The History of Michael Novakov

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

Fossil Man wrote:Thanks Southpeak, I was wondering what his preference is these days on fin set-ups. I think in all that footage from Waterslaughter he was on some kind of twinnie but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Waterslaughter...great surf flick w/ classic Nov and Simon, anyone out there able to make a copy of that ?
He was riding tri fins in that video. He's a tri-fin advocate, he doesn't like quads- he won't touch them.

The 360 loops people are mentioning are his trademark forehand move, the 360-off-the-lip. It looks amazing being done on a big, dredging alley rights section. The barrell roll is his backhand signature.

I seem to have inherited that, I can't even begin to pull a barrel roll on my forehand, but I can pop them on my backhand. Same goes with the 360s, only I can't do them on my backhand.

And thanks wolruss and Grant. :)
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Sorry Nov, I didn't see the 3rd fin , ( thought that board had a lot of drive for a " twinnie" ) . Your Dad's "the bomb", just thinking about trying some of the moves you guys pull off is enough to put me in traction. Good on ya !
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Johnboy Walton
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Johnboy Walton »

Nov wrote:
Fossil Man wrote:Thanks Southpeak, I was wondering what his preference is these days on fin set-ups. I think in all that footage from Waterslaughter he was on some kind of twinnie but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Waterslaughter...great surf flick w/ classic Nov and Simon, anyone out there able to make a copy of that ?
He was riding tri fins in that video. He's a tri-fin advocate, he doesn't like quads- he won't touch them.

The 360 loops people are mentioning are his trademark forehand move, the 360-off-the-lip. It looks amazing being done on a big, dredging alley rights section. The barrell roll is his backhand signature.

I seem to have inherited that, I can't even begin to pull a barrel roll on my forehand, but I can pop them on my backhand. Same goes with the 360s, only I can't do them on my backhand.

I've been a big fan and will freely admit that a highlight of my comp surfing was being the same first rnd heat as Nov snr at the 1988 State Titles on the central coast - Nov 1st, JBW 2nd - I was a very stoked 16 yr old. I can recall Nov riding a big(ish) wave board, tri fin rounded pin with the middle fin removed. My 2nd heat was not so memorable - copped Steen and Baden, with me 3rd or 4th and out.

All of my school books had pics of Nov on them, generally upside under the lip on the lefts at Narrabeen from mag articles, old HB ads and Daniel ads - would stare at them for hours. I lost count of how many times water slaughter was watched and continually rewound to watch Nov (and Simon). I've always been of the view Nov was a tri fin with no middle fin at wrecky, until now (unless of course his middle fin was an invisible one - surfing ahead of his time, fin technology ahead of its time, its makes perfect sense;)).

Also, there was feature of Nov in SW in the mid-late eighties - it had a full page spread with a pic of Nov snr standing in a garage/shed with an ultra cool 60's VW beetle in the background and two boards (both Daniels), one a sweet looking rounded pin tri fin, the other a square or diamond tail quad. Was the quad Nov's, was it there for amusement purposes, was he trying it and it was sh#t or did he even ride it all?

I've also seen Nov on a board at the old central coast contest with 'wings' or double edged rails, depending on your view of things - at the time it was the coolest thing I'd seen and he was ripping bid time. Back then his boards always had something different about them even if only slightly different and he ripped on them, a very cool cat and big time surfing talent.
stevea

THE History of Michael Novakov

Post by stevea »

It s not over yet

I did meet up with Nov while back in OZ he looks fit,,he s surfing heaps and as reported to me just recently tearing up the alley rights everyday

If i was in Novs division at the worlds id be praying for lefts although that would be in vain coz thats where he scores with the barrel roll ,but in my mind he is virtually unbeatable on rights given enough water time between now and then

His skill and athletisism were unmatched during his reign as the best kneeboard surfer on the planet now he is matched by several maybe a dozen world wide some younger some older than Nov ,his focus and determination by fewer makes for a very interesting World Title in 2011

If i could be president for a day ,id be trying my upmost to ensure Michael is there please mr president invite him now
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

You are right Steve guys like Nov deserve an invite. I watched him surf at the last worlds and he still impressed me with his surfing after 20 years.
Nov

Post by Nov »

Johnboy Walton wrote:
Nov wrote:

I've been a big fan and will freely admit that a highlight of my comp surfing was being the same first rnd heat as Nov snr at the 1988 State Titles on the central coast - Nov 1st, JBW 2nd - I was a very stoked 16 yr old. I can recall Nov riding a big(ish) wave board, tri fin rounded pin with the middle fin removed. My 2nd heat was not so memorable - copped Steen and Baden, with me 3rd or 4th and out.

All of my school books had pics of Nov on them, generally upside under the lip on the lefts at Narrabeen from mag articles, old HB ads and Daniel ads - would stare at them for hours. I lost count of how many times water slaughter was watched and continually rewound to watch Nov (and Simon). I've always been of the view Nov was a tri fin with no middle fin at wrecky, until now (unless of course his middle fin was an invisible one - surfing ahead of his time, fin technology ahead of its time, its makes perfect sense;)).

Also, there was feature of Nov in SW in the mid-late eighties - it had a full page spread with a pic of Nov snr standing in a garage/shed with an ultra cool 60's VW beetle in the background and two boards (both Daniels), one a sweet looking rounded pin tri fin, the other a square or diamond tail quad. Was the quad Nov's, was it there for amusement purposes, was he trying it and it was sh#t or did he even ride it all?

I've also seen Nov on a board at the old central coast contest with 'wings' or double edged rails, depending on your view of things - at the time it was the coolest thing I'd seen and he was ripping bid time. Back then his boards always had something different about them even if only slightly different and he ripped on them, a very cool cat and big time surfing talent.
I've asked about that shot too, the quad was just an experiment- he didn't like it, so it just sat there.

And that's one of his design trademarks- the double flyer rounded pin tail.
Tinso

Post by Tinso »

Yep, Nov was my inspiration as a wide-eyed 14yo with my first board (a yellow Pacific Dreams quad, if you can believe it!)
School books and bedroom walls were plastered with kneelo pics, most being Nov on his Daniel boards. Coming from Newcastle, I always thought it a crime that he remained virtually unknown outside of the kneelo community, despite having more than one world title to his credit. This was well before Slater, and no one dreamed MR would be surpassed with four! (Same goes for Simon!)
Nobody rips like Nov!
...but I like to be different...