John Adams

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

SFKneelo

John Adams

Post by SFKneelo »

No topic in life rips into me as what I am about to post.

John Adams has 3rd stage pancreatic cancer. He was given six months to live.

I shout this out to the Surfing world, and as high as the heavens!

JOHN ADAMS! NO!

I won't, and can't, in this post even begin.

The news came after suspicions in late July, which became all too real mid-August.

He rests at USC under a clinical trial.

There's a huge depth of support. Between many families that include top medical talent in a variety of disciplines, John has chosen a course that has him at USC right now.

He rests tonight after a heavy round of chemo. The details bring more tears.

I leave you with this for now. There's news flowing from sources, but please ask me. I will share what I know.

MY BROTHER DIES!

Anything I would do, and little I can.

If you're awake tonight, listen to the soundtrack on the Then and Now. Johhny Boy is the kick-ass drummer in Vesper and CooperSmith.

I would appreciate this thread to voice in on my good friend's life thus far. He is a true spirit that I will reflect and smile on in my final days.

With that, I sign off.

The rest is bull.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

the love of the world be with john

many many thoughts
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

This is horrible, i dont know john well but i know what a great guy he is...

when i first got on the website he was the first one to send me a pm...congradulating me on joining the kneelo brotherhood ,

he invited me to his house and showed me his recording room and his quiver and loned me his quad ballestar, the board he rode at pipeline in hawaii...which i trashed when it flew off the roof rack of beelines car on pch.....but he didnt care , he was sooooo cool about it all.....

later we chilled and talked at the trestles gathering for a bit, i wish we wouldve hung out more...

hes such a talented musician and good person it pains me to hear of his condition...

John gave me soo much stoke back then ill remember him forever til we meet again at the great gig in the sky,..
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Wow - this sucks! John is a great guy - so full of life. We tried to get in a couple of surfs but mother nature was not cooperating. Geez - I'm so bummed...... Whatever higher being you may believe in - time to call in a few markers....
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

So sorry to ever hear news of this nature.

It tends to put things into perspective. . .

John is in my thoughts and my family's prayers.

Let us know if there is any way we can help.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Im absolutely shattered reading this post.
If anyone has the opportunity to speak with John or his wife Michelle please pass on my love & prayers.
John is a beautiful warm hearted man that opened his arms wide with friendship to me the very first time we spoke & has been nothing more than a generous, funny, caring, selfless person to me & my family.
My kids are praying for you tonight my friend.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

speechless.......
such a cool guy. we spoke briefly on how much he loved Moloka'i.
one of those guys who was instantly a Kama'aina the moment he got off the plane. our prayers are with you bro.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Dang.

Love and prayers to John and his family.
kbing since plywood days
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

John Adams...

I encourage any and all to elaborate and fill in gaps.

Before I met John at UCSD, here are a few things I know.

I'll skip family for the moment, and fill that in as I go. All will say is that John is one of many close to me that is the offspring of a Physician.

There's probably a good expanation, and maybe there's a 'skip generation' clause in there... :wink: I don't think I could give one without a healthy dose of pontification. :twisted:

John is a graduate of the Punahou School on Oahu. Punahou has always been known as a top-flight school with faculty and students that are among the elite watermen on the planet.

More recently, it's known for Barack Obama's attendance.

Did John know Barack?

Yes, yes he did. It's was hairy.

High school in the 70's meant hair. John has hair. Big hair. And it was REALLY big back in the day.

[fullalbumimg]18217[/fullalbumimg]

Mr. Adonis himself!

Besides the surf, John was a High School wrestler. Barack Obama was on the basketball team. Their lockers were two apart, and Barack's favorite interaction with John was a good ribbing about his blonde 'fro.

John never told me how he responded back to Barack. I'm guessing a Zeh-style chest thumping. Even if it would be years before Zeh.

There's a couple of friends of John's from that time that's always been there, and their names come up time and again.

I've met Randy in Oahu, and as he's travelled out to Laguna. He's one fit mofo, and enjoys his time doing insane free-dives, hunting boar and other game in the recesses of the islands, and taking on some good-sized surf. He used to work for Menehune water before leaving for the rural life on Molokaii.

Kemo is another that's come up time and again. We haven't met, so I hope someone jumps in.

John has always talked about that lanai on Molokaii with his name on it. The plan is always the same. I am to join him over there, drink tall cocktails, talk story, and chase the groms away. Randy and Kemo are closeby.

There's a connection with Kalani Robb through his friends, which has led to the occassional visit to Pupukea...

Hawaii has always figured prominitely with John.

Then again, so has the German language. I'd say a big WTF, but I ended up with Latin after all of the other language classes were full.

I thought he might have considered a demographics course, but found out it helps him with another natural passion: the ladies.

My leftovers are a vague understanding of the etymology of 52% of the English language... John has always been the bright one!

John has a few expressions that are patently his... a big Yaa-BOY I think kinda led to his Johnny-Boy nickname.

But, with the ladies, when the topic came up, and it did often, his trademark is feigning firing up the biggest harley hog to say time to go a-ridin'

Handlebar height is always Easy Rider style.

Never has there been a wimpy engine running. We're talking a drummer here.

Folks here know of John's musical skills as a drummer in Simon's flix.

Here's John in recent times, rehearsing with the crew:

[fullalbumimg]18201[/fullalbumimg]

Apparently, he can sing with the band too!

[fullalbumimg]18213[/fullalbumimg]

Here's belting one out with Jen...

[fullalbumimg]18212[/fullalbumimg]

But, to start on topic, everyone knows he's a kneelo.

He wasn't always, but he is always open to new ideas and craft.

As we became friends, he started getting my older boards as the quiver allowed. Most of those were Balestars.

He eventually started ordering his own from Tom. Right now he's sitting on more Balestars than me. I have one 5'10" left that was a dream board on tropics trips. He has mostly 5'7" boards that worked just fine for our then-lighter frames.

Eventually, Don got me onto Parkes boards, and John once again began getting my old boards, and once again had David shape him one... two? I lost count.

Anyhow, those are 5'8", as John has continued to stay in great shape. He was saying he was in 'the shape of his life' when his appendix burst in July, escalating to the current situation shortly thereafter.

John recently, in great shape! (BTW, he's a great cook and LOVES his salsas!)

[fullalbumimg]18204[/fullalbumimg]

Here's Johnny back where he loves:

[fullalbumimg]18206[/fullalbumimg]

There's one thing about John and me going surfing.

EVERY session, without fail, and I see it coming EVERY time... he drops me once.

Hard.

EVERY TIME!

I smile and try to keep up with him. I ask him every time why he does it, and he smiles at me.

The more recent days before settling down with my now-sizeable family, we would head straight over to the beach volleyball courts and play a few rounds... sip a drink or not... maybe head out for the glass-off. They were classic times filled with surf.

Many of those sessions were Uppers. He would also travel South and hook up for surfs with Mark Buck at TableTops, and Mean-Old-Twan in Del Mar. Hope those guys can sound in, as 'the Cave' was a common ground for all of us, and then some...

This first little segment ends before I go back to us meeting.

For those of you that would like to share, I applaud and encourage you.

This is just my perspective, and shrouded by many, many events that we've both experienced over the years. Besides adding more, I will go back through the segments and elaborate as the thoughts arise. (Or, someone reminds me that I shouldn't revise history...)

There is a distribution list for those that would like to know his progress.

I've now offered the keeper of the distribution list this thread to add their perspectives. I may be posting for folks if they wish to avoid registration...

As of this posting, he is still at USC under a clinical trial, and has undergone chemo.

There were ups and downs, but the last report is that he is to moved out of ICU to a normal room.

I and we pray that the cancer shrinks from the 1.5cm to the .5cm threshold to consider an operative means to remove the cancer.

Beyond that, there are complications about the location and inter-connection with vital arteries/veins.

Food is the big topic. We hope and pray he gathers his strength for the next round.
Last edited by SFKneelo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWROBERTSON

John

Post by MWROBERTSON »

John, No!

Such a great guy. Had a super fun session in Oceanside with him Don and Barry somtime back. Gosh, it seems like last year? We had Mexican food afterward in San Celmente. Where I was surved a rock inside my enchliada. John laughed his ass off. Loved his drumming and surfing.

My thoughts and prayers are there!
Scott

Post by Scott »

SF Kneelo,

Thanks for the indepth and interesting biography on him. Sounds like there's a lot more where that came from! Yes, I pray he recovers quickly and completely...
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Our prayers are with him and his family
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

SF Kneelo - Thanx for sharing. I met John on this site and found out we were both musicians. We have kept in touch about our musical exploits and projects and had offered to add horns to his next project. I still plan on doing that!

I've gone through this same thing with family & friends over the past 3 years; first my brother then my long time surf buddy. It really pulls the stuffing out of you so I know what you must be feeling, SF Kneelo. Hold your family close and enjoy each and every day.

If John needs anything let us know. I have a lot of contacts in LA so if any of us can do anything to make John's day a little easier, just say the word.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
Jack Beresford

John

Post by Jack Beresford »

John,

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you. You've always been an original and a free spirit - going back to our UCSD days. I've been fortunate to have crossed paths with you over the years and we've shared many happy times - many of which we can remember. I'm hopeful there are many more of those good times ahead!

Jack