Carl Hayward

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)

Carl Hayward

Post by Ler »

Today the Surfing world lost a great one. Carl Hayward. He died surfing Southside of Huntington Peir. I don't know full details, but was pulled out of water face down and never came to. Carl was a very close friend and has helped me in many many areas in my life. I'm very grateful to the man. Carl has also helped the KSUSA too. He has donated so much Hurley product to our contest raffles and prizes. Carl was always stoked to help us kneelo's out. I would keep him posted of all the contests and gatherings. His brother Scott Hayward is a kneeboarder and did really well in Santa Cruz. My prayers our with the Hayward family. Carl died during something loved at a spot he once ruled. I will truley miss him. R.I.P

Mike Butler
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

i surfed on Carls boards in the early to mid eighties before i moved to Hawaii. he was one of those truly down to earth guys that would explain everything and answer any question with a sincerity that spoke volumes about his love for surfing and surfboard manufacture. he would actually give us shaping appointments where we would be there as he shaped our boards to explain every detail and give a very personal experience to the birth of our new board. the first wave i rode in the islands was on a Carl Hayward. also a very underated and unsung shaper who was intimate with fish designs. he was one of the coolest guys you's ever want to meet and i'm deeply saddened by his passing. Huntington and the surf world is a lesser place without Carl. it sounds like he died doing what he loved to do......surf. my condolences to his family.
mike, i'm glad i got a chance for you to send him a howzit from me a year or so ago.
aloha Carl.....RIP
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head

Post by Guest »

I just heard David Nuuhiwa passed away today also. A truly sad day for the surfing community and especially for Huntington beach.
barry

Carl

Post by barry »

Wow, what a shocker :cry:
Carl will be very missed. He was an inspirational person.
I just shared waves with his brother Scott yesterday.
My heart goes out to the Hayward family.
Aloha and Peace to them all.
Barry
DarcyM

My condolences

Post by DarcyM »

How so very sad. Carl was a legend.

I didn't know Carl, but I met Scott for the first time at Santa Cruz this year. Scott was one of my camping mates at New Brighton. I didn't know who he was but with the last name and the board I had to ask. Scott had some great tales to tell about him and his brother and kneeriding back in the day in HB. It was very cool and you could tell that he had great love for his brother. I remember being awestruck by the Huntington & Newport kneeriders when I was going thru the nssa ranks. Those guys ruled it and killed it every time. A lot of them rode Hayward's, too.

My condolences to the Hayward family.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Steven Lewis
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

SAD A GREAT LOSS

Post by Steven Lewis »

Wow I was just talking about carl today with john from biohazard and what great guy carl was and how carl always took care of me with my surfing needs and everyone else that surfed for him great man carl will be missed, My condonlences to the hayward family
hart

respect

Post by hart »

Anonymous wrote:
I just heard David Nuuhiwa passed away today also.
I have known of both men..truly sad for surfing.

kind regards and condolences from Sydney

hart

no man is an island

donne
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Man...........

I am so sorry for their familes and for the surfing community. I've always held Carl Hayward's work in high esteem.

And, if the Nuuhiwa story is correct, I'm again totaly bummed. I was a team rider with David for a time during the early 1970's when we rode for a surfboard manufacturer named Full Force along with Mike Armstrong and Greg Lohr. I was the token kneeboarder but I used to standup on David's little triple stringer shortboards. He surfed like a cat and was a joy to watch.

Plus I've just heard rumor of one of my oldest surfing partners passing away a couple days ago.......no confirmation yet.

This is truly a sad day.
kbing since plywood days

Post by Guest »

It is David Sr. that passed away not David Jr.. Sorry, for confusion but still a great loss.Hewas a legend in the surf community .
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

kbing since plywood days
pdoyle

CARL HAYWARD

Post by pdoyle »

I was shocked to hear the grim news of this great mans passing. He was always turning out a great board and when I was learning to kneeride, he would give waves to me on the south side of HB pier.
This local industry and all that were fortunate to come in contact with him
will truly miss him. My heart goes out to his family,
PAUL DOYLE
Joe Knoernschild

Carl Hayward

Post by Joe Knoernschild »

Carl was one of my best friends. Aside from being a great shaper and surfer; he was person of intregrity; always had time to listen and lend a hand; a family man who loved Jesus - in short - he walked the talk in all aspects of his life. I miss him terribly already.............. men like Carl Hayward do not come around in one's life very often. Glad I got to know him and work along side of him for the many years.
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

My deepest condolence to the entire Hayward family. Wayne
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

So sad to hear this news. I was truly stoked to meet Scott in Santa Cruz last November and to catch up on what Carl was doing. I didn't really know Carl but he shaped one of my best boards ever in 1982. For sure, he was one of the top shapers at that time. My prayers are with Scott and all of Carl's family and friends.

I posted some photos of my board that Carl made in the boards section so you all can see the quality of Carl's work. Also, in the general surf section a shot of me to show that they really did work!
-Brad