Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

George Greenough
38%
Steve Lis
12%
Peter Crawford
15%
John Mel
4%
David Parkes
31%

Total votes: 52

KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Mike I think that's a great idea.... I hope you get some surf soon. :lol: :wink:
----------------------
Shoulder huggin' chicken
randiego

Post by randiego »

Mike I like your new approach, although it took me a while to figure out what you were doing.

I feel a coffee-table book coming on... we need to document all the answers and histories! :shock:
PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by PaulN »

What about Romo? :lol:
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
Ler

Post by Ler »

I think the dude that rides the RJ's with no teeth should be on that list.

My vote is for Simon and Don
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

john - dorje wrote:
Steeno wrote: weird eccentric freaks
i thnk this take on kneelos needs to be revised as, you in particular Steen, seem to be sound and reasonable (in general). Weird and freaks best describes people who follow consumer oriantated fashion and regularities blindly and have no individual soul...like those who live in gated communities.
I dont particularly take any appreciation in you seeming to know me, and redirecting my opinion. In my beleif the majority of people will follow the major group of consumer orientated fashion models and form the opinion that the minority who dont follow are regarded as weird eccentric freaks, who dare to break away and form there own gated communities.

In my world " weird eccentric freak" is a compliment

read the positive into it John....not the negative...now there is an :idea:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

SteveA feel free to give us any perspective you have man :wink:

Not to get in the middle of anything here, but I have been called eccentric, I am kinda proud of that :lol:

Dorje, don't tell me you guys have gated communities too :shock: I thought we were the only country to have cowards that do that. I am against most bogus rules anyway, like no skateboarding in a park :roll: No flying the flag from your condo, no painting your house anything other than the three colors that the neighbors allow :roll:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
john -

Post by john - »

[quote="Steeno
I dont particularly take any appreciation in you seeming to know me
quote]

that could work both ways :idea:

last time we communicated Steen, it was on the topic of 'respect ' you seemed quite civil and then there was the time you offered the info on our trip into northern NSW.

So I assume you sour tatse at me making an observation about you after a few years of reading your posts...looking at your pics and so forth... means that all of this internet stuff is really not worth it unless you meet someone face to face...

...let the world put an end to pen friends/partners now...its false!

Steen...THERE MUST BE MORE to this than my above post and im thinking the recent pm's i got from SF might have a connection...but maybe not!

anyway...you go right a head and be freaky, weird and eccentric as a positive and I will happily dwell in a different paradigm as a positive… and any negativity that might be constructed or construed can remain as mere cyber junk…..which shouldn’t affect you cos …what ever is communicated “on line” has no ability to provide insight…despite you feeling you have insight into me by suggesting I was being negative (rather than developing a different perception on being a kneelo)…and I have no insight into you cos you are obviously…… too mysterious and dare I say…freaky, weird and eccentric

As An Aside
One of the wonderful things about pm’s is that for every vitriolic, bad mouthed, harshly worded one you get, you also get a very supportive and friendly one agreeing with your position.

Then you read in the forums that the person who sent you the foul tempered piece is happily communicating with the person who sent you the supportive piece and you wonder what would happen if they both read the pm’s that each had sent

but people do want to feel that they know (sort of) the people they communicate with online so its best to gloss over the ironies and contradictions

Mike F

Barwon Heads has just got a gated residential area called Sea Bank Some want to deface the B on the sign to W !

As an art teacher in a monocultural tending towards low income demographic school I get called eccentric etc by staff, parents and students...........as an art teachers perhaps should!

as a kneeboarder I think its time to find positives outside these descriptions because at times they seem like ways of hiding from the idea that we dont stand.

PS: ? is the perception of another true...or are one's conceptions true :?:
merely labled
john -

Post by john - »

[b]as a kneeboarder I think its time to find positives outside these descriptions because at times they seem like ways of hiding from the idea that we dont stand.......so we must be E,W & f.[/b]

my opinion only and not solid..... SO NO OFFENCE ....more an exploration away from common descriptions
merely labled
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

john - wrote:[quote="Steeno
I dont particularly take any appreciation in you seeming to know me
quote]

that could work both ways :idea:

last time we communicated Steen, it was on the topic of 'respect ' you seemed quite civil and then there was the time you offered the info on our trip into northern NSW.

So I assume you sour tatse at me making an observation about you after a few years of reading your posts...looking at your pics and so forth... means that all of this internet stuff is really not worth it unless you meet someone face to face...

...let the world put an end to pen friends/partners now...its false!

Steen...THERE MUST BE MORE to this than my above post and im thinking the recent pm's i got from SF might have a connection...but maybe not!

anyway...you go right a head and be freaky, weird and eccentric as a positive and I will happily dwell in a different paradigm as a positive… and any negativity that might be constructed or construed can remain as mere cyber junk…..which shouldn’t affect you cos …what ever is communicated “on line” has no ability to provide insight…despite you feeling you have insight into me by suggesting I was being negative (rather than developing a different perception on being a kneelo)…and I have no insight into you cos you are obviously…… too mysterious and dare I say…freaky, weird and eccentric

As An Aside
One of the wonderful things about pm’s is that for every vitriolic, bad mouthed, harshly worded one you get, you also get a very supportive and friendly one agreeing with your position.

Then you read in the forums that the person who sent you the foul tempered piece is happily communicating with the person who sent you the supportive piece and you wonder what would happen if they both read the pm’s that each had sent

but people do want to feel that they know (sort of) the people they communicate with online so its best to gloss over the ironies and contradictions

Mike F

Barwon Heads has just got a gated residential area called Sea Bank Some want to deface the B on the sign to W !

As an art teacher in a monocultural tending towards low income demographic school I get called eccentric etc by staff, parents and students...........as an art teachers perhaps should!

as a kneeboarder I think its time to find positives outside these descriptions because at times they seem like ways of hiding from the idea that we dont stand.

PS: ? is the perception of another true...or are one's conceptions true :?:

[/quote]
After all that waffling on John...all I meant was

"I dont particularly take any appreciation in you seeming to know me, and redirecting my opinion"

I would always write here, I dont PM.

What has simon got to do with this :?: that was very leftfield thing to say :roll:

In the future, If I would like your opinion on me, , I will ask

dad
coach
godfather
halbs

who's pushing the envelope

Post by halbs »

Every bloke that paddles out on a Flashpoint, Blast , Drift , Parkes or another brand of crafted kneeboard and does his best to surf the wave he paddled into to the best of his ability is promoting kneeboarding. The guys in the US the guys throughout Oz, NZ the UK and Indo surf hard and continue to promote the sport, everytime someone new sees you and thinks geesus did you see that...you have done well.

Also I continue to kneel alone, I have not surfed with another kneelo for maybe over ten years, so we need to keep surfing and pushing our own limits!!
getting there is often as good as getting there
john -

Post by john - »

Mr Steen

My SF mention was just to inquire why the stance…anything to do with his un- happiness with me? Seems not! Last time you posted after mine…about a month a go…. I got a rather angry pm from SF…But Im not going to dig up that topic…you may remember writing …“let it be”

In general this site (and this thread) is all about offering opinions…why are you different or why is it different for me! So many people have offered a positive opinion on line towards you (directly and indirectly) Steen and yet you have not pulled them up

Did David Parkes…for instance…ask you to offer your opinion on him and what he has achieved for kneeboarding?

my mention of pm's was about the ironic approaches we all take...I feel your .....In the future, If I would like your opinion on me, , I will ask ".....

.......is just another example!

bye
merely labled
gene west

what

Post by gene west »

this thread is so lame, whose prettier-Paris or Brittany(Mike, don't answer brah, we know who you'll pick), fins forward or fins back,remove the wax or leave it on....kooks!
geno
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

I know Dave personally, and have for over 15 years, i have not formed an opinion on text written by him, and none of it was negative..... it was all positive

once again " let it be"

dad
coach
godfather
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I agree with halbs. Every time we, as kneeboarders paddle out among other surfers we possess the ability to promote kneeboarding. Or not :oops: As I'm sure I've said before, I've lived a sheltered life up here in North Oregon. When I moved here in 1978 there were only about 10 to 15 core surfers and 4 were kneelos. The kneelos held an esteemed place in the hierarchy due to their tube riding proficiency. What they may have lacked in maneuverability on their short twinfin fish, they more than made up for with their big, hollow wave charging at our cold, rock lined points. After a year or so of being ignored I was begrudgingly accepted into the fold. Due to increasing crowds in the early 80's the other kneelos either moved to other locales, quit surfing or took up other forms of wave riding. That has left me, except for a couple of part timers, as the only kneelo in this area for the past 20-25 years :!: So that means for hundreds upon hundreds of surfers in the past 20-25 years I am, for the majority of those surfers in this area, their sole exposure to kneeboarding. And although my main reason for kneeboarding is now and always has been for the pure joy it brings to me, I have always felt a deep obligation to present my chosen form of wave riding to the masses in the best possible light. And because I've been here seemingly forever, every young grom who has started their surfing life around here has known what kneeboarding is about and thought of it as a viable form of wave riding. So in that regard, I've been blessed. Never a discouraging word. Only positive vibes. Back in the mid-90's I had a footboarder friend return from Indo and tell me of a kneelo he had seen surfing there and that kneelo was perhaps the best surfer, kneelo or standup, that he had ever seen. My friend thought this kneelo was from Oz and his name might be Simon. And I have friends that surf in California and when they see a kneelo they strike up a conversation and mention their own kneelo at home and sometimes those kneelos say they have heard of a " Jerry the kneeboarder " and I think of Don and the positives of this site, and I think of the kneelos in the Philippines I've met and who know nothing of the KSUSA and don't care to. So many of us just doing our own thing in so many remote areas of the world. Man, am I rambling or what :evil: Sorry, what I meant to say is : We all promote the sport, for better or for worse. Surf hard, surf with style, don't back out. Stay in shape. Nothing you can do about being the " old guy " but you don't have to be the " fat, old guy " Sorry for the rant. N.W. winds ruined the surf today. Yesterday was sunny and way overhead. And I still have a buzz :wink:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Bill E.

Re: who's pushing the envelope

Post by Bill E. »

"Also I continue to kneel alone, I have not surfed with another kneelo for maybe over ten years, so we need to keep surfing and pushing our own limits!!"

I agree on this one , I havent been in the water with another kneeboarder for 25+ years. I hear people say they saw another, but I havent. There used to be a few kneelos up here back in the late 70's, but they are all gone.

I have been up here since 74 and I think one of the reasons I laid off for years is that I was tired of watchin stand-ups that werent up to the level I was at in kneeboardin. At least people up here are responsive to me and the level of the standups has increased greatly. So has the amaizing amount of people. Used to be 10 was crowded and now its 30+. At least I stand my ground and experience gets the best waves.

Yeah Jerry it was hot on sat and I almost wish I hadnt charged as hard in thurs and friday cause now I just feel worked. I think last time I took more gas was when I was a teen. But I just like it more and try goin for it more.[/quote]
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed