Carl Hayward

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

twinfinfish
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: CARL HAYWARD

Post by twinfinfish »

pdoyle wrote:I was shocked to hear the grim news of this great mans passing. He was always turning out a great board and when I was learning to kneeride, he would give waves to me on the south side of HB pier.
This local industry and all that were fortunate to come in contact with him
will truly miss him. My heart goes out to his family,
PAUL DOYLE
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Our deepest condolences to the Haywards. Best wishes, Scott. Hope to surf with you soon.

Carl Hayward

Post by Guest »

All of your memories of Carl are so wonderful to read. Carl has touched so many lives. A memorial website has been created at members.cox.net/haywardmemorial. If you would like to have your memories added to that site you can email them to haywardmemorial@cox.net. There is also information about memorial services listed on the site.
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

My condolences to the Hayward family and all those who knew Carl. I didn't know him, but what everyone has shared here has done a good job of making any reader wish they did know him.
mutiny
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by mutiny »

My condolences to scott and his family, carl was a genuinely kind person, a reflection of the Hayward families integrity and honesty. When I think of all the people carl has helped to enjoy the ocean on his handcrafted boards, I'm in awe, Just one aspect of his legacy as a human being. For 25 years he's made the time to shape a twin fin for me, now, the more I think about carl and his gift as a craftsman, I wish I told him how grateful I was. I'll thank him everytime I paddle out.
When I started surfing the pier regularly, late 70's, carl and dwight gave me a kneeboard or two to help me out, not only was I a new guy around but I was kneeboarder! In my opinion carl shaped the greatest twin fins around, I will always be in debt to carl and dwight for their kindness. Years later, when I needed a job and carl was working at Billabong/Hurley, carl hired me, again, his compassion and kindness, overwelming.
We have lost a wonderful human being.
tom backer
goat_cheeser
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by goat_cheeser »

Sad news :( .

I was part of the Huntington kneeboard crowd that hung out at Tower 16 in the late 70s & early 80s. We enjoyed hanging out in the shop. I still enjoy riding one of his quads that I bought during the riots.

My condolences to the Hayward family.

Peace be with him,
Jamie
Steven Lewis
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

MEMO ON SURFLINE

Post by Steven Lewis »

A Memorial paddle-out for Carl Hayward will be on sunday, January 30th, At 11:00am on the south side of Huntington beach pier, It's here where carl loved to surf, It's here where his life ended, Knowing that Carl had a relationship with christ Carl's life has only just began.
Last edited by Steven Lewis on Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Lewis

MEMORIAL PADDLE-OUT JAN 30TH 2005

Post by Steven Lewis »

Great turn out for Carl Hayward he will be missed, Thank you for the time you gave me carl and the great memories, I will never forget you, Steve Lewis Team rider 1980-1981. R.I.P
Ler

Carl Hayward

Post by Ler »

Carl's brother Scott Hayward has shape a killer kneeboard from one of Carl's templates. It came out so good. I thought Carl shaped it. Carl's gone, but not his legacy and memeroies.

Ler
SMc

Post by SMc »

So sad to hear. :(
Carl was the first to help me shape a board; back in '80. I was living in HB, running Sunline surfshop and he had his shop next door. He let me use his room and tools and I went to town. It came out a little thin, with very sharp rails, but it surfed!
I remember him as a very nice friend, good surfer/shaper and business man. It is people like him that make the surfing comunity better.
Sean