Feedback on Now and Then .

This area is for posting short video clips.

Moderator: Moderator

hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

street appeal

Post by hart »

236 Harbord Road..

was first used to build surfboards for Gordon Woods in 1957.

Brookvale (the industrial heart of the Northern Beaches) once housed something like 13 MAJOR OZ manufacturers!

From 1960 to the mid-70's..If it was Australian, and serious..it would have been built in Brooky..

:D

[just like Wall Street for some others]

and there was a lot of our heritage in Harbord Road..

Clean and Natural, Friar Tuck, Kneeon, Aware Knees, McGrigor, Bennett, HB, Knormal , Suburban and Earthrise Kneeboards were all borne in the one street..Crozier's were even outscourced from Mona Vale at one stage..

8)

hart

..and some others,

still are

me hearty !

(that one's for you Dan aka Surfhorn..and U2 Damo)

welcome back to the fold..

:lol:
ross

Post by ross »

thanks bruce
all that talk about brookvale got me thinking.bought back some fond memories from my grommet days.
excursions to brookvale,
hanging around like a bad smell out the back of Bennets/Dion while the old man was buying blanks(even better when one was mine :) )
smelling resin(naughty i know).
i can remember a huge photo on the wall at Dion of Ricky Grigg at wiamea with Kimo Hollenger about to bail in front of 25 ft of whitewater.awesome

Barry Bennet giving me and some other bad smells a whole box of early 60's mint condition surfer mags(which i treasured for years till mum through them out,this included issue number 2 :evil: )
of course the odd excursion in winter would coincide with a viewing of maxing D'why point,nearly vomiting with horror at the madmen taking it on :shock: .i managed to get stuck in the rip and sucked out into ledging 6-8ft Dwhy point(age 8 on a foamie)being frozen to the spot watching these huge pits.

luckily rescued by a young kneeboarder who could see my fear 8) (he had a blue board with the southern cross on it.so if my rescuer is reading i'll buy you a beer one day.cause i'm old enough now :lol: )
thats enough walking through the park and reminiscing :)
who would have thought someone could get all misty eyed over an industrial suburb?