Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

George Greenough
38%
Steve Lis
12%
Peter Crawford
15%
John Mel
4%
David Parkes
31%

Total votes: 52

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Apologies if I left anyone out.
Sorry Simon, you have done a great deal IMHO, but alas, you are too young! :D :wink:
You too Don :wink:
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
wino
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by wino »

From a strictly San Diego view point it would be Mitch of Mitch's Surfshop. Mitch's is where Lis, Toby, etc... got the supplies to make the boards we all started on. If you needed to get in touch with one of those guys you went to Mitch's and they'd track them down.

Mitch has soul 8)
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

my vote goes to Simon 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
stemple

Post by stemple »

I would have to say Don Harris for the modern day advancement. Think about the radical changes that have occurred in the community in the last three years because of this website. Maybe sometimes advancement does not mean board design or progressive surfing but widening the world wide communication network. just a thought
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

wino wrote:From a strictly San Diego view point it would be Mitch of Mitch's Surfshop. Mitch's is where Lis, Toby, etc... got the supplies to make the boards we all started on. If you needed to get in touch with one of those guys you went to Mitch's and they'd track them down.

Mitch has soul 8)

gotta agree with the Wino Man, Mitch was the man. But if you're gonna mention Mitch's, you might as well throw Select Surf Shop in there too. At least as far as San Diego goes...but isn't SD generally accepted as the cradle of kneeboarding?

Geez, that list is a good one though. It would be impossible to pick just one, all of 'em have made incredible contributions not just to kneeboarding but the entire sport of waveriding. Guys like Greenough made contributions on a more global level, arguably.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

stemple wrote:I would have to say Don Harris for the modern day advancement. Think about the radical changes that have occurred in the community in the last three years because of this website. Maybe sometimes advancement does not mean board design or progressive surfing but widening the world wide communication network. just a thought
Hi Stemp, Scottmac. I agree with you Stemple, more ways to have influence and contribute than just being a visionary boardbuilder, competitor, or other.
I thought about Don, he is mentioned in my first post along with Simon (Sparrow) as being too young :lol:
I did think of him and this website, my only concern is that there isn't someone with equal status that should go down in history with him and the birth of this website that I don't know about.
This site is huge, but it's only three years old I think.
How long does it take for a person to go down in history? How long does it take to be a legend, I thought about these things.
Longetivity is a part of the formula.
If there is enough consensus, I could add both of them to the poll. :D I am not the the last word in this. I just had this idea pop into my head since we were having a great historical conversation about fish, and twin fins.
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

kidrock wrote:
wino wrote:From a strictly San Diego view point it would be Mitch of Mitch's Surfshop. Mitch's is where Lis, Toby, etc... got the supplies to make the boards we all started on. If you needed to get in touch with one of those guys you went to Mitch's and they'd track them down.

Mitch has soul 8)

gotta agree with the Wino Man, Mitch was the man. But if you're gonna mention Mitch's, you might as well throw Select Surf Shop in there too. At least as far as San Diego goes...but isn't SD generally accepted as the cradle of kneeboarding?

Geez, that list is a good one though. It would be impossible to pick just one, all of 'em have made incredible contributions not just to kneeboarding but the entire sport of waveriding. Guys like Greenough made contributions on a more global level, arguably.
Hmmm, I am not sure how a person who sells supplies fits into the contributions of kneeboarding. Maybe it's just me :roll:
Kid, I tried to make the list tough :lol:
I am trying to be the impartial observer here, but I would say Lis also made a global contribution with the Fish. But we should stick to kneeboarding since that is who we are.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albert

Post by albert »

I cant believe no one has mentioned RW and his discovery of the 'autopilot button'!
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

albert...thats funny :lol:

if you look at longevity, advancement and dedication, involvement at a world level, committement to surfing solid surf etc

and most importantly kneeboarding being your lifestyle

that makes this poll easy............... DP 8)
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
K-man

Post by K-man »

Who has done more for the advancement of KBing?I assume we're talking about the big picture,getting the word out to the worldwide surfing community.

KSUSA
Simon Farrer Australia
Kneeboard Surfing Australia
Sydney Kneeboard Club
Kneeboard Surfing UK
Kneeboard Surfing New Zealand
Kneeboading Japan -
Flex Spoon Forum

Prior to KSUSA site I never knew there was anything else,and that was an

introduction to a worldwide community and;an inspiration.... 8)

cheers and a big mahalo!

Breaking it down further to various regions,characters,designers,is a whole ''nother'' ball game.And fraught with bruised egos,tantrums,and various mental affilications..... :lol:
wino

Post by wino »

Mike Fernandez wrote:
kidrock wrote:

Mitch has soul 8)

Hmmm, I am not sure how a person who sells supplies fits into the contributions of kneeboarding. Maybe it's just me :roll:
Kid, I tried to make the list tough :lol:
I am trying to be the impartial observer here, but I would say Lis also made a global contribution with the Fish. But we should stick to kneeboarding since that is who we are.
Mike, if was not for Mitch having a ready source of blanks, glass, resin, etc... for the San Diego guys on your list, kneeboarding and overall surfboard design would not have advanced like it did in our region. If you asked me who was most important person in the advancement of surfing and surfboard design I would have said Mitch as well.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

This is easy.. David Parkes and Simon Farrer (needs to be on that list of yours mike)
jamie

Post by jamie »

Planners and funky hats
Makita

Materials
Barry Bennett and general tutor to hart
Midget farrelly

Boards
Peter Ware - friar tuck founder tutor to parkes, ponsford et al
Chris Crozier -slabs and tutor to Hart
Terry fitzgerald - tutor to whiteman, hart
Tom tyrell and matt ryan -tutors to Neil Luke

Surfing
Greenough see history of surfing
PC before my time but hart always raved about him and so did my bible growing up - Surfing World magazine
Dave parkes surfing 1 foot to 15 ft - all high performance stuff on his own boards that he shares with everyone
Ken Horton drew the original lines that Farrer has taken up multiple levels
Novakov new school 10 years before Slater and machado and did a tooheys(see budweiser in the US) ad on prime time TV
Farrer see his own movies and his own website
Gigs Celliers surfing and commentary at world kneelo titles - 1st class pro.

bringing guys together
Ken Stapleton
Don Harris
Jamie