John Adams

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Happy Birthday, Johnny Boy!

I finally got to visit John at USC last week. He had a steady stream of visitors, all of which drove from some distance.

From my visit:

[fullalbumimg]18216[/fullalbumimg]

There were several other pix, but I was a bit apprehensive... when I jumped up next to him, he kinda looked at me and said "You know, if you slip, I'm dead" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jenn has been taking great care of old JB, and what an amazing role she fills!

It's still a tough road, and one that was developing even while I was there.

Again, interested folks, please let me know if you'd like to be on distribution.

Anyhow, next installment: How I met John

I've mentioned this thread to John, and he hasn't been able to see it yet, but is full of stoke knowing some of the tidbits that we've shared.

This next piece, as well as those that followed, are happily muddied by our collective recollection of what actually happened.

UCSD in the early eighties. John was at Third college. I was at Revelle, and managed into the watersport mudhut Atlantis. They are on opposite ends of the campus, but every 'hot spot' on campus was quickly laid out regardless of where your pillow was.

Warren had that (was it the Commons?) It was an often-used indoor facility with a good-sized deck that looked over the spaceship. Muir had the towers, and the greatest concentration of the ladies.

Atlantis was Octoberfest, an outdoor volleyball court, and the obligitory climb up the side of the building to refill your beer. There were attacks on Beagle, and a very hard return from Fogcutters, of which we saw the last one... I guess Octoberfest too.

It wasn't SDSU, but those days had some soul. John Sundt threw some great parties at the Farms pad, the surf team was strong, and Bill Lerner ruled the waters on the local kneelo circuit, with Bill Sharp ruling SDSU.
Jack and Chris were coming on strong. A lot of others of you were there, and there were a lot of kneelos.

Wino... Greg Little... Ambrose (was really good at rollos) Matt... jeez. On and on.

The Lowenbrau was winding down. The key was still the goal, with parking permission a very close second.

Skateboarding was the primary mode to get around. Pimping beer was the norm, but not very hard.

This was before the Elephant Bar, and there was practically no Greek System.

Kegs happened after Surf Club/Team meetings.

Early Fall is filtered light, and beautiful conditions. Nights are still warm until the late October, early November desert-driven cold offshores. Folks roam.

A mudhut full of surfers, swimmers, and waterpolo players is a great mixture. It's a darn good thing the structure was cinderblock. The gals in the mudhut were, for the vast majority, awesome. But that's home turf, and folks roam.

The night I met John was one of those nights. Ending up at Third was dicey. They had some great parties, but it was more of an almost townhouse feel, with groups separated into maybe 10-12 units per building. A raucus gathering is an odd thing, and only become more odd as the years rolled on.

That was a good night at Third. Or Ugly. Kinda both. As much as I can remember, I can't recall if that was the year a high school buddy (Dale) transferred from Colorado, or the year before. I do remember a cast of characters that to this day I'm proud to call my friends.

The wanderers from Revelle ran smack dab into a shin-dig that was rocking. That was the night I met John, Mean-old-Twan, Miner, Guardino, and a host of others. It was boozy. I woke up in a random gal's room, and did the skate of shame outta there the next day. John was equally occupied.

JACK!
[fullalbumimg]18199[/fullalbumimg]

One thing about John...While he is the most gracious and thoughtful person. He is a natural persona, and is comfortable in any situation. He rolls into the night just as naturally as the day. A great time surrounded by Jack-n-Coke, Zeppelin booming, the one surf-flick running over-and-over, and whateva else you wanted. Drunken skateboarding, strange contusions... Roberto's runs... all the ideals of the young away from constraints.

The difference between us that night was John fired up the Harley, and I think all I left were drool-marks on some disgusted and as I remember quite unattractive gal's pillow.

Many reading can relate. It's not that unusual. But that's how we met. At least I think so. As far as I can remember. I know it was well before 1990.

Suddenly, the clans between Third and Revelle were connected.

He, Miner and Matt had a band called... 'The Three Dudes.' A brown bag title for a band that rocked many a party.

Good days started to roll and evolve. Most folks can only stay on campus for a year, maybe two... hardly ever for the duration.

For most of those that I knew, that meant an eventual migration to one of the off-campus surf-house rentals. These are mostly 9-month leases that allowed for peak Summer fares. It usually worked out well for all involved.

The surf-houses carried names like 'The Pink House', 'Entropy North', 'The Bubble House', and the subject of the next installment: The Cave.

Here's the Cave, in all it's 'Glory'

[fullalbumimg]18203[/fullalbumimg]

From L to R: John, Mean-Old-Twon on the floor, Miner biting the board, and Matt. The Three Dudes, plus Mean-Old-Twon!

Again, anyone that was 'more there than I was :wink: ,' please feel free to jump in!

Happy Birthday again, JB! :D 8)
Last edited by SFKneelo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

talkin story

Post by Jack Beresford »

Awesome pub crawl down memory lane Bob! I can almost taste the Lucky Lager! You were always quite the ladies man - but this is the Internet so I'll save those stories for the bar at Santa Cruz!

The Three Dudes rocked many a party in our Del Mar years. It still seems a contradiction in terms that the surf club could have a "Semi-Formal?" John was a brother in arms throughout many of those crazy years. I hope your stories brighten his days.

Jack
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Celebration of Life and Love

I'd like to take this moment to share what great spirits these two are.

[fullalbumimg]18209[/fullalbumimg]

They're a good-looking couple, John's puka shells and all!

[fullalbumimg]18202[/fullalbumimg]

(Seems to be a trend with bling-bling around da neck... :wink:)

Jen is a graphic artist. As John's condition deteriorated quickly, Jen left her work to care for John full-time.

It's a LOT of care, and requires a special person to handle all that the situation presents.

John's former wife Michelle is also very, very supportive and, as you can imagine, so are his family. His sister is moving back to the OC and plans on spending much time together.

Bob 'the Slob' (could be easily mistaken for this Bob) has now adopted their two Boston Terriers. The entourage is trying to help any way we can.

John finds every way to be himself through all of this...

[fullalbumimg]18210[/fullalbumimg]

He misses food, but still cooks up a storm. This was pretty typical of Chef:
[fullalbumimg]18200[/fullalbumimg]

As the days rolled on, changes were taking place in John's appearance. Usually around 150-155lbs, he eventually was down around 119lbs. He's now hovering around 130... that's good!

John celebrating Jen's birthday this year:
[fullalbumimg]18207[/fullalbumimg]

In a previous post, there's the picture of us. He was at a cross-roads with chemo treatments and really bad reactions to them. Does he continue on attacking the cancer, or just treat the symptoms to be comfortable.

He came home for his Birthday, and I'm happy to report he went back on the attack with more chemo.

John and Jen on John's Birthday: December 2nd.
[fullalbumimg]18215[/fullalbumimg]

We now approach Christman Eve. Just wanted to say I love you both, and hope you have the merriest Christmas!

John and Jen are already well into the spirit. They plan on hunkering down to "It's a Wonderful Life" tonight.

[fullalbumimg]18205[/fullalbumimg]

Here's to the fabulous couple!

[fullalbumimg]18208[/fullalbumimg]

Happy Holidays Everyone!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Thanks Bob 8)
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

like Brad said....thanks Bob
keep on fightin JA 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
randiego

Post by randiego »

Yes Bob, thanks for sharing these. Our best wishes for you, and especially for your friend John. 8) 8)

"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
jim richardson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jim richardson »

I don't know John but I can relate. Thanks for the update Bob. Best of luck continued health and happiness to John and Jen in the new year.
USC has quite a program and they do work miracles everyday.

My wife had started a drug trial at UCI Med. Center in her fight against melanoma. She had great success while on the study but then had to drop out due to a secondary lung infection. She is a miracle and proof that statistics don't mean much unless you let them. In 1996 her original diagnosis (stage 4 metastatic melanoma) was that she would not survive more than 8 months. Here we are 13 years later and she is still fighting. Even though she has had some recent set backs she and I are still working towards the future. Everyday is a blessing

Johns story is inspirational and I will tell her about it in the morning. Keep the faith John.
Thanks again Bob for sharing it in this post.

Merry Christmas
SURFSURFSURF
MWROBERTSON

john

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Keep fightin John! M 8) erry X-mas
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Last edited by RMcKnee on Thu May 28, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

I don't know John or Jen, but, urge you both to keep on fighting May you find strength in each others love and overcome this. Thinking of you, Wayne
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

We're in a difficult place with John.

The details of the ordeal are heartbreaking.

Not going into many details, I actually said good-bye on Monday.

His kidneys have failed, but he's currently on dialysis.

This move is just enough to allow him to remove the tube in his throat and share his final thoughts.

I hope to talk to him one more time. If you have a similar desire and are not connected in, please contact me.

Our prayers are with John and his ohana.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

:cry:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

So sad! Prayers for John's friends and family.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Update:

Thanks to those that sent PMs. The final, final included your thoughts, wishes, and prayers.

He's now being weened off life support. He is with his family now, and only his family. 48 hours or less.

Thinking of you, Johnny Boy!
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Thank you Bob for contacting John.
I hope everyone says a prayer for this beautiful man + Jen, family & Michelle.
Last edited by Sparrow on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.