Original Wateman DAVE DEVINE RIP

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Original Wateman DAVE DEVINE RIP

Post by surfhorn »

Surfing Pioneer and Father of Two Outstanding Kneeboarders:

David D. Devine

Services will be Saturday for David D. Devine of Aptos, who died April 2. He was 77.

A native of San Francisco, Mr. Devine lived in the area for 50 years.

He was a retired physical education teacher and swim coach who worked at Watsonville and Aptos high schools.

During the 1960s, Mr. Devine led several of Watsonville High's swim teams to championship-winning seasons. He was a lifelong football enthusiast and a fan of the San Francisco Giants.

Mr. Devine is survived by sons Jeffrey "J.D" Devine of Aptos and Daniel Devine of Hawaii; daughters Kim Devine of San Francisco and April Wolcott of Oregon; brother John Devine; sister Joyce Devine; and five grandchildren.

Services will be 1 p.m. Saturday at The Hook at Pleasure Point, 41st Avenue at East Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz.

Hi, Everyone:

Dave was one of the pioneers of Santa Cruz surfing. He was a member of that 1950's group who moved from SF to surf a very uncrowded Pleasure Point (along with the Van Dykes, Gallaghers, etc).

Dave was my swim coach at Watsonville High (1976-69) so I really respected the man. One telling factor of the man's humor is that for one years' Swim Team photo for the year book, the team walked 2 blocks from WHS to the Police Station and had the picture taken through the bars of a jail cell. This was before Aptos High was built and the swim team members were the original bunch called 'Rio Rats'.

This was back in the day (pre leash) where not everybody surfed. Most surfers were comp swimmers and lifeguards.......the original watermen.

And Dave's children were no different: Dan & Jeff started out as kneeboarders, Dan becoming an internationally known surf photog and Jeff a rock solid shaper.

There is deep history here.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
Mark Ramirez

Dave Devine RIP

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Surfhorn, I'm so sorry to here about Dave Devine passing away. Boy it seems like we are losing alot of really great people in the surfing community. My best wishes goes out to his Family and friends. :cry:
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

a true legend
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
JohnS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JohnS »

Last edited by JohnS on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

nature or nuture?

Post by Paul »

What can be said of a man I've never met? His name spurs my soul...Devine. I can guess that he is neither the "photo: Devine." that churns my brain cells nor Eddie the Eagle, conquistador kneeboarder of Mavricks and high school math teacher of Aptos. My guess is that he was a man who lived a full life doing what it is that makes us jealous of the ones at rest: If he was a kneeboarder who searched for something unique, something against the tide, that put him down close, face to face and nose to nose to what it is to be primitive, to be human.

I'm jealous of his life, envious of his rest. He was a teacher, so I know he committed himself to making the world a better place than the one he entered.

I wish I had met you.

Paul ( aka: tex)
surfhorn

Santa Cruz Sentinel Article on Dave Devine

Post by surfhorn »

I'll write later a bit about the paddle out tribute yesterday. - Dan
April 15, 2007

In the Water: Surfer Devine was an icon of a sweeter time

It wasn't hard to find Dave Devine.

The Santa Cruz surfer, legendary among an old-line community of local wave riders, was always sitting on a bench at Pleasure Point, watching the surf.

"With a cigarette in his hand, a cigarette and a cup of coffee," said friend Jack Roddy, 70, of Scotts Valley. "It was classic. He really was Mr. Pleasure Point"

Devine died April 2. He was 77.

Friends recalled Devine as a fixture of Pleasure Point, a fantastic surfer, a true waterman of the old style, a good friend, an athlete, an occasional grouch and a real character.

He won the Northern California Surfing Championships in the late 1950s, and he and his friends were some of the first to take surf junkets up and down the California coast.

A native of San Francisco, Devine was part of a group that moved down to Santa Cruz in the early '50s to surf uncrowded Pleasure Point, as well as Cowell's and Steamer Lane, well before such luxuries as leashes and wetsuits were available.

Among the crew he was surfing with were names like Alonzo Wiemers, Peter Cole and Fred and Gene Van Dyke.
Advertisement

"I started surfing in '52 or '53, and he was one of the first people I met," said longtime local Betty Van Dyke, 74, of Pleasure Point.

He tried to surf every day without fail, said Van Dyke and others.

The Devine house in Pleasure Point was kind of a meeting place, said Van Dyke, and the tight-knit surfing community would get together for barbecues. Sometimes, they'd sleep along the cliffs where Jack O'Neill's house is now, said Van Dyke.

Devine lived in the area for 50 years. He was a retired P.E. teacher and swim coach who worked at Watsonville and Aptos high schools.

During the 1960s, he led several of Watsonville High's swim teams to championship-winning seasons. He was a lifelong football enthusiast and a fan of the San Francisco Giants. In the summers, he worked for O'Neill as a salesman.

Some of his high school swimming students nicknamed him "Shark," according to local kneeboarder Dan Young, who swam under Devine at Watsonville High.

When Young and his best friend, Roger Collins, were freshmen on the swim team, a senior told Roger that Coach Devine liked to be called "Shark," according to Young.

"So Roger went up and said, 'Hi, Shark,'" said Young. "Dave about chewed his head off. Needless to say, the older swimmers were rolling on the deck, laughing their butts off"

The name "Sharky" stuck, but Devine disliked the moniker, said his son, Jeff "JD" Devine, 49, of Aptos.

No one could get away with much around Devine, said JD.

"He was definitely quiet and very wise," said JD, whose nickname for his dad was "Big D" "You could never pull the wool over his eyes. He always knew"

JD, who's built surfboards for the past 37 years, started to get into surfing at about age 12. Devine taught him to finish a surfboard.

"He taught me a couple trade secrets," said JD. "That was the first board I made, and it turned out great. I turned it in for some money and bought some more stuff, and I was on my way. He took the time to help me out"

In March 1997, Devine suffered a devastating stroke.

"It paralyzed him on the right side, and he had a speech impediment where he couldn't get the message out, though he was cognitive," said JD, who brought Devine into his family's home and cared for him the rest of his life.

Devine walked the first year with a cane, but then lost the ability and was in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

Watching his father struggle was tough, especially because he was an athletic man, said JD. But, he said, "I've been very honored to do that"

Though Devine wasn't riding waves the last years of his life, old timers remember him fondly for the legacy he established.

"He surfed more waves in Santa Cruz than anybody," said Rich Novak, a Santa Cruz native, veteran local surfer and owner of NHS Inc., parent company of Santa Cruz Surfboards. "He surfed almost daily 'til just before his stroke"

Devine's faithfulness to the waves made him memorable, said friends and family.

"He surfed loyally until the end," said friend Dave McGuire, 78, of Santa Cruz. "We all loved him. He was really a good guy"

Here's hoping Devine's in a better place, in a good spot on a bench in the sunshine, watching endless rows of perfect sets march slowly toward the coastline.

Send surf items to Gwen Mickelson at gmickelson@santacruzsentinel.com.
kbing since plywood days