near sunset--thus the lighting change. Such a fun day, and the fast waves were a delight. BTW, I surfed this same spot this morning at DOH with just a few of us, and it was a bumpy challenge, but still fast!

http://youtu.be/qwlDZUkeVlQ
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

that does look cold! some nice looking waves.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Kurt

SC Kneelo's

Post by Kurt »

Hey Scott..

Thanks for taking look at silly video if you did ...always kool to say Howzit to a local fellow kneelo we're kinda a rare breed now...I got to get a few more GoPro clips so I can start using my bite mount again...and your right it's defo about getting the right tilted up angle...it's like magic when everything comes together right power on video running angle right and flipping water spots to a minimum...and Mother nature rolling a gift...I'm still looking for that super shot i'm super happy with...

Hey if you ever want to try to link up on some waves let me know...i'm usually down at the Hook or Sharks cove...looks like maybe you like the other side of Stockton Ave...but it's hard to tell from the video .... and nice Vid by the way...thanks for sharing!!!

PM me if you want to get some flippers in the water....

"Aloha"
hankj

Re: GoPro Bites

Post by hankj »

Kurt those waves look totally killer! Classic glassy Santa Cruz! And you've got a great smooth style.
Kurt wrote:....Nice video!!!...that place looks sweet great lines and you bagged some great rides!!!....throwing slashes all over the place!!...Hats Off!!!

I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to when your trying to use a bite mount ...about drowned my first wiped out with the damn thing in my mouth and tn of water up my nose and down my throat....Freaking Doh..gotten a little better over time....I made a little bite mount that i can zip in my wet suit so i can go from board to bite and back to board pretty quick...

Your Wave are looking much better than mine...but here is a little vid i did a few months back.....

http://youtu.be/VHSL0qq_BOQ

your so right you got to be deep to get that barrel view
hankj

Post by hankj »

ANd you're shredding too! So many maneuvers - making the most of that wave long wall. My calves would have cramped about 1/3 of the way through the first wave :). Looks pretty good sized too. Is that Steamer Lane?
Scott wrote:Good to hear about your experience with the mouth holder for the GoPro, Kurt, as I've thought about getting one of those. I usually just mount my camera facing forward--I've found it should definitely tip up a bit to get the top of the wave; pointing it level ahead will not give a good view

As long as we're sharing GoPro videos, here's from just this last MLK Day in Santa Cruz. It's just two waves, my first wave and my last wave a few hours later as it was getting near sunset--thus the lighting change. Such a fun day, and the fast waves were a delight. BTW, I surfed this same spot this morning at DOH with just a few of us, and it was a bumpy challenge, but still fast!

http://youtu.be/qwlDZUkeVlQ
Scott

Post by Scott »

It's north of the Lane a bit in the Mitchell's Cove area and it does feature some wide open speed walls that give the surfer a lot of options with rides about 200 yards on the bigger days.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Kurt

Thanks!!!

Post by Kurt »

Hey Hanjk

Thanks so Much for the kind words and the Kudos..and taking time to check silly video .....some other silly ones at my YouTube channel Kona Skyy
if you ever rain out and bored..lol

A big chop came in this over night and took our clean lines away...so it was One and Done for me today...but it was fun being out with my Hook mates ....
I hope it cleans up for tomorrow...

I think Scott is Surfing up near Stockton Ave...and yes those wave do look sizeable!!...Mitchell's cove can go off sometimes that's for damn sure!!....Stockton Ave to can be Barrel city!!

Shot us some new video from up north Seattle way....when you get a chance those waves looked really good!!!