Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

George Greenough
38%
Steve Lis
12%
Peter Crawford
15%
John Mel
4%
David Parkes
31%

Total votes: 52

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

[albumimg]11209[/albumimg]

[albumimg]11219[/albumimg]

[albumimg]11254[/albumimg]

there are tons more but you all get the picture
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Albert what are the chances I can try one of those when I come over in March? :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Dr. Bronner
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Dr. Bronner »

Advanced?? Really? You mean our average age?
Bryan Jackson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bryan Jackson »

If it was from a purely personal perspective (and isn't that, not contests or films or marketing, etc., what kneeboarding is supposed to be about?) it would have to be George Greenough because the person who introduced me to kneeboarding started kneeboarding himself due to Greenough's influence. Of course Steve Lis as well because I am a firm believer in the Fish design as being the most progressive and influential of all kneeboard designs ever!.

And why isn't Alan "Bud" McCray on that list? Seems to me he has done as much as anyone else on that list when it comes to advancing the sport and art of kneeriding, both from a general promotion and a board buidling design aspect. I have a blast on my Blast and it has never failed me in the most gnarly of barrels. What I learned from his former web site was invaluable.

And while we're at it, why isn't this site renamed Kneeboard Surfing Internation (KSI)? I mean every other post is about Australian this and South African that. Sparrow this and Sparrow that...

Not being xenophobic, just asking. Seems like it would be a more appropriate title.

Cheers. :wink:
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Before this goes on any further, Just keep me out of this please.
Have i done something for our sport :?:
The answer is YES :!:
Do I want to be judged on who has done the most :?:
The answer is NO :!:
red

Post by red »

no cross indexing intended with Simon's post - his credentials are impeccable.

This is just a sentiment that I think applies in our small community:

The question for all of us is not what kneeboarding can do for us, but what we can do for kneeboarding (and fellow kbers!)
(With no apologies at all to JFK - he didn't kneeboard!)

I think the prevailing sentiment on this site supports this. Don't make it a race, Mike - leave it for posthumous accolades.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

maybe in these times there is no answer, and it should be

"everyone one of us, committed to the sport we love"

if was not for all of US weird eccentric freaks on our knees, there would be no advancement

spot on red
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

maybe in these times there is no answer, and it should be

"everyone one of us, committed to the sport we love"

if was not for all of us weird eccentric freaks on our knees, there would be no advancement

spot on red
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
john -

Post by john - »

Steeno wrote: weird eccentric freaks
i thnk this take on kneelos needs to be revised as, you in particular Steen, seem to be sound and reasonable (in general). Weird and freaks best describes people who follow consumer oriantated fashion and regularities blindly and have no individual soul...like those who live in gated communities.

Kneeboarding is not footsurfing or bellyriding...its a bit a both...so perhaps were just better balanced :idea:

I think the internet has done the most for kneeboarding over the last five or so years...even if your pissed at something or someone or the opposite...(in kneelo world)...or just want to share...its the internet via all kneelo sites that offers communication and ideas
merely labled
stevea

who has contributed most to advancement of kneeboard surfing

Post by stevea »

I have enjoyed this post ,but been reluctant to express my personal opinion as they change relative to the view or emphasis i put on any particular aspect of contribution but i have decided to get off the fence and go for the one surfer who i feel made the greatest contribution overall to kneeboard surfing in Australia last century whose influence has inspired the current contenders to the levels of excellence they have achieved or are achieving
That surfer is Peter Crawford
George Greenough unlocked the door P C opened it
Parkes
Nov
Simon
ETC ETC ETC ARE IN THE ROOM
Sorry about the Australian perspective but my knowledge is limited
P S Peter passed away in Bali December 1999 he was here to photogragh the first sunrise of the new millenium unfortunately he was bitten by a snake and died a couple days later of complications ,one day his full story may be told lets hope so
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Hey steve,
the whole snakebite thing is a bit sketchy............
hopefully the whole story does come out,but you may all ready have a good Idea?.......
Totally agree with your thoughts though
I'm interested in apathy
K-man

Post by K-man »

WED oct 31........My words

Breaking it down further to various regions,characters,designers,is a whole ''nother'' ball game.And fraught with bruised egos,tantrums,and various mental afflictions..... :lol:

Both sides of the pond have added something to how/.what we surf. As KBers,we have a rich history,and knowing about folks who have put their heart and soul into what they do is an inspiration. I'd really like to see this thread go to another place.How and ''when'' did these influnces meld and shape calif boards.Why here?I live here...... :wink:

cheers
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

See, Mike? Its like trying to herd cats. lol
kbing since plywood days
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

red wrote:no cross indexing intended with Simon's post - his credentials are impeccable.

This is just a sentiment that I think applies in our small community:

The question for all of us is not what kneeboarding can do for us, but what we can do for kneeboarding (and fellow kbers!)
(With no apologies at all to JFK - he didn't kneeboard!)

I think the prevailing sentiment on this site supports this. Don't make it a race, Mike - leave it for posthumous accolades.
He, he, he...

I was thinking it should be posthumous because many of us will have to continue to live with these legends! :wink:

BTW, Mike, you forgot Ler!

Anyhow, what happened to using 'Total # Posts' for figuring out Legend status? :wink: :roll:

Seriously, what would be nice are bios that expand on the contributions. The PC story would be really interesting. And, agree on request for more P. Berry 411!

It could be just in time for the 32nd-or-so anniversary of Roots! :roll:
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

surfhorn wrote:See, Mike? Its like trying to herd cats. lol
:lol: Laughing hard over here Surfhorn, your right, but now I have another idea! I am going to milk the history out of our characters ( it's an endearing term) one way or another if I have to use massive bandwith to do it :!: :shock: :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction