Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

George Greenough
38%
Steve Lis
12%
Peter Crawford
15%
John Mel
4%
David Parkes
31%

Total votes: 52

Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

cool words Jamie 8)
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

Despite their young ages I think that Simon and Don have contributed more to kneebarding then Lis, Mel and Crawford combined. My list is as follows in order of importance:

1. Greenough- because he invented everything
2. Simon- because his surfing showed us all what the modern possiblities were and his movies exposed all of us to those possiblities
3. Don- because his vision created this website, the KSUSA and singlehandedly restored kneeriding in its birthplace, California. He created a forum for communication. Also, he rips and is so hard core its scary.
4. Parkes- because he is a surf god
5. Lis, Crawford- because they exposed the mainstream to kneeboarding back in the 70's

Others not to be forgotten include Novakov, Gigs, Fred Peterson, Bud McCray, the bros at Aussie pipe, Rex Hoffman
7. Mel- for keeping the spriit alive all these years and for ripping at 60+
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

6) T.Fitzgerald _ :arrow: Artis, Whiteman+ Parkes, Hart
7) Early OZ/US media coverage: PC, Ware, Artis, Simon Chipper et al and that kneelo who used to travel for Surfer Mag (Surfing Mag?) (Ken ?) etc
8)Ksusa
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Whew, I am afraid this poll is unravelling :lol: Thanks all for the comments. One thing to remember, if you contributed to kneeboarding as a whole, you should probably be known in our community around the world. Some of the regional dudes I never heard of, not to say their contributions weren't important.
So I agree with some of the things being said, and don't with others. But I must say I agree with some of what Tom Linn is saying, so I will forgo my longetivity principle, and with great enthusiasm include Simon and Don in the poll. :D :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Uh, seems I am not able to edit the poll anymore. :x Can one of the honcho's go in and add Don Harris and Simon Farrer? :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Sorry Mike. Though the post at top of this page was post numero uno

9)Tracks<>Albie Falzon>Crystal Voyager>George Greenough ;)
KenM

Post by KenM »

Mike, I think it's only natural that there are regional elements in the responses. Someone in Dee Why isn't likely to have been strongly influenced by Steve Lis nor the San Diego crew by Peter Crawford. We are all partial to those who had the most direct impact on ourselves. I'm curious however, how many of us would even be kneeriders if it weren't for the influence directly or indirectly of George Greenough.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

True Ken. I was trying to keep the influencials truely world wide.
As you guys know, we in HB had our own regional stars, Carl Hayward, Dean Cleary, Fred Peterson, etc... But I am not sure if they were known in OZ, or SA for example. In my own little world, I started on a Jacobs log, which I wish I still owned, I could be rich :lol: Then somehow I went to a pink rope handled homemade kneeboard and had a great time because of the greater sense of speed from being so low. I didn't know GG, or anyone for that matter, all I knew was there were kneeboards also.
After meeting other kneelos like Mutiny, we learned through Tracks of Ken Horton, David Parkes, Steve Artis, Peter Ware, Crawford. I heard of those guys even before Lis. :shock:
I don't think you can have a worldwide poll, like this site provides, asking who had the MOST influence in the WORLD, and get an answer based on regional choices. There are so many fiefdoms. Lis brokeout from his region and became know outside the region by making a huge contribution to kneeboard shape. Notice I didn't say surfboard. I want to be strictly kneeboard.
Just from pictures, David Parkes, and Fred Peterson had a huge influence on me because of the way they surfed. And from pictures I knew I didn't want to surf like GG or Lis, but that is just me. :shock: OK, I am ducking over here from the flying tomatoes :lol:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
MWROBERTSON

most

Post by MWROBERTSON »

What about Neil Luke you dorks? :lol:
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I'll have to reiterate my apologies as I posted in the first link :x Of course I remember Neil Luke, and I have his board right now, must be my age :oops:
I have actually been studying it lately, noticed the tail curves up behind the fins, has some V in the tail, and of course the channels. I have had channels and V before, even asked for them in my past shapes, but the tail is intriguing. Another fine example of adaptation/advancement/refinement.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
MWROBERTSON

most

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Keep in mind what Neil Luke has done with the Phillip Island Contest. I'm sure all the Aussies can attest to the level of commitment he has had to this event.

He is still shaping great boards and keeping the stoke alive. You can see it in his face.
griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

From a west coast perspective all influence was derived from the east coast through as jamie put it the bibles Surfing World and Tracks,and a large amount of those photos and articles were by P.C.Slabs didn't really cut it in south west juice so therefore mine and a lot of other mates shifted our focus to more refined bords that did, such as those being carved out by Steve Artis.Now correct me if I'm wrong ,but can,t the round tails being ridden by the vast majority thesedays be atributed to his early influence.I can;t help but feel that his name should be wedged in there somewhere, justifiably,amongst royalty.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

"...singlehandedly restored kneeriding..."
From where I sit (kneel), kneeboarding never went away.

The creation the KSUSA site was a great thing which brought one of largest segments of surfing indivdualists together in a club format.......but its something that the other forms of surfing did a long time ago. And restarting contests isn't that historic.

But don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy participating on the KSUSA site. It gives me a release from my daily grind where I can revel in one of the things in life I truly enjoy: kneeboarding.

I voted for my friend John Mel because he is one of the few true pioneers of kneeboard design who has continued his craft nonstop since the 1960's.
John has never looked for fame nor glory, his only motivation being to make customized boards that fit the needs of his friends and customers.

And that was driven only by his desire to share good waves with his friends.
Last edited by surfhorn on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbing since plywood days
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

What about Peter Berry....Australian kneelo pioneer..shaping flextails kneelo's in the sixties.....bit of info on him in this months tracks as inspiration to todays australian leading retro shaper bushrat surfboards :?:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Well, seems like the poll part of this thread was a fiasco :lol: But this thread is bringing to the forefront people who should be recognized.
I never knew somethings you guys are talking about.
Sorry Steen, Mr. Berry is right out of left field for me. Maybe you could expand on his history? :wink:

Rocky Point/Black Rock