The history of (Mavericks Phil) Curtis

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

The history of (Mavericks Phil) Curtis

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Please stick to historical facts about the person, or well founded rumors, but no opinions (IE:I think George Greenough is great because he invented the spoon.) This does no good in attaining the history of the person. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Last edited by surfhorn on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbing since plywood days
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

This is ( Mavericks Phil ) Curtis, click on pic for a bigger view.

:arrow: [albumimg]144[/albumimg]
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
gumby

Post by gumby »

Mike Are you asking alot of questions or upset at someone? :wink:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
KenM

Post by KenM »

Mike I met Phil (Curtis) at the 2003 contest in Santa Cruz. I can tell you he is as impressive of a person as he is a kneeboarder. That year he hosted Frencho, Ivan, and Jose from Puerto Rico. Phil was kind enough to invite me over to see his Mavericks boards shaped by Rich Pavel and John Mel. He was also proud to show me a poster size photo of himself sharing a wave at Mavericks with his good friend the late Jay Moriarty (Phil was riding BEHIND Jay). He was also quite proud of his custom Mike Eaton paddleboard. When the surf reaching the size I'm thinking it's too big, Phil is thinking it might ALMOST be big enough to paddle out. As for a "historical fact", he told me the Pavel board was the first board on which he was able to successfully make a bottom turn at Mavericks
-----------------------
Auto pilot monkey.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I remember having a great dinner at Jon Manns house during the 2007 Kneeboarding World Championships in Santa Cruz. Phil Curtis was there, and we were all talking about Phil's broken rib he suffered at Mavericks. I asked Phil how big were the waves. He paused for a while, so I asked him if they were as big as the tree behind him. He nodded about that size. That tree was probably about four stories high. I will never forget that conversation.

Rocky Point/Black Rock