Dale Velzy

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

TC
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Dale Velzy

Post by TC »

I just heard on NPR that Dale Velzy passed away at age of 77. Dale, was one of the greats and a pioneer of all surfing, his presence will be missed. A traditional paddle out ceremony is being planed for So Cal. Yahoo new has a nice story on Dale. Cheers TC.
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Dale Velzy

Post by doc »

TC wrote:I just heard on NPR that Dale Velzy passed away at age of 77. Dale, was one of the greats and a pioneer of all surfing, his presence will be missed. A traditional paddle out ceremony is being planed for So Cal. Yahoo new has a nice story on Dale. Cheers TC.
I sold velzy surfboards for a couple of years, maybe four years back. Old school, old style, 1965 shape boards with a Velzy sticker, and I was given to understand that the majority of his production was wall hanger boards, a board with a sticker meant to be put on a wall. Like I said, a couple of years, cos that was what it took to unload them.

The guy who owns the shop I run will do improbable things to have old-style stuff. He goes all goofy when he sees such stuff. Show him new-production and equally bad Noll Cat shapes and I'll have to peddle those to the masses next year. Hope that doesn't happen.

Wasn't impressed. 1965 boards except for the ones that were ghost shaped, and yes, some of that shipment was. Cashing in on the name, for top dollar.

I'm sorry the guy died and all, but that era came and went. Was there for it, and moved with the times.

doc...
wino

Post by wino »

Doc, the difference was that you were there for the era. Dale Velzy created the era.
Read up on him and you may change your opinion. He was a charactor and is now a legend. R.I.P. Dale Velzy
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

i only know a little bit about the man. he was one of those early North shore guys who surfed unknown spots before they were named. it took balls and a lot of desire back then to go to Hawaii with a longboard and surf what was then out in the middle of nowhere.
we've all made questionable business decisions.
how many of us lived and had adventures like he did?
how many of us have a epic world class reef named after us?
Dale Velzy is a surf legend. my sincere condolences to his family and friends.
R.I.P.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head