RIP Kenny The Mechanic

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

RIP Kenny The Mechanic

Post by surfhorn »

While not a kneelo, Kenny was one of my surf buddies and close friend for over 25 years. Surfers are individuals and Kenny fit the bill to a T. He had the utmost respect for kneeboarders and is one of the few LBers who could ride the deep and steep with us.

Kenny lived out of his tricked out 1962 GMC Suburban and worked on everybody's cars from Santa Cruz to the Ranch to San Diego. He knew every nook and cranny of the California coastline and always caught the best of any swell. He was a member of the Santa Cruz Longboard UNion and the Pleasure POint Night fighters back in the days when they were the law/enforcers of Pleasure Point.

Ken was room mates with Henry Ford at one time, worked on the late Dale Velzey's hot rods and did some of the electrical wiring at Stewart's surfboard factory. He also was the engineer/crew on Peter Fonda's sloop, the Tatoosh. Definitely a jack of all trades.

I'm flying to SoCal to serve as pall bearer and - I just found out - will deliver the eulogy. If any of you knew Kenny or knew of him, you're welcome to the service on Thursday. Here is a little email I sent out to his friends and family:

Funeral for Kenny 'The Mechanic' Ludwig this Thursday March 13th.

Kenny "The Mechanic" Ludwig (b. 9/21/56) was well known for the magic he performed repairing surfer's cars, trucks and boats while driving up and down the California coast in his vintage tan-colored 1962 GMC Suburban. He was dubbed "Mechanic to the Surf Stars" by the Santa Cruz surf media.

He was an accomplished longboarder, migrating to a longer board in the early 1980's, well before the beginning of the longboard resurgence.

Kenny grew up in Long Beach, moving to Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz where he lived on and off for 35 years. He was a member of the Pleasure Point Night Fighters and the Santa Cruz Longboard Union.

Kenny passed away in early February in Hawaii while on his annual, extended surf trip. He passed away in his sleep from a heart attack.

Funeral: 10 AM Thursday
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
6220 E. Willow Street Long Beach CA.
562-594-4657

Reception to follow at Ludwig residence
2150 McNab Ave. Long Beach.

In lieu of flowers, donations are asked to be sent to the Surfrider Foundation PO Box 6010 San Clemente, CA 92674 "in memory of Kenny 'The Mechanic' Ludwig".

A paddle-out in Santa Cruz will take place later this spring.

Info: Dan Young 831-239-6322
Mrs. Mary Ludwig 562-596-9449
kbing since plywood days
randiego

Post by randiego »

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure you're honored to be delivering his eulogy.

randy
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
wino
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by wino »

Sounds like your friend lived a very full life and did it on his terms.

RIP Kenny "The Mechanic"
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dan

Max respect for Kenny. Have heard about him befor. he will be missed.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
hansel
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by hansel »

im sorry to hear it,
sounds like he lived a full, good life.

rip. kenny