Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

George Greenough
38%
Steve Lis
12%
Peter Crawford
15%
John Mel
4%
David Parkes
31%

Total votes: 52

Bumps
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bumps »

Wow,

It's great to see and read the kneeboarding community that is represented on this web site is a reflection of the greater whole, as such many opinions are expressed and debated. The web is truely an amazing tool for the sharing and debating of idea's.

My 'Paris', contributions to this thread...... I thank every kneeboarder, shaper, surfer and inventor that has contributed to making every surf I have possible. I'm very fortunate to be part of a style of surfing and lifestyle which has given me so much enjoyment.

The list of people (not just the list) that are mentioned in this thread (and those who aren't), for the want of a better description, 'legends'. Most, if asked would probably react like Simon, with dignity and humility. They did or are still doing it because they love it!

Kneeboarder and damn proud of it!

Regards

Garry
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

WHO HAS DONE MORE FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF KNEEBOARDING :?:
ALL OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED. :D
AND MANY MORE BUT MOST OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO RIDE THEM NO MATTER WHAT AGE,SEX OR CREED THEY ARE8)
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
Doc Turbo

Owen Churchill

Post by Doc Turbo »

A legend to learn about, and frankly I know nothing about him, other than this by line in Wikipedia. Obviously not the number one contributor to KB but an important one... 8)

"Owen Churchill, already a wealthy man, became a multi-millionaire from his "invention" of the first popular swim fin, which gained in use in the late 1930s and early 1940s. The income from his then-patented and now-commonplace device let him pursue his passion of competitive sailing. Churchill became the primary patron and team captain of the United States Olympic Yachting team at both the 1932 (Los Angeles) and 1936 (Berlin) Olympic Games. Churchill was also a lifetime member of the Los Angeles Yacht Club, where memorabilia of his exploits is on display to this day. During the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, special recognition was given to Churchill by Peter Ueberroth for his lifelong efforts to promote sailing. Churchill's Star Fleet yacht, The Angelita, was fully restored for the occasion and re-christened at the time in Los Angeles harbor. "

Can anyone add to the History of the Churchill Fin....
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by wolruss »

Yeah gotta agree Mallee, especially the more "mature aged" kneeboarders that are still doing it well into the retirement years 8) 8) - just waiting for the retirement bit to catch up to me .... :lol: :lol: being a young whippersnapper an' all, of course I wouldn't know about all of that :lol: :lol: .... but I'll agree with you out of respect for the older crew.

Cheers Wolruss
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'll have to look for notes in an old file re: Churchill. I interviewed him back in 1982 for an article I was writing on the history of swim fins. Neve did write that article but did collect a ton of info - especially great stuff on Duck Feet.
kbing since plywood days
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Surfhorn, that would be awesome with your own personal interview. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
balzig777
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: Who has done more for the advancement of kneeboarding?

Post by balzig777 »

Mike Fernandez wrote:Apologies if I left anyone out.
Sorry Simon, you have done a great deal IMHO, but alas, you are too young! :D :wink:
You too Don :wink:
Brother not many kneelos might remember me but I've shaped massive amount of kneeboards for some of the best kneeriders around, I am not ready for the legends listyet, I just thought i"d chime in from the grave....
made on earth, if it aint you don't know where its made later..............balestar
Ler

Post by Ler »

all them epic, but before this website I never knew any of them. I really didn't know about the history of kneeboarding, I just did it. I love what they did and do for kneelo, but growing up. I never heard of them, but I started late in the game by 1978. My vote would be the local guys around HB.

Ler
Jack Beresford

balestar

Post by Jack Beresford »

Mr. Balestar - great to see you surface here on the Web site. Hope all is well. I still have a Balestar in my quiver (a 5'10 I rider on bigger days) it's 10+ years old but still rocks!

Jack
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hey Tom!

I still have Balestars in my quiver as well...

Last time I saw you was one ugly night in Costa Rica...

Welcome! Good to hear from you!

Bob Schiff

On another note, Jack... heard you've been busy! Something about SDSU, perhaps? :wink: c/o Mr. Chapman, who sends his regards...
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Great to see you here Mr. Balestar, I have seen some of you boards. They look great man! I'm from the 70's/early 80's era of HB, so I am kinda out of touch with anything since then, until now.
Great to see you here. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
balzig777

Post by balzig777 »

Mike Fernandez wrote:Great to see you here Mr. Balestar, I have seen some of you boards. They look great man! I'm from the 70's/early 80's era of HB, so I am kinda out of touch with anything since then, until now.
Great to see you here. :wink:
Yes I believe it is time for a meat pie brother!
made on earth, if it aint you don't know where its made later..............balestar
Razor
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Razor »

welcome Thomas new stick is sweet ready for indo thanks brother
balzig777

Post by balzig777 »

Razor wrote:welcome Thomas new stick is sweet ready for indo thanks brother
cool razor, I was stoked that you came to watch it get shaped and add your input. hope you score in indo! and I got your extra plugs to take along.